PDA

View Full Version : Reference file and Dynamics problems

LuisGama
04-19-2010, 08:24 PM
Hi, i rigged a model that has multiple hair systems, lattices etc. Then i duplicated the original file several times, opened them individually and made some geometry/shader changes to break them up a bit, they still look the same, but some few subtle differences.

Now im on my main environment file, i started referencing the different files. The 1st one works fine, as soon as i reference the second "clone" the dynamics start behaving bad and the lattice deformes on translate.

As soon as i remove the 2nd reference, the 1st one behaves normally again.

Any ideas why this is happening?

I`m using maya2010.

LuisGama
04-20-2010, 12:04 PM
Help i`m desperate! :< Trow anything, as ive tried everything i could think of...

derik
04-20-2010, 01:02 PM
I'm not sure what you have tried already , but I'd say it is clashing names.

Does every reference have a unique namespace? If you are not using namespaces , try them.

If unique namespace names doesn't sort out your problem , go to each individual file and prefix the whole hierarchy with something , this will force every scene to have different names for all nodes in your rig.

I hope this helps.
Cheers

LuisGama
04-20-2010, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the idea Derik, yes im using name spaces, and was about to try your suggestion using comet rename tool. Wish me luck

LuisGama
04-20-2010, 05:37 PM
No luck, renamed all nodes of a reference file, referenced the file >hair system down the hole.

Seriously, i heard bad things about maya reference system, 1st time i try to use it, and it turns me down, bah...

Turned all the reference options on and off, resaved my files to .ma, made my files even more clean, dunno really, i have to send the file to the render farm tomorrow and im stuck ;(

aghawa
04-20-2010, 05:47 PM
Importing won't work instead of referencing?
I know it's more tedious to update later (well, you can always create a script that every time the scene launches, it imports the same files, so it's like a reference...but more expensive :P) but maybe it will solve your problems...if you have to send the work to the farm, i think that should be a good brute force approach to make things working.
Let me know

LuisGama
04-20-2010, 05:55 PM
Nope, tried to import and the same thing happens, no reference, flower is up and steady with the hair options i defined, as soon there is "another" hair system loaded the dynamics are still there but its like the flower is dieing with leafs flickering and stuff like that. ;|

derik
04-20-2010, 06:59 PM
Nuts! Sorry man , no more ideas on this side, personally , I've never tried referencing dynamic scenes together. I would be very interested to see the solution.
Good luck! I hope someone has some more ideas on this issue!.

ps.
I like your B-Movie entry btw... :thumbsup:

royg
04-20-2010, 07:08 PM
Could you post a screenshot of your outliner with multiple references in it?

LuisGama
04-20-2010, 08:52 PM
Thank you Derik!

Sure mate, here you go... http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/5059/testyx.jpg

At the moment i`m trying to maybe disconnect all the nucleus from the dynamics and plug everything into one, dunno if i`m capable to do that, but as i said, i`m trying everything ;(

LuisGama
04-20-2010, 10:54 PM
YAY, phew, this one almost got me, so close it was.

Ok the problem was the nucleus node, it was running at default substeps (4),fine for calculating 1 flower but not enough for 2,3,etc, SO, as i reference files with nucleus dependent nodes i need to rise the substeps to keep up with the calculations

Hope someone find this info usefull!

Thank you all, back to work now :)

CGTalk Moderation
04-20-2010, 10:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.