PDA

View Full Version : Precise terrain sculpting in Vue

Fanko
04-13-2010, 03:33 PM
I am trying to create a landscape establishing shot for a sci-fi movie using Maya and Vue xstream 8

I am a new user of Vue so I still figuring out how to use this program.

At the moment, I am trying out its terrain sculpting feature but the toolset doesn't seem to allow precise sculpting, and since the terrain editing is on its separate window, it is quite difficult to model against reference in the Maya scene to achieve precise placement.

The way I establish the scene is first placing simple geometry (planes and cubes) to figure out a rough formation of the landscape, and I was planning to sculpt the terrain using rough geometry as reference later.

I might be asking a stupid question since, I am a new user, so I might be missing something.

Any information on this will be great :)

virtuALER
04-13-2010, 10:08 PM
Not sure it it's the right solution, but can you try one:
using bitmaps (not sure if 'heightmaps' are the same meaning for this?).
Well, simply put:
Paint B/W image (in Photoshop, for example) save as 16-bit TIF,
then import into terrain editor (with highest resolution you can afford there).
Sometimes these techniques can do the job quite fast and easy...

Fanko
04-14-2010, 09:59 AM
i think i have to resort to this.

xstream seems to be extremely buggy with maya as well, it crashes almost everytime I try to do a render. How are can a software at its third iteration that unstable.

AFalk
04-15-2010, 06:42 PM
Or you could watch this sculpting tutorial - it might prove of use, or at least a bit of inspiration -- its from the ridculously talented folks over at GeekatPlay.com

http://www.geekatplay.com/flvplayer/player.php?pathinfo=terrains/12_infinityadvanced

Also -- if you haven't already done so -- GET up to Vue 8.4+ (fixed a LOT of instability issues I had before this)

cturner3d
04-15-2010, 09:50 PM
This would be my suggestion as one of the must have tutorials on the subject.

http://www.asilefx.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=130

Fanko
04-17-2010, 02:45 PM
thanks guys! they look very helpful :)

Mike.H
04-18-2010, 09:53 PM
as suggested in 8.4/8.5 you can sculpt the vue terrain around the objects in the scene, sure itīs still in the TE window, but you can now see the objects inside the TE, which will help out alot in your case.

8.4/8.5 also improves te performance alot compared to previous versions, so zoom away and happy tablet painting :)

Fanko
04-19-2010, 09:02 AM
exciting! when is it out?

Mike.H
04-19-2010, 07:48 PM
8.4 is out right now, was released not to long ago and 8.5 is out for users like me (maintenance), not sure when it will release publicly, but itīs not to far away.

You can read about some of the improvements at this link, e.on software - vue 8.5 (http://www.e-onsoftware.com/about/newsletter/)

CGTalk Moderation
04-19-2010, 07:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.