PDA

View Full Version : Mattepainting Notre dam Interior

Nysuatro
04-19-2010, 07:21 PM
Hey all, one of my assignments for school is making a mattepainting. The subject is " Paris in the air"

Setting :

- Steampunk
- Crazy fashion ( Galliano )
- High class
- Steampunk
- Interior
- Notre Dame

This is my first wip. Still have to get more fashion and steampunk in it. But every feedback is welcome.

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv356/Nysuatro/MattepaintingV9.jpg

RickBinkley
04-20-2010, 03:42 AM
I like the concept it very good.. the only thing I have a issue with is the view looking from the ground up. With that said the colors, texture, reflections, lighting it combines to give you a good feeling about the piece. Looking forward to seeing your future pieces.

Nysuatro
04-20-2010, 07:37 AM
Thank you for the reply. The low angle was one of the things I had to do for my teachers so I can't really solve that.

RickBinkley
04-20-2010, 01:16 PM
Thank you for the reply. The low angle was one of the things I had to do for my teachers so I can't really solve that.

I understand that all too well had a few instructors like that also. I look forward to seeing future work from you. Out of curiosity how long did it take you to complete this if you don't mind me asking.

Nysuatro
04-20-2010, 01:40 PM
Ow thats a hard question. I have a lot of projects so it was really spread out. But to guess, I think around 40 houres. And then I didn't count the houres of taking pictures in Paris :D So yeah, very long :s And its still not finsihed. Thanks for the interest and the kind words.

MissMoneypenny
04-21-2010, 08:04 PM
I like the view from the ground upwards. It gives you a feeling of actually being there. Well done! It is a really beautiful piece of work.

Nysuatro
04-22-2010, 11:51 AM
Thank you very much. I am really glad you like it.

SoloJackets
04-25-2010, 03:26 AM
It's a great angle to impose the grand nature of the setting. Really like how it's coming.

Nysuatro
04-25-2010, 02:22 PM
Thanks SoloJackets
There wel be an update tonight on this mattepaiting. I still have to add somre more steampunk and a 3d part where a message in a bottle arrives.

Nysuatro
05-11-2010, 11:26 AM
Here is an update after my first showtime on school.
Had some comments where I am going to work on.

From this
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv356/Nysuatro/MattepaintingV9.jpg
To this
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv356/Nysuatro/MattepaintingV15.png

The goal is to make the ceiling longer so there will be a shot from down up. In the area of the ceeling will be smoke/clouds where I am going to put some angels shaped clouds in it.
I really don't have a clue how I am going to make the ceiling longer. Will be a lot of trail and error I guess.

I have modelled some mechanic prop that will be used to receive a metal bottle with a message in. The problem I am having and the reasopn why it is not in this wip of the mattepainting is that I can't align it right with the perspective of my mattepainting. I am traying to set it up in max, but I am nog getting good results. Maybe somebody has a good technique for it?

I have lowered the saturation of the green. Many people didnt liked it so high. You think its better?

My deadline for this mattepainting is this monday. So I hope I can work on all the feedback I can get here.

Already thanks for the responses

Greetings

Nysuatro

RiseAndShine
05-11-2010, 03:49 PM
Can't you tilt the camera a bit more up? I know the teacher wants you to have it low ground. But showing just a little bit more of the ceiling and a little bit less of the floor would look nicer I think. I think your last floor looks better allready in a sense that it draws less attention to the floor.

But then again, I'm not sure what the metal looking floor plates are. Look like sewers to me.

For the rest. Very good looking image. Keep it up!

Nysuatro
05-11-2010, 04:05 PM
Well the scene is a women that walks from the gate tot the front where the 3dobject will be were she can take the messagebottle. So first zoom in and then zoom uit on the whole mattepatining. So when it is zoomed out, then I want to tilt the camera a bit higher.

Shenan
05-11-2010, 04:34 PM
Hi Robbert (or Nysuatro),

The image does look nice, but I wanted to add some constructive criticism for you since this is the focused critiques forum and not the praise forum.

I think that if the intention of this image is to serve as a matte painting for a live action movie, that it is looking a little bit too artificial to appear like a real place. The saturation of the colors seems too high - mainly the green banners (they would seem almost fluorescent in real life), but also the walls a little bit. Also the floor seems way too shiny and reflective - in fact, most of the elements look too new and sparkly for an old cathedral, but maybe you're going for this on purpose because of the specific objectives of the assignment.

