PDA

View Full Version : Maya 2010 Translucency

Aekon
04-13-2010, 02:21 PM
hey all. so my 1st post here, weee!

im new to maya and was throw into the fire, right into a production schedule as my company switched from LW to maya. not the best way to be introduced to software. so far iv been making due. we are working on a 6 part tv series. we are close to finishing show 1, but the next show will require some good transluceny to make squid and jelly fish. here is an example image...

http://arnica.csustan.edu/photos/animals/Jelly_Fish1.jpg

so, i have 0 idea of where to start building a shader like this. im assuming one of the fast simple nodes? i poked around in all of them but saw no options for transparency of tranlucency, so im kinda at a dead end here. google searches didnt yeild any results either. i did some good skin for show 1 with the fast simple skin, but im not sure if that will cut it here is at is not actualy transparent, so you can see through it.

so any help at all would be greatly appreciated. maybe some screen shots of shading networks, or links to some tranlucency shaders (i found something called pixho, but i think its very old?).

looking forward to some good wisdom. thanks guys!

Aekon
04-14-2010, 02:05 PM
surely someone must know. 20 views and no one can tell me how to do translucency? or even say its not possible?... or something?

azazel
04-14-2010, 03:38 PM
I worked on a similar shot - jellyfish - and used glossy refractions to achieve this effect. Just that, but modulated by some textures to get variation. Worked in max, using mental ray Arch&Design shader. On the downside, it took forever to render (there were hundreds of them ;) ), and glossy interpolation (which would speed things up considerably) looked very crappy.

There is a mental shader for doing glossy environment map reflections, which is supposedly very fast. Maybe there is something like that for refractions too?

As for squid, IMO fast sss shader is enough, no need for refractions there.

Aekon
04-14-2010, 04:12 PM
no, im not lookin for refrac. as long as i can get it transparent with thickness id be ok. i will look for the shaders your talkin about and see if they do what i need. but when i was pokin around before all i saw were basicaly different version of the fast skin shader... none of them did transparency or translucency.

azazel
04-14-2010, 06:24 PM
It'll be hard to get transparency in fast sss - you could try blending the sss with transparent shader, but that breaks the sss effect.
But do try with refractions, you may be positively surprised :), and unless you have lots of jellies to do, it may even render acceptably long.

kanooshka
04-14-2010, 06:25 PM
no, im not lookin for refrac. as long as i can get it transparent with thickness id be ok. i will look for the shaders your talkin about and see if they do what i need. but when i was pokin around before all i saw were basicaly different version of the fast skin shader... none of them did transparency or translucency.

Translucency is simplified SSS. For this situation I'd recommend doing a render pass with a shader that uses transparency/diffuse/reflections and then do another pass with an SSS shader. Then in Post processing you should be able to just add the SSS on top of the diffuse/transparent/reflection render pass.

Aekon
04-15-2010, 01:58 PM
kan, ya that would probably work.... the problem is i dont know how to get just the translucent/transparent look. im comfortable using the sss shaders, so thats fine, but i have no idea what shaders/nodes/etc id use to get that clear yet cloudy look.

i played around with the dgs material yesterday breifly, and while it was kinda the right idea, its way to noisey to be useful in production. render times would skyrocket just to smooth out all the grain.

coming from a LW background, how i would do it in LW would be to use a gradient input set to sufrace density and run that into the transparency input of another shader. im sure it would be a little more involved, but thats basicaly how it would work i think. problem is i have no idea how to do that in maya, and if lightmaps would be required to trace deep into the surface so it didnt look like the transparency was simply mapped to a shell, but rather an object that was solid... know what i mean?

Aekon
04-16-2010, 03:53 PM
while im asking questions, can someone tell me how to activate verbose rendering output in mental ray (maya 2010). i know it exists, but cant find the option anywhere.

CGTalk Moderation
04-16-2010, 03:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.