PDA

View Full Version : Faq

Pages : [1] 2

salmonmoose
04-07-2010, 03:02 AM
Why must entrants be members of CGTalk or CGSociety?

We need to be able to contact all entrants -- we have one registration system. This also means that all competition entrants are covered by the same set of Terms and Conditions.

Do I have to submit an image in the 2560 x 1600 size?

Yes.

What if I want to do a different aspect image?

You can fill it out to 2560 x 1600 with black borders.

Why do entrants have to be 18 or older?

Prizes include travel packages that need to be sent to a person 18 years or older. There are also restrictions on minors entering competitions in some countries, so it’s only fair to apply the same age restriction to the whole world.

Are there any work in progress uploads?

No. This is not like a CGChallenge. There are no work in progress requirements. All you have to do is upload your entry before the deadline of June 30, 2010.

Can NVIDIA use my art for marketing without asking me?

No. NVIDIA can only use your art as part of gallery, wallpaper or other collections of similar images and objects with your full credits attached. If NVIDIA want to use your work in some other way they will have to contact you directly to get your permission.

Do I still own my entry?

Yes. The copyright to your image is yours. The only uses Ballistic and NVIDIA have right to are those outlined in the rules.

Why must entrants grant Ballistic Media and sponsor (NVIDIA) first right to publish their submitted work in any media?

NVIDIA are the sole sponsors of this competition and have requested this to prevent any unscruplus competitor trying to exploit entrants work. We agree that it would not be fair to let some competitor benefit from NVIDIA’s sponsorship of this competition. This is why we agreed to this restriction in running this competition – it’s fair.

What image file size is best?

Try to keep images under 2MB. Compressing them with something other than Photoshop will help, as will using a lower compression setting - there is no need for 100% quality when compressing JPEG files.

SciFibrow
04-08-2010, 04:13 AM
I. Am. So. In. :)

It mentions "to create vehicle designs for a future on the move ...transport in the style of Syd Mead" does this mean the focus is on the design itself and thus acceptable to present the piece as concept art?

What I have in mind, in keeping the Mead influence, is how he has a graphic way of presenting his finished concept/marker drawings that's really dynamic. Can we use that technique instead of doing a 3D render/polished photoshop painting? I'd still keep it digital, but go for that look.

cheers!

MikeHepburn
04-08-2010, 06:28 AM
Hi SciFibrow,

That would be perfectly acceptable. Looking forward to seeing the end result!

Cheers, Mike

SciFibrow
04-08-2010, 07:01 AM
Thanks Mike. :)

Great!

E-MAX
04-08-2010, 07:12 AM
WELL..this will be fun.CARS + FUTURE + SYD MEAD STYLE = OHH YAHH THIS WILL BE FUN..I'M IN..

nwiz25
04-08-2010, 09:47 AM
this is really amazing! ... may i ask ..
is it allowed to use car brands in concept design? .. e.g. honda .. toyota ....etc

thanks =)

AtsEst
04-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Sorry about the silly question but is it allowed to use Softimage Modtool or any other software like it (non commercial licenses) or would it be a no go for legal reasons?

Legacy40k
04-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Syd Mead is one of my most influential artists. Admittedly I've never really worked in his style before. However, I am going to do my best for this! Time to start practicing my chrome effects it seems!

ficdogg
04-08-2010, 06:41 PM
in the rules states that
6. Multiple entries are permitted.

Does this mean we can submit 2(or more) designs of different cars, or multiple views of the same car.

Chowda
04-08-2010, 08:25 PM
Just to clarify... the vehicle is a Syd Mead style vehicle, not necessarily rendered in the Syd Mead style? I just want to make sure this isn't a Syd Mead ripoff contest.

MarkSnoswell
04-08-2010, 09:40 PM
Designs need to be your own - if they look like a current brand of vehicle that wont get you in trouble, but it wont win points with the judges either.

Syd Meads style is about both the design aspect and the rendered look -- looking futuristic is key.-- Based on user feedback the previous NVArt competition was the best competition (SUREAL - In the Style of Jacek Yerka) we have ever run from the users experience -- I personally received more positive feedback from entrants to that competition than for anything else we have ever done. That, ans the fact that Syd is a living legend are the reasons that contributed to selecting this competition theme.

You aren't restricted to just cars. Syd is famous for his ship and plane designs as well... you are free to dream up any sort of transportation you like. Just make it as futuristic as you can in the style of Syd.

cheers

mark.

Artbot
04-08-2010, 09:41 PM
I'm not sure what a "Syd Mead ripoff contest" is, but I am seeking some clarifications on the rules.

