PDA

View Full Version : Vue 8.4

jaygarrison3d
04-15-2010, 11:41 AM
Well it looks like it's out of beta. Vue asks me if I want to upgrade when I launch.

Anybody using it yet? I'm mid production, but not at a point where i'm locked in too badly if there are a lot of changes.

AFalk
04-15-2010, 06:29 PM
I've been using 8.4 64 bit consistently, and as of 1 month ago started & continue to use the latest BETA release as well <<--- It has really been that SOLID.

My main workstation is an AMD quad w/7GB Ram, running Vista prem pro x64. If it helps, my studio also runs Lightwave 9.6, DFX, Adobe Master Suite CS-IV through this main machine and w/Vue 8.4 eveything has played nice.

Give it a whirl, at the least pull down the latest PLE (I believe they can be patched) & see what you think.

DuttyFoot
04-16-2010, 01:34 AM
8.5 is coming out soon

http://features.cgsociety.org/story.php?story_id=5616&referer=cgnews

dvfx
04-16-2010, 02:49 AM
Well it looks like it's out of beta. Vue asks me if I want to upgrade when I launch.

Anybody using it yet? I'm mid production, but not at a point where i'm locked in too badly if there are a lot of changes.

I would be VERY careful about upgrading to any version of Vue. Vue is very good at producing STILLS and not what I would rely on for any kind of 3d production of terrains and plants for multiple frame animation for cinematics or films. I suspect it is used mostly by hobbiests (meaning no disrespect, because some of their work is beautiful)and content creators (i.e. tutorial writers, etc.).
Also If you read their own literature, notice that all of the professionals that claim to love it are MATTE PAINTERS which are masters at taking stills and painting around them to simulate full environments.
My experience with E-On software and Vue was not a good one, and was a huge waste of time (and money). I ended up paying for an EXTREMELY buggy version of vue (7.5) and basically beta testing it. The bugs were so severe there was NO work around and I had to use other solutions for environments.
Their tech support was also a waste of time...2 months worth of slow email responses (over a week) and no phone support unless you pay for it. Also after 2 months all I got was an apology and that they would forward the bugs I discovered to the developers. No solution at all...just a promise of a new version down the road and hopefully the bugs would be fixed then.

My hope is to inform those considering the purchase and share my opinions and experiences with Vue. Also, I am a professional with over 15 years in the film industry just for credibility sake.

Another thing to think about...as far as I know...I don't think Weta used Vue on AVATAR and that was some of the best plant work done to date. So really if you're in production you may consider Maya or another more traditional solution rather than Vue.
regards,

D

dburdick
04-16-2010, 08:19 PM
I would be VERY careful about upgrading to any version of Vue. Vue is very good at producing STILLS and not what I would rely on for any kind of 3d production of terrains and plants for multiple frame animation for cinematics or films. I suspect it is used mostly by hobbiests (meaning no disrespect, because some of their work is beautiful)and content creators (i.e. tutorial writers, etc.).
Also If you read their own literature, notice that all of the professionals that claim to love it are MATTE PAINTERS which are masters at taking stills and painting around them to simulate full environments.
My experience with E-On software and Vue was not a good one, and was a huge waste of time (and money). I ended up paying for an EXTREMELY buggy version of vue (7.5) and basically beta testing it. The bugs were so severe there was NO work around and I had to use other solutions for environments.
Their tech support was also a waste of time...2 months worth of slow email responses (over a week) and no phone support unless you pay for it. Also after 2 months all I got was an apology and that they would forward the bugs I discovered to the developers. No solution at all...just a promise of a new version down the road and hopefully the bugs would be fixed then.

My hope is to inform those considering the purchase and share my opinions and experiences with Vue. Also, I am a professional with over 15 years in the film industry just for credibility sake.

Another thing to think about...as far as I know...I don't think Weta used Vue on AVATAR and that was some of the best plant work done to date. So really if you're in production you may consider Maya or another more traditional solution rather than Vue.
regards,

D

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with Vue. I would like to correct you however on a couple of ponits:

1. Vue was used in Avatar
2. It was also used in production on many major films - most recently in Clash of the Titans (http://www.3dworldmag.com/page/3dworld?entry=vfx_focus_clash_of_the)
3. It is used for much more than matte painting - (see this recent video - http://vimeo.com/9388912) - although matte painting is often the medium of choice for production backgrounds.

You might want to try the Vue PLE edition which is a free demo version to see if the stability issues have subsided with your setup.

dvfx
04-17-2010, 12:38 AM
Hi David,

1. Vue was used in Avatar
Was it? I would like to see an article about that or hear from some Weta artists and their experiences with it on the show. (Tried looking on e-ons website but if you follow the banner link on it leads to an article about it that about Rob Powers and Lightwave 3D mostly.) I haven't had a chance to read the Avatar Cinefex yet.

2. It was also used in production on many major films.... I know it has been used, (to what extent is hard to say) but I feel it's use is mostly limited to matte painters and producing specific elements (like plants) to be incorporated into a larger matte painting. Even that link is written by a matte painter and his article seems to highlight Maya more than anything and Vue as having "potential" and "successful in what we used it for". Which seems complimentary but with qualifications. My point is I don't feel it is the best tool (by a long shot) and most major vfx studios would never put up with it's inconsistency and it could end up severely and adversely effecting the budgets of vfx production.

3. It is used for much more than matte painting - (see this recent video - http://vimeo.com/9388912 (http://vimeo.com/9388912)). My point is it's use is limited in vfx studios, and mostly used in matte painting. This link being an architectural rendering is not really what I was referring to. It's not same quality that is required for a Hollywood production. Which is what I was seeking to convey.
You might want to try the Vue PLE edition....

I did this before I purchased Vue 7.5 and I noticed a huge difference between the PLE and the purchased version(negative). Also during production on an actual film/commercial certain rigid project restrictions (ie camera position, timing, lighting, & render times) are inflexible and Vue would not allow for exacting specifications and trying to work around the existing bugs.

I realize there is a large fan base for the program and I wish I could use it as it was designed, but I feel the program just doesn't perform as advertised.

I especially wouldn't want to start using it "mid production" as my environment solution.

Best Regards, and best of luck!

D

...time for me to get some work done :)

CGTalk Moderation
04-17-2010, 12:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.