PDA

View Full Version : IK handle slightly off?

xat
04-18-2010, 05:26 PM
I was working on an IK/FK switch for my character's arm and noticed a slight twitch switching between the two. I ended up pinpointing the source to the IK handle creation. It seems like when the IK handle is created, my joints get some very slight additional rotation. Is this normal? It's a bit disconcerting to see when switching between IK/FK.

blackseraphim
04-19-2010, 07:15 AM
it is important that there is no rotation value for your shoulder joint when applying IK RP (a precision of 5 decimal place would be fine). And also check the orientatiion of your joints. There will be deviations with regarding to your IK FK switching. Check on Sean Nolan's site. he discussed the proper layout of joints.

xat
04-29-2010, 06:14 PM
Alright; this is seriously bugging me. My arm joint chain has no rotation values, but when I create the IK handle, rotation is introduced. However if I create my joint chain in a new file, with the same translations, and then create an IK handle on that chain, no rotation is introduced. What is going on?

edit: figured it out. Apparently the IK handle is influenced by the preferred angle, and I had some odd values in some of the joints, causing the chain to get screwed up when the IK handle is created. Note to self: check preferred angle attributes in the attribute editor if something is wrong with IK handle!

CGTalk Moderation
04-29-2010, 06:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.