PDA

View Full Version : Portrait - Nature girl

Kinten
09-10-2003, 01:51 PM
I posted this image as finished work at both sijun and here at cg talk and I didn't get any response (accept for one post about the hair), so I decided I work on it more and maybe make it more interesting. Therefor, I'm posting it here for constructive crits and for ideas as to where to go from here. What would you do to make it more interesting as a portrait?

Cya!
http://w1.896.telia.com/~u89605820/eve2.jpg

cybernaut
09-10-2003, 03:57 PM
Very nice illustration!

C&C - One thing that first grabbed my attention was the lack of a main light source. Granted, I imagine that your going for somewhat of an overcast feeling, but even the shadows that are there don't have a definite source, this results in a muddy? appearance. From the hair and face it appears that there may be a light source off to the right of her but it's not that clear. Successfully making an accurate overcast image is very difficult to do properly and takes a masterful understanding of light and shadow, I still can't do it :). I guess what I'm saying is work on getting the shadows to look more natural by having a more obviously dominant light source, possibly a blue light. This is just an opinion keep in mind.

Cheers:)

hobbit72
09-11-2003, 03:14 PM
Very nice.

One thing I would do is get rid of the tear. Its almost seems like it was added as an afterthought and seems distracting and out of place. I dont think the picture needs it. If you really want the tear, make it more substantial and have it follow the line of the face.

Joebount
09-13-2003, 07:01 PM
neck way too long, mouth way too low. Sorry, I don't have time to see other things. I hope it will help you

hobbit72
09-14-2003, 11:12 AM
I think the proportions are fine.

just one other observation. The lines above her eyes are too pronounced, making it look like she has a double set of eyebrowes. The "bags" under her eyes are too dark, they make the eyes look sunken

Kinten
09-14-2003, 11:47 PM
Thanks guys,
about the proportions, I kinda like it be as it is, it gives the portrait a sort of middle age feel. Imo.

Anyways, ive done some small changes to her eyes (thanks hobbit) as you can see. Nothing much but im just showing that im still alive and still working on this piece (been away for the weekend)! :) Im trying to define the light sorce a little better, but its really a lot harder than i had expected! Im also trying to add a new light source, to give it that extra dimension, but that might also mean i would have to change the background. We'll see.

http://w1.896.telia.com/~u89605820/girl4.jpg

In another thread someone told me it looked as though the background bent arround the girl in the center, and it sure does when i came to think about it. But should i leave it that way? I kinda like it.

hobbit72
09-15-2003, 11:35 AM
Eyes look much better!
Some final thoughts. The perspective on the lips is wrong - more of the far side of the lips would be visible from this angle. The nose shadow seems too harsh. The far nostril is a bit high. I have photoshopped your scan to give you a better idea of what I mean, I hope you dont mind.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.