PDA

View Full Version : particles visibility w/ nearest point on surface

nelsig
04-12-2010, 10:12 PM
Hello,

is there a way to make particles instance appear or disappear depending on the distance of an object with nearest point on surface ? and pick the color of this point to apply it to the color of the instance ?
would be great :)
thank you for your help
Nicolas

ctp
04-12-2010, 10:38 PM
As to the color question, you could do something like this, using a closestPointOnSurface node. If it is in fact a nurbs surface, and not a polygon mesh?

vector $pos = particleShape1.position;

setAttr closestPointOnSurface1.inPosition ($pos.x) ($pos.y) ($pos.z);
float $u = `getAttr closestPointOnSurface1.parameterU`;
float $v = `getAttr closestPointOnSurface1.parameterV`;

vector $color = `colorAtPoint -o RGB -u ($u) -v ($v) ramp2`;
particleShape1.rgbPP = $color;

Hope it will get you started in the right direction regarding both questions...
Also there's some discussion about it in an old thread here:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=86&t=649795&page=1&pp=15

and probably more threads.

EDIT: oh, just noticed you were asking in regards to instances! I'm a bit rusty on the issue, but as I remember, assigning different colors in sahding to particle instances has some challenges....?

Aikiman
04-13-2010, 01:44 AM
Hello,

is there a way to make particles instance appear or disappear depending on the distance of an object with nearest point on surface ? and pick the color of this point to apply it to the color of the instance ?
would be great :)
thank you for your help
Nicolas

Yes you could affect transparency of an instance using nearest point but you cant change the color per particle on the instancer.

nelsig
04-14-2010, 10:34 AM
Hello guys,

thanks a lot for giving me the way ... I will come back as soon as I have some results
all the best

Nicolas

CGTalk Moderation
04-14-2010, 10:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.