PDA

View Full Version : Instancing Animated Geoetry To Particles

G.H.O.S.T
04-12-2010, 03:24 PM
Hey guys!
Is there some other way to instancing animated geometry to particles than this (http://caad.arch.ethz.ch/info/maya/manual/UserGuide/Dynamics/AdvTopics.fm5.html) ? I have geometry with geometry cache and I want randomize this animation while particles are moving.

Wick3dParticle
04-12-2010, 05:44 PM
Hey Ghost,

You dont have to use only 3 separate positions like in that basic explanation. You can dupe your object on every frame and offset the animation cycle with some expressions to randomize your cycles.

~Ilan

G.H.O.S.T
04-12-2010, 05:50 PM
Wick3dParticle , thanks for reply. Is this only way to do this? I mean without duplicating it every frame.

Wick3dParticle
04-12-2010, 06:42 PM
Well I know you can instance an animated object (or multiple ones), but that is tons of overhead and will slow your scene down. Also as far as I know, if you instance one animated object; Maya wont know how to offset that animated object. In cycle mode each frame of the cycle is an instanced object, so that's not a problem to offset.

~Ilan

G.H.O.S.T
04-12-2010, 07:06 PM
OK. Thanks for detaled info.

CGTalk Moderation
04-12-2010, 07:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.