PDA

View Full Version : Best method for creating stiching on seats.

irwit
04-11-2010, 07:51 PM
Hi all

I'm a little new to Modo but have been watching as much how to videos as I can, however the methods I have seen people creating stitching have mainly been texture maps. Although I was impressed with how they are created I don't think that they give enough detail for what I am looking for.

The method I am hoping to create is to somehow duplicate a stitch model across an edge but for every duplicated model apply an image of the bump map I want for the stitch holes on the underlying leather model. Does anyone know if this is possible to both duplicate a model and a texture map across another model?

Or if anyone has any other or better methods of creating stitching would they care to share ?

Thanks for reading and any help would be much appreciated!

mrreynolds
04-12-2010, 01:41 AM
Good method is described and shown in Andy's Sport Shoe tutorial.
He's drawing it with painting tool and then makes bump, as I remember.

StephanePayette
04-12-2010, 05:44 AM
This is a recent tutorial that uses image based scultping and the image ink to create stiches: http://www.luxology.com/training/video.aspx?id=512

mrreynolds
04-12-2010, 02:57 PM
This is a recent tutorial that uses image based scultping and the image ink to create stiches: http://www.luxology.com/training/video.aspx?id=512

yeah, this one is great too, and more fresh. This vidoe was made during his Modo presentations in Germany, as I remember.

irwit
04-12-2010, 03:43 PM
Hi Guys

Thanks for the links, I had checked that one out before however it is just relying on bumps maps which isn't going to cut it for me. I really need to be able to get these stitch's to fill the screen so a combination of bump map and modelled stitching is required, however I need a way to automate the creation of the geometry stitch and the bump map on the underlying leather.

StephanePayette
04-12-2010, 06:43 PM
I really need to be able to get these stitch's to fill the screen so a combination of bump map and modelled stitching is required, however I need a way to automate the creation of the geometry stitch and the bump map on the underlying leather.

In that case, maybe renderable curves are the way to go...

You can make a curve out of the geometry by using the Geometry/curve palette. Select the edges that you would like to make your curve from, and chose make open curve.

Push some points to form the stiches. Assing a material. Drag this material above the base shader. Add a new shader and check Render Curves

CGTalk Moderation
04-12-2010, 06:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.