PDA

View Full Version : Entering the Mind through the Mouth - Video Clip

dakkk
04-10-2010, 08:03 PM
Hello, Guys.
I've just posted the 9 min long video clip of my short, 'Entering the Mind Through the Mouth'(23'40'')
It is still screening at some film festivals around the world, so I would publish full version later.
I hope you enjoy it!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djeJY82Tlh8

gauranga108
04-10-2010, 08:59 PM
I think this piece has some really original ideas. I love movies that I can't figure out how they did it or what they used. I also love movies that make me not care what or how they did it and this falls into both categories for me.

The story was clear for the most part. The main character was clear and his intentions seemed fairly clear. Everything helped tell the story so you could be really subtle which is refreshing.

I like the acting choices. Nothing over done. Then when the kid does react to see himself in the cage with the girl his subtle expression change is really powerful. Some of the animation was a little weak and drew attention to it's self but not often enough to throw me off.

The camera language was really nice. I can tell the person making camera decisions has a lot of experience. I didn't have to try and figure out where I was even though we were all over the place, this is not easy to do. They weren't moving the camera for no reason. The depth of field was nicely done. Compositionally it's well used and created lots of depth, adding to the emotional situation of the character.

Color was one of my favorite parts. Such an extreme palette yet totally fitting. Really well thought out.

Design was good too. Original places and faces. The characters were proportional original as well which is not easy to pull of. It shows the person designing the characters understands anatomy.

This piece feels like it was heavily planned out, very thought full and clearly communicated as a result. Everything fit.

My only criticism is some of the animation was weak at made be disconnect.

ragdoll
04-11-2010, 12:10 AM
your style reminds me of tekkonkinkreet...which parts of this film is in 3d and how much of it is 2d? incredible feat! hope you could get around to posting the full film soon.

dakkk
04-11-2010, 01:47 AM
I think this piece has some really original ideas. I love movies that I can't figure out how they did it or what they used. I also love movies that make me not care what or how they did it and this falls into both categories for me.

The story was clear for the most part. The main character was clear and his intentions seemed fairly clear. Everything helped tell the story so you could be really subtle which is refreshing.

I like the acting choices. Nothing over done. Then when the kid does react to see himself in the cage with the girl his subtle expression change is really powerful. Some of the animation was a little weak and drew attention to it's self but not often enough to throw me off.

The camera language was really nice. I can tell the person making camera decisions has a lot of experience. I didn't have to try and figure out where I was even though we were all over the place, this is not easy to do. They weren't moving the camera for no reason. The depth of field was nicely done. Compositionally it's well used and created lots of depth, adding to the emotional situation of the character.

Color was one of my favorite parts. Such an extreme palette yet totally fitting. Really well thought out.

Design was good too. Original places and faces. The characters were proportional original as well which is not easy to pull of. It shows the person designing the characters understands anatomy.

This piece feels like it was heavily planned out, very thought full and clearly communicated as a result. Everything fit.

My only criticism is some of the animation was weak at made be disconnect.

Thanks for your deep obesrvation and feedback. I really loved to read your thought about my short. I'll try to make visual more picuresque for my next project.

dakkk
04-11-2010, 01:49 AM
your style reminds me of tekkonkinkreet...which parts of this film is in 3d and how much of it is 2d? incredible feat! hope you could get around to posting the full film soon.

Right. I did this short with 80% of 3d and 20% of 2d. all characters are 3d and interior background are all 3d and cityscape is made of almost 2d.

lipuster
04-11-2010, 09:28 AM
Hi Jin,

Ever since I saw your posts few months back I have been a huge fan and eagerly waiting to find your films online. If they were available in my area I wouldn't think twicw before buying them.A huge congrats on your mammoth achievements. I hope both films get the recognisation they thoroughly deserve. I must say (at the cost of sounding naive) that you are one huge inspiration. :bowdown:

btw, The video clip somehow exceeded the expectations I had from the trailer.

dakkk
04-11-2010, 08:17 PM
Hi Jin,

Ever since I saw your posts few months back I have been a huge fan and eagerly waiting to find your films online. If they were available in my area I wouldn't think twicw before buying them.A huge congrats on your mammoth achievements. I hope both films get the recognisation they thoroughly deserve. I must say (at the cost of sounding naive) that you are one huge inspiration. :bowdown:

btw, The video clip somehow exceeded the expectations I had from the trailer.

Thank you for being interested in my works. I'll start new animated film late this year. and it will be a feature this time. It will be really challenging, I guess. :)

gauranga108
04-11-2010, 08:39 PM
To clarify I found your video very picturesque. I just thought some of the animation was a little weak is all other then that quite successful.

Did you do all this your self?

How long did you spend on it?

What is your creative work flow?

What is your experience/education before you did this piece?

Sorry to be so nosy, I understand if you don't want to answer these questions.

dakkk
04-11-2010, 09:40 PM
To clarify I found your video very picturesque. I just thought some of the animation was a little weak is all other then that quite successful.

Did you do all this your self?

How long did you spend on it?

What is your creative work flow?

What is your experience/education before you did this piece?

Sorry to be so nosy, I understand if you don't want to answer these questions.
No problem at all!! :)
Yes, I dit it by myself. I have been working for game, architect, and Web before I started this project.
I worked on two animations at the same time, witch are ‘Tom N Jerry’(11’40’’)
and “Entering the Mind through the Mouth’(23’40’’). I’ve spent about 15 hours
everyday for total 15 months. 8 months for ‘Tom N Jerry’ and 7 months for
‘Entering the Mind through the Mouth’. Strangely I could finish ‘Entering the
Mind through the Mouth’ for almost same period of ‘Tom N Jerry’ even if
it was almost twice as long as ‘Tom N Jerry’. I guess I could reduce the process
time just because I used 3d software to make all scenes and I did not need
the time for communicating with co-workers to let them understand what I
thought in my mind and I boldly abbreviated the Storyboard and animatic
process. One of the Most useful ways to cut down the process time was giving
up fixing many shots I was not satisfied with for completing whole animation.
Sometimes I had to fix it, but I didn’t have much time even if I really wanted
to do. Another way was putting all my energy and time into only making this
project. After the whole process time, I was really sick because I worked so
hard without a break.
Thanks for being interested in my works. :)

CGTalk Moderation
04-11-2010, 09:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.