PDA

View Full Version : Portfolio - Environment/Prop Artist

kdm3d
04-14-2010, 09:31 PM
Hey guys. I've tried posting in other forums, but it seems like it pulling teeth to get any crits. SO I thought I'd try to get some feedback here.

I'm currently in the job hunt, (contract at Bungie is about to end) and want to make sure my site really sings. I'd love crits on both content and site, it would be good to have more eyes on this than just mine...

Appreciate the comments!

www.kdm3d.com (http://www.kdm3d.com)

(I know it suck I cant post any of my Reach work yet... Damn NDAs.)

slipmaggot75
04-16-2010, 12:47 AM
I really love your work, especially the forza work. You have very basic and simple geometry and you are able to express the look and feel greatly from the diffuse with out needing a normal map which I appreciate a lot. I work on game are to and while i was breaking into the industry I was surprised that people did not use normal maps on everything. I have actually come up with a very cool technique of creating dummy normal maps in crazy bump and extracted the rgb values and occlusion maps to have it so that you get the same exact depth from the normal map with out one. haha anyways I am ranting now, but your work is very impressive. My one concern would be that You have maybe to many props and not enough in game full environments. I think it would be very interesting to see what your indoor home environment would look like possibly within unreal, torque, or even cry-engine. Take care buddy, and def let me know when you are able to post some of your halo reach work I am a HUGE halo fan, bungie has actually been a dream job for me hopefully when I graduate things can work out :)

kdm3d
04-16-2010, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I'm working on some environemnt stuff, I know that is where its lacking... I have a few more personal assets I want to do, then move on and create some full environments.

I have some current very WIP's over on my devblog: www.lastcallsharks.blogspot.com (http://www.lastcallsharks.blogspot.com)
Other than that though, yeah.

Thanks again, and good luck with school!

Anyone else?

urgaffel
04-16-2010, 06:12 PM
Looks good but I wish I could see larger versions of your pictures. There's also a lot of text on your site, feels a bit busy. Maybe move the text to the side or in the detailed view instead? Take the deadliest catch image, there's 4 logos on it, plus a bunch of text on an image that is already a bit busy due to spray/rain/snow. I have to say though that I'm a fan of minimalistic sites so the less the better imo :) The grid you use as a background on your images adds to the noise btw, why not just a dark, almost desaturated flat colour?

kdm3d
04-16-2010, 06:47 PM
the images I need to redo, youre right. The grid background and logos and such are remnants of my past website, and I just haven't had time to go in and re brand the images. That is a general comment I'm getting, so its definately something to chage. Thanks!

Decency
04-20-2010, 10:59 PM
Overall I found the site navigable and the work top notch. As others have said, it seems a bit busy and you mentioned you will be working on that. I only have one small thing to suggest, and that would be to increase the size of the headers for each section on the homepage. It wasn't immediately apparent for me that I could click the header and go to a sub-section with more examples.

Also, scrolling down the site goes game art, game art, arch vis, game art. Consider changing the order of these, or separating the arch vis into a different area.

Overall excellent work, and best of luck moving forward with your career!

CGTalk Moderation
04-20-2010, 10:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.