PDA

View Full Version : Heat Mirage

Digihelix
09-09-2003, 07:19 AM
I was wondering if anyone out there in the cg world knew how to create a heat mirage. I am trying to have it around an object so i was thinking about using a fluid effect but I dont know anything about fluids. If anyone can help that would be awsome...

Jozvex
09-09-2003, 11:18 AM
I think heat haze effects are usually created in compositing software afterwards.

But you could try using transparent particles that have a low refraction, like maybe a refractive index of 1.05 or 1.1.

Or try using an animated Paint Effects fire brush, but set the Stroke type to 'smear' or 'blur' instead of the default 'paint' mode.

Just some ideas.

:)

alexx
09-09-2003, 11:39 AM
as joz said:
do that in post. otherwise you wont get happy waiting for and tweaking the results!

either do it completely in post, or render out some particles from maya that u use for a displacement later in the comp package.
alternatively you can use an animated fractal on geometry to get the mask channel for the comp.

cheers

alexx

(joz: the idea with the smear brush sounds interesting.. never thought of that :)

Jozvex
09-09-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by alexx
(joz: the idea with the smear brush sounds interesting.. never thought of that :)

Yeah, back when I was first starting to learn Maya I accidentally set a PaintFX brush to 'smear' mode and it looked really cool when animated. Ever since then I've had that thought in the back of my mind, just waiting for a chance to use it on something!

It's gotta be useful somehow! I might give that heat haze effect a go using that idea right now.......

:scream:

DavidWahlberg
09-12-2003, 01:50 AM
Joz, It would be really nice to see an example of some refractive smoke using your idea!

I have been thinking about hot air for quite a long time now...
// David

Jozvex
09-12-2003, 08:03 AM
Ok! I'm back and I've got presents!

I made a heat haze effect using refractive particles. There's a Quicktime movie showing my result here:

www.jozvex.com/temp/HeatHaze.mov

It's 560k. I think it turned out fairly well, but it's super easy to adjust how it looks, so you can get it exactly how you want it. I'm attaching my scene file (Maya 5) for you guys also.

Changing the particle speed, the emitter rate and the particle size all affects how it looks.

;)

DavidWahlberg
09-12-2003, 10:25 PM
Thank you very much Joz! :p
I'll play with your example scene right away to get a feel for the technique.
// David

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.