PDA

View Full Version : im new to this....

Debneyink
04-16-2010, 08:58 AM
ok im new to this!....

bascially i need an idiots guide:

im making a mountian range canyon type thing so:

i bring in my basic poly mesh that i did in max. subdivide to 1, then on another level subdivided to 6 sculpting away, happy days! getting a high poly result that i like.
so now my mesh is 3million or so polys obviosuly to high and impractical to bring in to max and render etc
i export my mesh at subdivde of 1 which is rough looking
and also export my mesh at subdiv 6 which is great but big.

so am I supposed to then project the details from the high mesh onto my low mesh?

if so how, what are the steps to do this?

i have most detail on another level can i turn that level into a displacement map?
if so how what are the steps to do this?

what would YOU do?
I have delved into alot of the workings of zbrush and the vids on the site etc. is there one that im missing that would clearly explain the process of getting my highly detailed mountain mesh into max .

Help and clear advice would be greatily appreciated as im really liking this app over mudbox but just need a bit of clarity...

cheers

ezekiel66
04-16-2010, 11:40 AM
You can export a displacement map from zbrush and apply that to your lowres mesh in Max. To do this, switch to the lowest subdivision level of your object, go to the displacement map options (in the Tool menu), activate the "adaptive" button and then click "Create Dispmap".

Of course, this will only work if the object has UVs. If your mountain object does not have UVs you can create them in zbrush, you should do it using the UV Master plugin. If you havent installed it yet you can get it for free from the pixologic website.

After you have created the displacement map click the "clone disp" button which will transfer the map over to the alphas menu. Open the alphas menu and click the "Export" button at the bottom. Save the map somewhere, and assign it to your lowres model in Max.

Obviously, the lowres mesh that you assign the displacement map to in Max has to have the same UV layout as the one in zbrush. You have to export the lowres version of your mountain object as an obj after you have created the UVs for it and import that into Max.
To project details from your highres mesh to a lowres mesh only makes sense if you e.g. have created a retopology mesh in another program and need to transfer the details to it. It does not make sense in your case.

Debneyink
04-16-2010, 01:04 PM
thats a great starting point thanks. running some tests now...

thanks

CGTalk Moderation
04-16-2010, 01:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.