PDA

View Full Version : mocup on rig is it possible?

DariuszLacheta
04-10-2010, 03:55 PM
Is it possible to use mocup on any rig and after that animate it by hand, make fixes, tweak etc?
my first answer is: no :) but maybe with smart control retatgeting or something like this could be possible, but i don't know if anybody done this before in maya :)

but in motionbuilder this should be easy? am I right? i know alnost nothing about motionbuilder :)

Mark-J
04-12-2010, 07:42 AM
Yes, all you need to do is to bind your rig to the mocap, use layers to tweak the animation bind, then bake the data back to the rig once you're happy with it. Our process is this:

1: We generate a Bind file which has the required rig constrained, via offset nodes, to the target MoCap skeleton (in T-pose). Basically you have the rig bound, wristCtr to wristJnt etc so that it follows the motion. We have a complex offset system to carefully setup the relationship, but if the 2 skeletons are close in proportions you don't need to go that far.

2: You get the MoCap delivered in FBX format, this way you can just drag the fbx into the bind scene to load the data, and more importantly, you can keep dragging fbx files onto it to update the anims. Tip, rename your target skeleton hierarchy with a prefix and get the MoCap delivered with tha prefix on all joints, this way it doesn't get mixed up on FBX import with anything else in the scene.

3: You use layers or Trax to offset the bind, basically massage the data so it's doing exactly what you want. Normally things like hand placements and contact points, plus general pose tweaking.

4: Once everything is good, we run a bake to throw the data directly back to the rig and delete the driving fbx data. From then on you're left with a normal rig.

Hope that helps

Mark

DariuszLacheta
04-12-2010, 07:33 PM
tanks Mark-J for your detailed answer, I will check how it work.

thank you! :)

aaibel
04-13-2010, 09:09 AM
Hi,

In our system we only get a bvh file and then we get the motioncapture data by retargeting the file in motionbuilder. I was just wondering if it would, in theory, also be possible to use the bvh file directly, so that motionbuilder doesn't need to be used? Only at the start of researching motioncapture though so not sure if this is even possible.

DariuszLacheta
04-13-2010, 12:16 PM
maybe this could help

http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/downloads/scripts-plugins/utility-external/c/mocap-file-importer

http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/downloads/scripts-plugins/utility-external/export/c/bvh-file-import-export-for-maya

but i didn't try it, these scripts don't support maya 2011 yet :/

Mark-J
04-13-2010, 01:16 PM
Hi,
In our system we only get a bvh file and then we get the motioncapture data by retargeting the file in motionbuilder. I was just wondering if it would, in theory, also be possible to use the bvh file directly, so that motionbuilder doesn't need to be used? Only at the start of researching motioncapture though so not sure if this is even possible.

Depends where you're actually doing your animations. If your end target is a rig in Maya, and you start with BVH data, then yes, you can by-pass Maya. However, from our experience of BVH data it does have issues with the upper spine in that you only have a single bone for the whole back, really doesn't give you the best data to target the shoulders with.

aaibel
04-14-2010, 09:02 AM
Thank you very much for the reply. Yes, I noticed that the back has a lot less joints, however it might be sufficient. Thank you also for the tips with the importer/exporter...I actually used them before and modified them so that the data is being put directly onto a skeleton (they seem to work as far as I can tell) However I seem to have problems with the joint orientation and data itself as I think it sometimes needs to be modified, as some of the limbs aren't following the motion (however I still need to look more into that)
My end aim is to use some kind of offsetting system as this seems to be a more stable solution. My biggest worry is that the rigs are very different size...Otherwise the proportions should be fine, so I am hoping that it should not be too hard to create some kind of system. I am still very much at the beginning of this, as you might notice. Any tips on what to look out for would be greatly appreciated!

Mark-J
04-16-2010, 08:31 AM
I wouldn't worry about scales if you're binding animation from one skeleton to another, especially if the incoming data is BVH or baked out FK skeleton data. Just add a group node above it and scale it to fit the destinations general proportions before making the bind.

We generally grab the source and destination in T-Pose, scale the source so that the general height matches around the shoulders, then we run our procedural binder. All that does is run through the rig and for every controller, it makes an offset node which is parented up to the source joint thats relevant. That's the basis of it, the offset node itself we run has a number of extra features allowing us to slip where and how the bind runs and the percentage of data to take from the given source, but generally it's just JointA drives ControllerA via a Node.

This gives you a live bind allowing you to adjust the mapping on the fly and animate to get a better result. We've been running this for about 8years now and it's rock solid.

Mark

aaibel
04-19-2010, 09:32 AM
Hi Mark-J,

Thank you very much for the reply. Sorry for the late response, I have been away from the computer over the weekend.

I have to admit, that I have not heard of an offset node before, and I was just wondering if this is the actual offset node that is part of the deformer node that comes with the Maya Development Kit? As far as I could see the standard offset node is used to move CVs depending on their weight value. I guess I would have to change this so that actual curves are being rotated. And then the weighing I guess would act as a control on how much of the data would be coming through. I unfortunately have not had a chance to have more of a look at it, and see exactly what this node is all about though.

I was wondering if the same could be achieved with a setup made in the hypergraph with the standard nodes such as multiply/divide etc....I can't wait to look more into this (and probably figure out how silly my questions are)...I might have to wait a little bit though as my time is taken up with more manual rigging related tasks at the moment.

Thank you very much for your help so far...its invaluable, as there is not all that much information out there as far as I could see.

Angelika

Mark-J
04-19-2010, 12:19 PM
Our Offset Node is just a nurbs curve shape, nothing more, you could use whatever you wanted. That said in the latest setups we're now using custom node types so they support our MetaData systems.

All the setups really boil down to is a parentConstraint between a node parented to a joint, and the RigCtr which it's meant to control. This way you can easily slip the node in the joint's local space to alter the mapping.

aaibel
04-20-2010, 09:00 AM
Hi Mark,

Phew, I thought for a sec there that you might be talking about deformer nodes, and that I was waaaaaay off on 'just' constraining the two rigs!

Thank you very much for your reply, I was trying to constrain the rigs and that seemed to work quite well...just have to get more control over the whole thing. Hope I can give an update soon.

Thank you again for all your help.

Angelika

CGTalk Moderation
04-20-2010, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.