PDA

View Full Version : Another Conceptual Oil Painting..some Photoshop too

Philipstraub
09-10-2003, 03:12 AM
http://www.philipstraub.com/assets/illustrations/arm_plug.jpg

Stop watching that TV! Put down that playstation and go outside!
A little illustration about our addiction to electricity..more...more!!

I admit...it is a bit cheesy...but painting blood is fun and I had a whole lot of that painting this.

Enjoy:p

DEVARSHY
09-10-2003, 03:32 AM
another Brilliant concept!
Worthy of getting "Plugged"....Literally!:thumbsup:

Philipstraub
09-10-2003, 03:34 AM
Devarshy:...you're all over the place.

Thanks for the comments! Plug away

ducasse
09-10-2003, 03:35 AM
and the computer too :p

Philipstraub
09-10-2003, 03:38 AM
exactly...I'm nothing without mine

keight
09-10-2003, 04:05 AM
Reminds me of a Ray Bradbury story. I like the painting alot, hmmm, a grounded outlet with a two prong plug... hmmm.....

Philipstraub
09-10-2003, 05:42 AM
thanks keight

gmask
09-10-2003, 05:45 AM
>>I admit...it is a bit cheesy...but painting blood is fun and I had a whole lot of that painting this.

Weird I swear I just saw the same concept somewhere else although I think it was graphical ..weird..zeitgeist

Philipstraub
09-10-2003, 05:53 AM
Gmask: not sure what to make of your comment.

gmask
09-10-2003, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by Philipstraub
Gmask: not sure what to make of your comment.

I'm saying that I literally say this exact concept of a wall socket in a guys arm..like shooting up with electricity in the last day or so. I'm trying to remember where I saw it..

A Zeigeist is like something is in vogue.. a common concept that many people explore at the same time

keight
09-10-2003, 06:00 AM
gmask

I think I know the one you're talking about... but I thought I saw it on Phil's site.

I was right, it is in his "Illustrations" section. I saw it weeks ago. The thumbnail is right next to that marvelous head.

gmask
09-10-2003, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by keight
gmask

I think I know the one you're talking about... but I thought I saw it on Phil's site.

Yeah maybe.. since the icon there doesn't have the blood

Philipstraub
09-10-2003, 06:05 AM
yeh...you guys are right...the old version of the image was the oil painting..but I had some fun with it today adding the blood and other stuff. I haven't updated the icon yet. You guys are on top of my sh-t.

gmask
09-10-2003, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by Philipstraub
yeh...you guys are right...the old version of the image was the oil painting..but I had some fun with it today adding the blood and other stuff. I haven't updated the icon yet. You guys are on top of my sh-t.

it's cause I looking at another image you posted recently and i was browsing your website.. I till tink I have seen this concept before but it must have been awhile ago.. cool anyway :thumbsup:

Philipstraub
09-10-2003, 01:36 PM
gotchya GMask, thanks

I do want to comment on this though...not at you GMask...just more a general statement. Please take no offense.

Also...truth is this painting was done nearly 9 years ago. I did it my senior year in college. So, it is a very old piece. I always wanted to spruce it up, adding a more open wound look to it. I finally had some time to do it...so struggling with another painting I'm working on I decided to have some fun.

As far as the original concept issue: I'll share with you a statement a great instructor of mine told me once. "It would be ridiculous to think that you can create a completely original concept every time you make a painting, if ever. There are so many images created ever day over the course of the history of modern man that it is enivetible that someone will have the same idea as you. "The true originality comes in the execution, putting what makes you up as a person into the painting. How many paintings of a woman standing on a cliff with her hair blowing in the wind have been done....hundreds, maybe thousands. But, I still want to do one...why?...because I want to do my version...my girl, my atmosphere, my hair. I know that this image, being very conceptual, sets it more apart more than my comparison, however, the main principle applies though.

...and yes I have seen images like this since I painted it...I probably saw something that influenced me to do it before I started it too. I can't remember, the original was made nine years ago.
I tell my students this: "Try and bring something of yourself to every piece you do. You don't have to reinvent the world to make great art, or even original art. It IS original because YOU created it."
That's not to say I'm advocating blatant plagarism. I've seen questionable things posted on many of the forums I post on. I'm not sure about my stance is on painting over photographs that weren't created by the artist. Ultimately it's the artist's choice to do so and the forums choice to decide if it is valid. I personally like creating everything from scratch, photo reference, life studies, color sketches because I enjoy seeing the image through from start to finish. It is painful sometimes but, I think worth it. The Pain and struggle of the pursuit of the perfect piece is worth it and it's those hard ones that make you great. It is up to the artist to decide how he/she wants to come to the final image though. I respect and cheers them in thier pursuit.

It's early over here is CT so I think I better make some coffee. This debate about the originality of this piece and others on this forum spurred me to write this. Just my humble opinions and experiences...please no-one take offense

CHEERS

Phil

ElKrullo
09-10-2003, 04:02 PM
Very nice picture! I saw the old version on your website a while ago, but I think I like this one better.

I also like your ideas about originality. Very inspireing. I'll try not to give up the next time I go through that pain and struggeling phase! :)

Wonderer
09-10-2003, 04:19 PM
I liked your picture. The concepts I believe, can simply live again in the hands of another artist, rather than be forgoten in some dusty museum.:thumbsup:

Philipstraub
09-10-2003, 04:28 PM
awesome guys...glad you like the piece and my little editorial:beer:

phoenix
09-10-2003, 08:22 PM
fine work man.......keep it up

Philipstraub
09-10-2003, 08:33 PM
thanks phoenix

Draco-84
09-10-2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by DEVARSHY
another Brilliant concept!
Worthy of getting "Plugged"....Literally!:thumbsup:
....AWWW!...
That was bad...but true.
Nice image!
Although I must say a couple of comments...
One: The blood on his shirt should be thicker because of the thick stream on his arm.
Two: Since there is blood on the end of the plug I would sugguest putting some blood on the actual plug hole as well.
That's it I guess.

Great job!!!
Very original! :thumbsup:

Philipstraub
09-10-2003, 10:04 PM
awesome crits Draco..thanks

olijosman
09-10-2003, 10:13 PM
it is not a concept, is a great illustration!!:buttrock:
fantastic color use and great drawing dominion !!

:applause:

Philipstraub
09-10-2003, 10:51 PM
thanks much olijosman

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.