PDA

View Full Version : nvidia quadrofx 3800 or geforce gtx 285

phamarus
04-08-2010, 09:52 AM
These two cards are giving me a hard time to make decisions.

apart from future plans using it for vue 8 and up, Im also concerned of how it
would perform with, lightwave,3d coat, z-brush and fluid/dynamics engines, also dealing
with volumetric handling such as voxels etc.
Over at newtek forums most people say donīt go with the quadrofx 3800, since they are performing almost the same and even worse in most cases, and that large poly handling or large massive landscape
scene wouldnt benifit from using a quadro fx 3800 versus geforce 285, basicly that most of the
hype around fx 3800 is pure bull.

so the almost three times more expensive card 3800 is only providing better small features
such as better handling of viewports and better antialiasing, but not much more?

I really thought that the quadro fx 3800 would be able to handle massive polyamount better than
the gtx 285 card, maybe Im mislead?

another concern is the opengl view or shading options, if letīs say vue 8 opengl works better with
one of the cards or no difference.

Michael

kaggen
04-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Do you want increased performance when modeling/arranging the scene or when doing final rendering? I suppose you do know that a GFX card only speeds up "realtime" rendering as when using Open GL in the views, and hasn't anything to do with the speed and quality when you actually do a final render of your scene/animation?

phamarus
04-11-2010, 08:20 PM
Do you want increased performance when modeling/arranging the scene or when doing final rendering? I suppose you do know that a GFX card only speeds up "realtime" rendering as when using Open GL in the views, and hasn't anything to do with the speed and quality when you actually do a final render of your scene/animation?

I wont increasement in both:) but Im aware of that itīs up to the cpu for rendering and preview render.
So the question is if the quadro card actually will handle massive landscape scenes better than geforce gtx 285 when modeling and arranging the scenes? aswell as dealing with high poly amount in Lightwave and cad programs.

Thereīs a special effect I use sometimes(not vue) by displacing a geometry sphere/cage object by
using lightwaves procedurals to displace it with for examples animated ripples, and Im also adding
hypervoxels sprites on to those geometry vertices and to get a good density cover/amount of particle vertices, I need tohave very high subdivision for the object, ranging from several millions of polys, so thereīs someconcerns that geforcegtx 285 cards might not be suitable for handling that amount of polys to display a smooth animation feedback in the open gl.

http://vimeo.com/1539143

I do have a quadro fx 1100 card right now.

cturner3d
04-15-2010, 09:59 PM
I use the 285 right now and have no trouble at all with it in scenes over 100 billion polygons. Work PC has a quadro 1500 and it crashes over and over, I don't think the amount you're gunna pay for the quardo is really worth it in Vue.

DuttyFoot
04-16-2010, 01:35 AM
if i were you i would go with the 285 and save all that cash you are about to spend on the 3800

phamarus
04-16-2010, 07:13 AM
I use the 285 right now and have no trouble at all with it in scenes over 100 billion polygons. Work PC has a quadro 1500 and it crashes over and over, I don't think the amount you're gunna pay for the quardo is really worth it in Vue.

100 billion polys, well yeah but that might be in vue instancing scenes right? vues instance technology
makes it work with massive polys for most cards anyway, thereīs probably no one around
that can give an exact compare between the two cards.
The question is how well it performs during massive polyamounts in standard 3d apps as well

go with the 285! well yeah.. I hear that alot, Im gonna take some time to investigate it a little bit more
before I make a decision, checking out the technical brief of nvidiq quadro vs geforce gpus.

whatīs the issue with your crashes on the quadro 1500, is it crashing the program vue, or does it
crahs the whole system so you need to boot up, or is it crashing alot with other software?

Michael

cturner3d
04-25-2010, 02:35 AM
100 billion polys, well yeah but that might be in vue instancing scenes right? vues instance technology
makes it work with massive polys for most cards anyway, thereīs probably no one around
that can give an exact compare between the two cards.
The question is how well it performs during massive polyamounts in standard 3d apps as well

go with the 285! well yeah.. I hear that alot, Im gonna take some time to investigate it a little bit more
before I make a decision, checking out the technical brief of nvidiq quadro vs geforce gpus.

whatīs the issue with your crashes on the quadro 1500, is it crashing the program vue, or does it
crahs the whole system so you need to boot up, or is it crashing alot with other software?

Michael

heh, the 1500 system crashes mostly because my boss is ignorant and won't put the cash out for a real machine. He bought pre made Dell's and thought he was getting PIXAR/ILM quality for around $1000 each. Each machine is less than a year old still on XP 32bit with 3gb Ram and Quadro 1500's. But in all reality those cards are not the greatest, more low end, could be used for photoshop and 2d app's pretty well but once in 3d its a whole new world.

phamarus
04-25-2010, 11:54 AM
heh, the 1500 system crashes mostly because my boss is ignorant and won't put the cash out for a real machine. He bought pre made Dell's and thought he was getting PIXAR/ILM quality for around $1000 each. Each machine is less than a year old still on XP 32bit with 3gb Ram and Quadro 1500's. But in all reality those cards are not the greatest, more low end, could be used for photoshop and 2d app's pretty well but once in 3d its a whole new world.

You know I have the quadrofx 1100 2gb ram and windows xp 32 bit, 3ghz cpu..and
itīs not really that bad.

The thing is that something is freezing my computer quite often, wich I am pretty sure is
due to me banging on the top of the machine to get the fan to stop with itīs noise..yeah
I know, extremly stupid to do that..lesson learned.

then thereīs of course an upgrade thought to better handle future demands with 64 bit and cuda etc, but I was actually quite pleased with the quadro fx 1100 otherwise.

Michael

shokan
04-25-2010, 10:08 PM
Someone who makes training videos about Vue told me to stick with gaming cards by nvidia.

phamarus
04-26-2010, 07:14 AM
Someone who makes training videos about Vue told me to stick with gaming cards by nvidia.

doesnīt say that much thou, the question is why to stick with gaming cards, are they faster or what?
or is it just that itīs merely a minor speed increasemental thatīs not worth it?

how much should we be concerned of that gaming cards donīt have certified drivers as the quadro series has?

Michael

CGTalk Moderation
04-26-2010, 07:14 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.