PDA

View Full Version : dusttrail

longrayjohnson
04-13-2010, 09:55 AM
hi,

how can i make a dusttrail behind a car, that looks realistic with fluids ?

Wick3dParticle
04-14-2010, 02:14 AM
Hey Ray,

You would probably want to start with attaching an emitter to the moving car. If possible do this in the latest version of Maya due to the re-sizable fluid container option built in. If you dont have access to Maya 2011, look in to Cosku's plugin. The reason you want to have a re-sizable container is so that you can have a fairly higher resolution while the object is traveling. Otherwise it will be more difficult for your computer to sim at a decent resolution in a large container.

Next you want to sim a volumetric element that dissipates.
Add some swirl to it.
Maybe add some turbulence.
Tweak the shading and lighting, add some self shadow maybe.

That should point you in the right direction.

Good luck!

~Ilan

hto
04-14-2010, 07:37 AM
hello Wick3dParticle,

do you need a field like Volumen Axis Field, to move the fluid to one direction?. what do you mean with this "Next you want to sim a volumetric element that dissipates."..

Thank you for you response..

hto

longrayjohnson
04-14-2010, 09:51 AM
hello Wick3dParticle,

what sort of resolution would i need to get decent looking results. could you probably provide a simple testscene ? just the basic setup, of course !

Wick3dParticle
04-14-2010, 09:50 PM
hto - you could use fields to push the fluid, but if the emitter is moving then the dust will be trailing. I would start with swirl and turb, if I see that I need to continue and manipulate its movement then I would consider fields at that point.

ray - it depends on the size of your container, distance from camera, computing power. I would experiment with it.

~Ilan

hto
04-14-2010, 11:05 PM
I see, thanks for your answer.

CGTalk Moderation
04-14-2010, 11:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.