Does "In the Syd Mead style" mean we are to come up with entirely original designs of transport vehicles (which I assume to mean any type of vehicle, including but not limited to: cars, trains, planes, spaceships, etc.) based on the style of his designs, or the style of his renderings?

Also, the rules mention ownership of a "model", which implies that only 3D models/renders are allowed to be entered, correct?

EDIT: Okay, Mark just answered one of my questions.

MarkSnoswell
04-08-2010, 09:49 PM
I'm not sure what a "Syd Mead ripoff contest" is, but I am seeking some clarifications on the rules.

Does "In the Syd Mead style" mean we are to come up with entirely original designs of transport vehicles (which I assume to mean any type of vehicle, including but not limited to: cars, trains, planes, spaceships, etc.) based on the style of his designs, or the style of his renderings?

Also, the rules mention ownership of a "model", which implies that only 3D models/renders are allowed to be entered, correct?

EDIT: Okay, Mark just answered one of my questions.

Most entries will be illustrations - you are free to use any method you want - 2D or 3D.

You are right -- you can come up with any mode of transport you like.

I amended my past post to explain further -- In the Style of Syd Mead means that you should strive to re-create the essence of the futuristic look Syd is a master of. This includes design and execution (look).

Chowda
04-09-2010, 03:40 PM
The "Syd Mead rip off contest" was probably a poor choice of words on my part. Thanks for the clarification though. A very tough challenge indeed.

kromekat
04-09-2010, 05:19 PM
Bizarrely hoping I am not too busy so I get a chance to enter this one! :D

Adam

taruno2r
04-10-2010, 11:34 AM
I am interested in this.
but i am only 17
what can i do ?
if i win any prize , is it enough that i give the address of my elders?????
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

MarkSnoswell
04-10-2010, 02:19 PM
I am interested in this.
but i am only 17
what can i do ?
if i win any prize , is it enough that i give the address of my elders?????
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

I agree - The 18 year old rule is a pain! But NVIDIA our our partners in NVArt. As a US company their lawyers will only permit them to participate in events with legal adults under US law -- so sorry, we are stuck with the "must be 18 or older" rule.

raoof
04-10-2010, 02:36 PM
love to see artist from my neighbourhood.i am also from trichur..
what's meant by in style of syd mead.is it mean we have to render in his style?
I love to participate in this.love it.IAM IN

Lolec
04-10-2010, 04:11 PM
So, we have to go after a retro futuristic look and design language? or a futurism with Syd's illustration style?

Retro futurism
http://www.scrubbles.net/mead/mead1.jpg

or

Futurism

http://www.sydmead.com/features/qatar/images/DOHAfutureSEND-e.jpg

BaronImpossible
04-10-2010, 06:48 PM
In the style of Syd Mead: Imagine looking at a picture and saying, "I bet Syd Mead did that". Take what made you say that and replicate it in your own image.

Lolec
04-10-2010, 06:50 PM
ok. so any of those 2. Thanks

soyodi
04-10-2010, 09:13 PM
i wish to enter but do not reside in the US...am i allowed to participate?

cgdigi
04-11-2010, 11:43 AM
hhmm can i submit some old artworks or should it be new???

MarkSnoswell
04-11-2010, 12:39 PM
hhmm can i submit some old artworks or should it be new???

I needs to be new work -- if you've done something once then it's easier to do it again but with improvements :)

MarkSnoswell
04-11-2010, 12:45 PM
i wish to enter but do not reside in the US...am i allowed to participate?

Yes -- its don't matter where you live. You can enter.

Pan3sar
04-11-2010, 02:31 PM
this is such a kickass contest, will have a go at 2d work for this I think. One thing that I find is still a bit unclear is - is the final solution to be styled like Syd Mead, or simply your own perception of a futuristic vehicle?

Qual
04-11-2010, 03:28 PM
I would like to see more work from Syd Mead.
I checked his personal website but I couldn't find much of his work "surprised".

Mark, why not posting images for reference of Syd Mead like the contests before?
Same as information of the contest, which jury, prices, where are all the good information :)?

I might join again, I loved the first contest and got a nice idea's for this one.

bearfoot
04-11-2010, 04:03 PM
hey

i am slighty confused how to "submit" my entry..

do i simply start a new thread in the NVart section or do i post my final entry in the WIP thread at full res ?

thanks

BaronImpossible
04-11-2010, 04:17 PM
ArnaudLublink - http://events.cgsociety.org/NVArt/05/inspiration.php

bearfoot - http://events.cgsociety.org/NVArt/05/submit.php

Marat-Ars
04-11-2010, 05:51 PM
Hi everyone. Question for moderators. I think it would be better and more understandable if every artist opened his own WIP theme here. As usual in the contests here. For example B-movie. In the WIP thread is that there is now, will in the future all unintelligible. This approach makes it possible to learn from each other. Topic is very interesting. Good luck to all. :)

Marat-Ars
04-13-2010, 04:57 PM
Can't create a WIP thread

That's the message that I see when click on a new thread

Marat-Ars, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

what this?

