PDA

View Full Version : Is there an Alpha Shader?

gtcable
04-14-2010, 08:30 PM
I have a poly automobile composition I'll be handing off to another producer to add video to. The driver side window will roll down and their shot footage of someone in the driver seat will be inside.

My first thought is for them to mask the video to it the car.
But then I thought, what if I drop a shader on the window that creates what I'd call a hole punch in the alpha channel? That way they could just place their video under my animation.

I'm wondering if there is a shader I can place on the window that will create an alpha channel in the render concealing everything behind the window. Kinda hard to find info on this using search engines.

Oh! Yeah…and I'm rendering with Mental Ray.

cgbeige
04-14-2010, 08:36 PM
look for the black hole alpha settings in the object rendering options. I don't have Maya handy at the moment so I can't be more specific.

gtcable
04-14-2010, 08:56 PM
Perfect!
Took me a little bit to find the buggah. Wasn't sure if it was on the shape or the shader. Ended up finding the "Black Hole" option on a Lambert shader under Matte Opacity > Matte Opacity Mode.

Exactly what I was looking for.
Mahalo cgbeige!

CGTalk Moderation
04-14-2010, 08:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.