PDA

View Full Version : Why is the zbrush render so good?

Heroes
04-10-2010, 06:03 PM
Can someone explain why the zbrush REAL TIME render is so clear and crisp, yet animation software like Cinema 4d or Modo etc cannot bring in detailed models from zbrush?

cgbeige
04-10-2010, 10:28 PM
Pixols, the display tech in ZBrush, is a specialized drawing engine that's not like traditional OpenGL/DirectX GPU-based realtime rendering. I suspect that it's a similar thing that's being used in Mari, The Foundry's new ridiculously fast texture painter:

http://media.fxguide.com/fxguidetv/fxguidetv-ep078.mov

sdserbos
04-11-2010, 01:08 AM
It's because of the high density of tiny polygons and more importantly the fact that the normals of all these small polygons are sharp.

cgbeige
04-11-2010, 06:46 AM
? I think you mean smooth. If they were sharp, the faces would be faceted and flat.

Either way, that doesn't have anything to do with it.

ambient-whisper
04-11-2010, 11:29 AM
? I think you mean smooth. If they were sharp, the faces would be faceted and flat.

Either way, that doesn't have anything to do with it.

no , he means sharp :) zbrush doesn't smooth any of its normals at all, and makes sure to skip some of the stuff that makes cpu processing slower. the only reason zbrush models look smoother is because you subdivide them so many times. however if you were to zoom in close enough youll notice that the model is still very much faceted.

CGTalk Moderation
04-11-2010, 11:29 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.