PDA

View Full Version : Shadows: blured or not?

lazzhar
09-09-2003, 01:31 PM
I'm trying to show the head i modeled and textured in an attractive way. If you could see in the link above, I've tryed more than lighting and rendering.
I know that using Area lights is often used in lighting closeup shots, but i feel that a strong shadow could be more attractive in my scene. When using sof shadows it looks flat, or am i wrong?
Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=86789

soulburn3d
09-15-2003, 06:30 AM
Well, that's the nice thing about arealights, they start off sharp and end up soft, which gives your image a more realistic appearance. The size of the arealight controls how quickly the shadow softens out, so in general, I would recommend using arealights if you have a renderer that will handle them nicely.

- Neil

lazzhar
09-15-2003, 11:24 AM
Thanks
Using Area lights is gives a realistic look according the lighting you are simulating. If we want to have a subject illuminated by light coming from window for example, we should use area lights.
but personaly, I see the the lighting gives a flat look, the geometry is almost hidden ! like using GI or FG. May be that's why the old technique of 3 points is still used nowdays.
thanks again for helping.
-lazhar

soulburn3d
09-15-2003, 04:12 PM
I still use the 3 point light setup, I just replace the 3 lights with small arealights, or just replace the key light with an arealight, I find it givs the shadows a little more character to them. But feel free to do whatever looks best for you of course, there are no rules.

- Neil

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.