PDA

View Full Version : more wake rippels

=LuxX=
04-15-2010, 08:07 AM
Hi all,

After a lot of testing and playing around with Maya's ocean and wake i established a almost good looking pic. but as you can see there is something wrong because i only have 1 big rippel
Duncan helpt me out with a lot of awnsers on different topics like the simulation rate scale and such. But i cant find any awnser about the rippels to be more frequent.

Wich setting i have to play with to get more rippels to the side of my ship?
I hope some one can give me some hints and tips about this.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2w23pc9.jpg

Kabab
04-15-2010, 10:32 AM
Firstly I strongly suggest you use this

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=86&t=859559&highlight=houdini

Instead of Maya ocean it looks so much better renders really fast!

For the wake what I would do is use a 2D fluid container to create a black and white wake fluid texture and then pump that into the displacement node of the shader I linked above...

This will calculate really fast and since its 2D you can have a high resolution and get lots of fine detail in your wake...

If you search the various fluids wake thread's here I think there is one with Duncan explaining how to achieve a nice 2D fluid wake texture...

=LuxX=
04-15-2010, 10:45 AM
Hi thnx for the responce.

Well i downloaded that program you linked. But i dont know how to install or use. ( there is no install help in the .rar file) and the ones i found on the internet i dont understand.

Hmmm.. well lets give it a try with 2D textures.

Kabab
04-15-2010, 02:06 PM
Hi thnx for the responce.

Well i downloaded that program you linked. But i dont know how to install or use. ( there is no install help in the .rar file) and the ones i found on the internet i dont understand.

Hmmm.. well lets give it a try with 2D textures.
There are some help files...

They explain it as well as I could it's definitely worth the effort to get these shaders going! don't give up!

=LuxX=
04-15-2010, 02:51 PM
yes srry i found the help files they are in the maps.

But still dont get it to work.

I got it so far that i can make a plane and do: deformer -type hotOceanDeformer; on it then it gets the waves and such.
Then i go to my hypergraph. i drag the hotocean material on my plane .. it gets red.. en then :)?
to be honest i never worked with MR shaders like this..

when i render its black ...

Kabab
04-15-2010, 03:40 PM
Have a look at the example Maya files and work back from their..

=LuxX=
04-16-2010, 08:15 AM
hmmm well i had a look at the file...
but now im totaly cleuless.

a few things bother me about this plugin.

at first when you put wind Speed on 0 maya crashes.

second.. i see a lot of repeating in my ocean.

third i think this is way more work when you have to animate a lot on water? ( i mean with wakes and such )

i will play some more with the example file and think i will use that or something because i have no clue how to do that all bij mij self :)

can you give me any hints or something how this works .. or is there a manual ?

Kabab
04-16-2010, 10:22 AM
If you inncrease the ocean scale or size it will get rid of the repeating pattern check the thread I posted I asked the same question and get a detailed answer.

Just check out the shader network in the hypershade it's fairly straight forward.

If found it far easier then the Maya ocean as there heaps less options.

=LuxX=
04-19-2010, 11:45 AM
hi again ...well im still playing with it. the increase helped indeed but there are 2 other thingys..
it's about the horizon.
Damn thats ugly.. :) why does my horizon show still high waves? do i Have to increase the plane sicze aswel for that?
And an other thing about the horizon, why do I see that transparent layer sticking out every time?

I still have to find out how to make all these connections between the nodes and such.
because thats 1 big black hole for me :)

Kabab
04-19-2010, 01:07 PM
Are you changing the size in the shader or are you scaling the geometry?

Make sure you increase the ocean size setting in the shader it will make large oceans look great :)

Another thing to note with this shader is that you need another piece of geometry under it like a sea bed as the colour of the ocean to some degree is controlled by the refraction depth in the material..

I think your getting that transparent thing because the plane that is under the ocean surface is to small... You need to make sure the plane under the ocean is big enough so that regardless of what angle you look at your ocean the plane underneath is full covers it.

A screen shot would help :D

=LuxX=
04-19-2010, 03:05 PM
hi thanks.

i indeed scaled up the ocean plane it self, and i didnt increase the size of the seabed.
I will try that tomorrow and then ill post a screen shot ( if i still have that problem )
For now... off to home :)

=LuxX=
04-20-2010, 10:03 AM
what you said helpt me out. i dont have that wierd looking transparant layer. and also mij horizon now looks better..

but im still nog convinced to use this plug in.
just a simpel test render with the example and then a simple ocean render ( with same render settings and light ) makes a big difference.
the example file took 50 sec to render and the Ocean fluid only took 32.
and they almost looked the same.

the Ocean fluid:

http://i39.tinypic.com/jkh7jl.jpg

The plugin ocean:

http://i40.tinypic.com/2jb8ksl.jpg

hmm i think i just keep it with the ocean, its easyer to work with the wakes then make lose displacement maps for me.

but then i still want to know how to get more ripples :)

CGTalk Moderation
04-20-2010, 10:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.