PDA

View Full Version : My New Character Animation Demoreel

cheng-long
04-13-2010, 08:35 PM
Hello everybody,:cool:

Here you can watch my new character animation demoreel 2010.
it regroup animation from 2007 to 2010, all done by me
during freelance job, spare time , and in to differents Studios.

A breakdown version will follow up soon to go through details of what you saw,
you ll know everything ;)

Vimeo: http://www.vimeo.com/10904027
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIPAdJYO4XE

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/9414/actimel.jpg

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/386/garfieldm.jpg

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/6492/acting00.jpg

Hope you like my animation, i m hunting down freelance character animation job right now.
so i hope this demoreel will help to get some.
and obviously this thread is open to comments and critics so pls everybody be wordy :)

Enjoy

mvshabeer
04-15-2010, 10:05 AM
Good job. Dont think that you are bad because there are no reply from these guys. They only want professional quality works. To my eyes the animation was good. I only feel very minor issues.
BTW I cant comment on the technical side of animation since I am a environment artist.

May Some animators may help U with better feedback.

cheng-long
04-16-2010, 06:47 AM
Thank you for your kind answer.
i know this guys around, only want to watch Animation Mentor reel and demoreel featuring blur studio, and dreamworks animation.. too bad for me i haven't some of this in my reel so far, maybe later... im planing to do animation mentor next year i m saving money for it.

i have ne way some profesional job in it like the bee at the start, the team of super hero running, the garfield animation...

bah i never receive feedback here. i m used to.

again thank you.

xeltestic
04-16-2010, 07:55 AM
hi cheng_long

good work! I like it :) there is a good sense of weight going on in most of them - the bee has some nice secondary animation. I like the timing of the two guys. the 3rd one was funny, it sounded like he was talking japanese in the beginning, but was it french? :D The turkey is hilarious. Santa doesn't really do anything special that would show off your skills. The rest have some nice touches as well. I really like that there is such a big variety of different characters with different kind of personalities and animation for that matter. It shows you are very versatile as an animator. I think there were a couple of weak cuts between the animations and the music got a little annoying in the end but that is purely subjective.

I've noticed as well that the animation forums are too silent here on cgtalk. hopefully it livens up a little. Animation is a wonderful art and thinking about the amount of work hrs that goes into it a little comment here and there would be nice! :)

Anyways! Good luck with future projects!

cheng-long
04-17-2010, 08:17 AM
Thank you for your kind comment Xeltestic
i almost cry hehe

In the third scene they are speaking french yes, i start thinking that maybe i should add some english subtitle to it, maybe it's a good idea.

Abt the music i agree with you, some people will like it some other will be anoyed by it
it's a matter of taste.

Again thank you for you nice comments it mean a lot to me.
i hope to find some good freelance stuff soon :)

cheers

cheng-long
04-29-2010, 07:21 PM
Hi everybody,
as i said on my first post a demoreel breakdown will come soon,
so this is it

i know everybody on this forum is waiting for it... or not
so hit the link bellow ;)

demoreel breakdown :

vimeo : http://www.vimeo.com/11274992

youtube : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5xAG5TTq7w

KoalasInc
04-30-2010, 10:42 PM
Nice works man!

I think that some of the scenes you show, dont add much to the whole of it, and dont show off your skills as it should, so I'd maybe think about erasing some so the reel is more nice y tight, and keeps better the atention of the viewer.

That bee is really cute, and the turkey hilarious :D

In the first dialog, I like the "jack black" character, but the other one (in my humble opinion) over-acts a little bit. His voice doesn't sound so rough to go ponding the table, and then the situation is not to be so so so afraid to be in those last poses.

Just my two cents. Hope it helps :)

Cheers mate

JackEbensteiner
05-01-2010, 05:52 AM
Hey there, I think you have some fun work :) I actually think the bee at the beginning is the most successful thing there. It flows very nicely and has a great sense of timing, it feels just right. A few of the other things could use some tweaks.

Overall I think that you could benefit from keeping your character still occasionally. The blue bear for example did a great job of that. You had a couple moments where he was very still and it was much more impressive than some of the other ones that moved a lot. The Jack Black lipsync for example. I think your poses themselves were pretty good, but they were too big. You typically want to find an accent or two within the dialogue and make THOSE poses hit big and the rest of them should be smaller. If you make every pose big, then none of the poses are big. Another result of having such huge poses for everything is that the timing is thrown off a bit - it all seems fast because the character needs to move such a far distance. Find a pose or two and work within that pose the whole time, that'll benefit you a lot.

I'd probably take out the Santa clip because it doesn't do much to show off what you can do, like Xeltestic said. You really only need a really nicely done lipsync and 1-2 shots showing really good body movement, timing and weight to get work somewhere. So I would try focusing on getting around 3-4 really well done things to put in there rather than putting a bunch of stuff in there. I do think all of the different characters are fun, but you're only as strong as your weakest piece in there so keep that in mind.

Keep it up! Keep on working hard and you'll definitely find some fun work :)

cheng-long
05-02-2010, 08:52 AM
Thank you everyboy for taking your time helping me out and advicing me so much.
i updated my demoreel again... hit the link onn the first message. I take out the santa scene, now my acting scene is the weakest... by time to time nothing will left but my name hehe.

as for the jack black scene yes i agree with you the other guy kind of over act, it was my first attend of doing a complete acting scene the second one is the one in ... french...

i ll start a new one soon with lines form "back from the future"

neway again thank to all of you.

i haven't the best reel on earth and i will probably never have it, i m not the best animator as well i still have so much to learn, i will probably learn animation till my last breath. so i have time :)

Time is Skill

cheers

KoalasInc
05-02-2010, 09:00 PM
Ey, don't be downing yourself around man! You've got nice works there, and your reel will only get better in time.
Animation is one of those jobs/professions that has the beauty that you'll never stop learning. Never. If someone gets to a point that believes that he/she has learned all about it... they are in for a mayor dissapointment.
So think possitive, you, me and everyone here, we are still and will always be in the animation learning process, so its something we all have in common :) but as you said, it takes time to achieve certain goals so keep up that good work man!

Looking forward to see more of your stuff in the future :D

xeltestic
05-07-2010, 01:57 PM
...much better now! :)

CGTalk Moderation
05-07-2010, 01:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.