PDA

View Full Version : copy setup to another character

kiryha
04-16-2010, 08:39 AM
I have two(or much more) different looking characters(different height, extrimity length, head size etc) but with absolutley identical topology and UVs.
Is it posible to meke finished rig for one character and then transfer this rig to all another characters?

Darksuit
04-16-2010, 08:43 PM
planing is really the key here.

If I knew that I was going to be using the same rig for multi characters, with the only difference is the scale.

I would make all the character exactly the same height.
Make one set of bones to ensure that all characters were using the same bone rotations.
Skin all the characters to the same set of bones. If the demisions of the characters allow for it.
Reference the skinned character into a new clean scene and add all of your IK and constraints and controls there.

Save out files for each one of the characters use a scale controller to scale particular characters to specific heights.

This process would allow you to make adjustments and add new characters into the same rig. It would also allow you to tweak the rig once and just resave the new files, instead of having to go through all the files one by one and make the same change who knows how many times.

kiryha
04-19-2010, 07:40 AM
Darksuit, thanks for you time.
As i understand, there is no magic buttons for my task:) If the point was only about general scale- its not a problem. But i talk about totaly different charactes, wich have different joint position.

CGTalk Moderation
04-19-2010, 07:40 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.