PDA

View Full Version : 2D digital techniques for B/W Comic-book-type art?

stucklessportfolio
04-11-2010, 10:32 PM
Hello CGTalk community!

Ths is my first post here, my name is Craig and I've had quite a carer in illustration & design, and hope to continue producing works, but with a twist! Read on...

Included in this post is a 2D artwork I composed TRADITIONALLY with Technical Pens, Bendai Screens, Brush Pens and Graphite, on water colour illustration board.

Heres the link to my art...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_25wHUPvUJm8/S4r5JhpvFbI/AAAAAAAAAQQ/0QYMwDqrAJw/s1600-h/css_sp_review_comic_book_07_19.png

I am hoping folks from the community would guide me to any tutorials on techniques on how to reproduce this sort of 2D-b/w-comic-book type work but DIGITALLY.

I have ben researching the web for just such material, and I have found an abundance of material on Digital Painting and of course,3D CG art.But not so much on 2D techniques....? Strange no?

I have a Graphire2 Wacom tablet which I intend to upgrade to an Intuos4 Tablet, as well I have the latest version of a popular photo-maniplation application to "draw" with. As well I am looking into using a demo of Manga studio.

Thank you.

Lunatique
04-15-2010, 04:33 PM
You should check out the software Manga Studio--it has all the digital version of traditional comic book tools, including screentones.

stucklessportfolio
04-27-2010, 11:49 PM
Indeed, thanks for replying, sorry for my delay in responding.

I am looking into Manga Studio Ex 4, as an option, It seem THIS version is the version where you can export your filled with screens 2d scanned art in a .tiff format. Very useful for layout, Apparently the regular version doesn't offer this(?)

As an aside I see you won an award here , Lunatique, hmmm, fro what image is there a link available?

Getting back to the subject, if anyone else has anything to add to this discussion please do so, in my near academic research into the subject, I am finding it very hard to find useful information. So, this needn't be the end of the thread......

Lunatique
04-28-2010, 04:44 AM
As an aside I see you won an award here , Lunatique, hmmm, fro what image is there a link available?

If you click on the portfolio link under my avatar picture, you'll find them. I think there were five awards I had won, for these paintings:

Scythe Wolf
Memories of Hangzhou
Ordinary Heroes
Elena Formal Portrait
Promise

CGTalk Moderation
04-28-2010, 04:44 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.