PDA

View Full Version : Modo demo in Amsterdam

terryford
09-08-2003, 10:49 PM
The Luxology page has been updated with the following info;

"If you live in Europe and would like a chance to see modo in action, you will be happy to know that Luxology will be demonstrating modo in the Apple booth at IBC in Amsterdam, September 12th through the 16th at the RAI convention center."

http://www.luxology.net/index_d.aspx

Regards,
Terry

isnowboard
09-09-2003, 03:37 PM
Just don't send CGChannel over to video tape it!

Equinoxx
09-10-2003, 10:37 AM
excellent, gonna check it out then coming saturday

terryford
09-10-2003, 01:03 PM
Cool, Equinoxx; if you make it to the show can you report back here with your impressions? I'd be interested to know what Modo looks like from a Max user prespective.

Regards,
Terry

Equinoxx
09-12-2003, 03:00 PM
yeah sure no problem :)

i'd be happy to share my opinions, tho i doubt that i will get a hands on experience, which is usually where all apps falter.

theory is great, practise is soso . . . we'll see.

lightwolf
09-15-2003, 09:49 AM
Hi guys...
Well I'm back from IBC, and I've had a look at modo.
The UI looks really nice, and you can very easily create a new ui from scratch within a couple of minutes. It is extremely impressive, and the pop-up menus seem to be quite neat as well.
The version showed was apparently the same they showed at Siggraph, and I've heard something like release Q1/Q2 2004 for under $1000.
One thing I missed was a construction history.
The Tools are very modeler like, with new interactive 3D gui elements here and there (like a graphical fall off that you can keep activated regardless of the current tool).
Edges are very neat, and features like snapping to BG geometry looked really cool. There are a couple of nice, new tools in there.
One thing that I hope they change is that currently many tools are duplicated for diifferent selection modes (i.e. "Polygon Knife" and "Edge Knife", where one "Knife" tool would suffice). I assume that will be changed.
Cheers,
Mike

terryford
09-15-2003, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the info lightwolf. Release next year? Awww...

Originally posted by lightwolf
One thing that I hope they change is that currently many tools are duplicated for diifferent selection modes (i.e. "Polygon Knife" and "Edge Knife", where one "Knife" tool would suffice)...

IIRC somebody on the Newtek forum mentioned a similar tool overload for "Bevel" and Arnie Cachelin implied that this is so that specific elements can be worked on while in multi-element select mode. :shrug:.

Regards,
Terry

lightwolf
09-15-2003, 12:53 PM
Hi Terry,
Well, while Arnie's comment does make sense, shat would the point of a selection mode be then?
I'd rather have a versatile tool by default, and then may be a modifier for the tool invocation command that one could use in buttons.
For example:
Button for Bevel: "Bevel"
Button for Bevel Polygons: "Bevel -polyonly"
Button for Bevel Edges: "Bevel -edgeonly"
...or something like that. It would imho make more sense. Let's wait and see.
I'm very impressed by the UI though, very, very cool stuff.
Cheers,
Mike

isnowboard
09-15-2003, 01:54 PM
Mike,

Did they just show the modeler? How much of the texturing stuff tdid they show?

lightwolf
09-15-2003, 02:46 PM
Hi inowboard,
Just the modeler, as I said, the software was the same build shown at siggraph. I just saw some of the (...same) UV mapping, which is supposed to be greatly improved (I didn't spend that much time with it, I'm not that hooked on modelling. I'm looking forward to seeing the other bits of the package everybody seems to be expecting).
Cheers,
Mike

isnowboard
09-15-2003, 03:03 PM
I heard they had a super cool rotate tool too! :) Thanks for the info.

lightwolf
09-15-2003, 03:07 PM
Well, they do have some nice, new tools in there (mainly improved versions of the stuff we know and derivatives), the accustomed toolset adapted to edges, but I have to admit I was concentrating more on look and feel of the whole thing, and hidden giveaways as to what a whole package might bring. Didn't find much though :( ;)
Cheers,
Mike

terryford
09-15-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by lightwolf
Hi Terry,
I'd rather have a versatile tool by default, and then may be a modifier for the tool invocation command that one could use in buttons.
Agreed :). Having multiple buttons for the same tool seems a little like unnecessary clutter to me, maybe checkboxes on the numeric panel to disable elements would be neater?

Heh, I'm making feature requests and it's not even out yet... :thumbsup:

Regards,
Terry

Milho
09-16-2003, 12:43 AM
Having multiple buttons for the same tool seems a little like unnecessary clutter to me

Hey, isnt that whats maya all about ;)

I also saw modo there. Looked pretty neat but nothing really new. Anyway its nice that itll support all big 3d packages. There are even some build in ui templates for lightwave, maya, 3dmax so the views and buttons are layed down similar in modo.

Looks like a nice stand alone modeler. I missed to ask if its an apple only thing though. :shrug:

CG.p
09-16-2003, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by terryford IIRC somebody on the Newtek forum mentioned a similar tool overload for "Bevel" and Arnie Cachelin implied that this is so that specific elements can be worked on while in multi-element select mode. :shrug:.

It sounded like Arnie was saying it was like that was so, if someone wanted, they could have a panel with tools specific to certian functions. It isn't like you need to have all the tools on one panel. All the people that are nuts about edges can drop buttons for quick access to polys and points.

Looks like a nice stand alone modeler. I missed to ask if its an apple only thing though.

Having the PC screenshots and people seeing it running on a PC laptop at SIGGRAPH might answer that one. :)

Milho
09-17-2003, 12:19 PM
I posted some pics of the ibc and modo in this thread: http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87277

enjoy :thumbsup:

Pazur
09-26-2003, 07:14 PM
hello,

here's some video stuff from IBC

http://www.rendernode.com/articles.php?articleId=85

:buttrock:

terryford
09-26-2003, 08:50 PM
Thanks Pazur (and Milho for the stills).

Hopefully these videos will be more informative than the CG Channel debacle, so far so good. :)

Nice to see the interface being laid out from scratch, looks simple... Damn ambient sound!

Regards,
Terry

-JT-
09-30-2003, 06:53 AM
The second video starts to be interesting : http://www.rendernode.com/articles.php?articleId=85

We finally get to see some modeling, i do like the tube creation through splines (available in max too).

Thalaxis
09-30-2003, 02:58 PM
It certainly looks cool, but I wish I could understand what the
demoer was saying! Aargh. :/

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.