I just feel that the whole image should be a little more dull (not as in boring but as in less shiny) and toned down. I'm just saying this off the top of my head, so look at reference images of the actual place to get a more definitive idea, and of course reconcile that with the goals of the assignment.

Good luck!

kag122
05-11-2010, 04:34 PM
Are those drains in the middle? If so, why have two drains running down the middle?

Nysuatro
05-11-2010, 05:35 PM
Hi Robbert (or Nysuatro),

The image does look nice, but I wanted to add some constructive criticism for you since this is the focused critiques forum and not the praise forum.

I think that if the intention of this image is to serve as a matte painting for a live action movie, that it is looking a little bit too artificial to appear like a real place. The saturation of the colors seems too high - mainly the green banners (they would seem almost fluorescent in real life), but also the walls a little bit. Also the floor seems way too shiny and reflective - in fact, most of the elements look too new and sparkly for an old cathedral, but maybe you're going for this on purpose because of the specific objectives of the assignment.

I just feel that the whole image should be a little more dull (not as in boring but as in less shiny) and toned down. I'm just saying this off the top of my head, so look at reference images of the actual place to get a more definitive idea, and of course reconcile that with the goals of the assignment.

Good luck!

You got a point there. I will try something out. The flashy colors of the flags are because of the 'fashion" factor of the assignment. One of the influences of the world is the fashion of Galliano. He is a crazy french designer. But because a church is a peacefull place, I wanted to be subtle with flashy colors. So I kept it with the green. This is the charackter that will be walking in the church.

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv356/Nysuatro/2DAE3D2_BremsR_ModelsheetBody.jpg

Are those drains in the middle? If so, why have two drains running down the middle?

It was only a matter of placement. When I did only one, it didnt looked so great.
When I am able to put the 3dmodel of the messagebotthereceiver I hope those 2 drains will not stick out to much.

EDIT: Those drains are there for a bit of a steampunk feeling.

Thanks for the responses everybody

KMcNamara
05-12-2010, 12:48 AM
Definitely a sign that you're doing great work when most of the comments in the "hardcore critique" section say "nice!"

I really like the piece. I agree with the crit about maybe tilting the camera up. My own crit is that the reflection of the door in the floor is quite bright, where is that light coming from? The door is dark green but just below the door there is a bright white reflection.

Kev3D
05-12-2010, 04:24 AM
It's looking great so far.

The drains don't feel steampunk to me, they just feel out of place. Steampunk is more copper, pipes, valves, vents, cogs. I think you would have more success incorporating them into the organ at the back. The speakers are good, they feel kinda steampunky.

The green banners are looking better with less saturation. I think some of them, like the ones nearest camera could be pulled back even further. While I appreciate that they are supposed to be bright pieces of cloth, they still appear too bright compared to their surroundings. If you've seen this optical illusion (http://www.alternativerecursion.info/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/lottocube.jpg) then you'll see why (the orange squares are the same colour).

Nysuatro
05-12-2010, 08:02 AM
Alright, I have noted all your comments and I will work on them.
Friday I will post the new version.

Thanks for the feedback. It's great you are helping me.

Shenan
05-12-2010, 06:45 PM
Ah, ok, so it's not a matte painting for a live action film background. I think it looks good as is for the character that is going to be walking through.

I do feel the drains are out of place too though. I think that steampunk would be more retro technical gadgets around the cathedral, perhaps seemingly unnecessary gadgets. Maybe steampunk-looking automated systems to open the windows, move/flip the benches, lower/light the candelabras, etc. Or something more over the top like some sci-fi looking pedestal at the center.

Good luck!

Delude
05-12-2010, 08:44 PM
hi

you've mentioned steampunk twice, and the only thing going towards that right now its the victorian look and the color scheme, i love the bright greens contrasting with those shades of yellows and brown that are really nicely complimented by the blue of the marble...( it still loks victorian and but adds some laboratory feel to it like some kind of strange experiment is going on, almost sci-fi-ish which is probably help incorporate the character into the whole thing)

but

in my idea of steampunk as far as your matte goes it lacks metal, tones of it, and not a bit here and there but in the church's structure itself, primarily in the arches

make it old but maybe not too rusty (so you wont be forced to introduce much red\orange, otherwise that will possibly result in too much going on at the same time)

maybe dark green or grey so you get some nice contrasts out of it
i think it could really add some more detail to it and a lot more strength to the whole picture instead of being all mainly made of stone

dont know if you're familiar with it but here you got some good references in this french comic book series "Le Régulateur" by corberyan & moreno

http://www.bdgest.com/critiques/images/planches/RegulateurLe2.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
05-12-2010, 08:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.