Genesisa
04-13-2010, 11:59 PM

what doeas that mean? we can upload more than one work? i can make for example 3 images for this challenge?

MarkSnoswell
04-14-2010, 12:54 AM

what doeas that mean? we can upload more than one work? i can make for example 3 images for this challenge?

You can make as many entries as you like. Some people make multiple unique entries -- others make multiple entries with improvements or variations of a single concept. You can do whatever you like.

salmonmoose
04-14-2010, 01:51 AM
Can't create a WIP thread

That's the message that I see when click on a new thread

Marat-Ars, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

what this?

From the first page:

No. This is not like a CGChallenge. There are no work in progress requirements. All you have to do is upload your entry before the deadline of June 30, 2010.

Genesisa
04-14-2010, 11:07 AM
thanks a lot! i will try to make diferent ones.. i got inspired by the theme. by the way.. i invite you to see my work for the challenge.

here is the link. hope you like it! ;)

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=309&t=872338

cuaker
04-14-2010, 06:26 PM
great competition and very inspiring, I love sci fi and many of the movies where he participated as a designer are my favorites.

greetings

Dango77
04-14-2010, 10:05 PM
Loving this comp so far, just wanted to ask a quick question though, I know we can post wip's on this site, but is there any rules against posting wips of what we are creating elsewhere on the web, ie; other 3d websites, our own websites etc?
Just so as we can get more comments and crits from a wider audience. If not no problems, I just wanted to check first.

Marat-Ars
04-14-2010, 11:19 PM
From the first page:

Thank you for your reply. I read it all from the start of the competition. But I still do not understand why the other artists in this competition can create a separate WIP topic, but I can not? I want to place a few sheets from concept to finished 3D models. I also want to show the constructive part and the animation of these parts in the future. Why can not I create a separate thread as the other people here? Or just blocked my account? Explain please?

salmonmoose
04-16-2010, 06:06 AM
Thank you for your reply. I read it all from the start of the competition. But I still do not understand why the other artists in this competition can create a separate WIP topic, but I can not? I want to place a few sheets from concept to finished 3D models. I also want to show the constructive part and the animation of these parts in the future. Why can not I create a separate thread as the other people here? Or just blocked my account? Explain please?

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure how they started threads myself :) I think something is a little broken in the forum permissions that I can't see.

salmonmoose
04-16-2010, 06:08 AM
Loving this comp so far, just wanted to ask a quick question though, I know we can post wip's on this site, but is there any rules against posting wips of what we are creating elsewhere on the web, ie; other 3d websites, our own websites etc?
Just so as we can get more comments and crits from a wider audience. If not no problems, I just wanted to check first.

Nope - not at all - as with all our competitions to date, we don't mind if you post your work in progress on other websites, in fact if you link back to the competition, we encourage it, but the final image we ask you check in with us before you publish it much further than your own personal website :)

LightSovereign
04-16-2010, 12:49 PM
this may sound silly but can our images be sharpened?...or are these images to be printed?.

thank you

Marley

abscnth
04-16-2010, 01:08 PM
I am getting the same permission denied issue in the main NVArt forum, plenty people seem to have been able to create a thread but even though I am a fully paid up CG member I can't get a thread started... whats going on?

Sean

Dango77
04-16-2010, 01:50 PM
Nope - not at all - as with all our competitions to date, we don't mind if you post your work in progress on other websites, in fact if you link back to the competition, we encourage it, but the final image we ask you check in with us before you publish it much further than your own personal website :)

That's great, thanks for the info, I won't post the final image elsewhere until after the comp. And will post wips and links everywhere else!...lol

mavinova
04-16-2010, 05:42 PM
I have a question.

I understand the competition is solely focused on the futuristic transport vehicle. but is this actually a design competition or rather an illustrative presentation?

is the transport expected to be presented in a studio setting or some kind of illustrative environment where the vehicle is in action ? if you leave it up to the artist, I think this will be misused.

I mean most studio settings will look dull compared to a full blown illustration. yet, it will show little design details very well. on the other hand, in a perfect illustration where you have a cool camera angle and other elements, probably your vehicle is in composition. you ll only get a general idea of what the vehicle looks like in that kind of setting (like you wont be able get into the details of the seat), but you have the option to show how it is used, by whom, in what kind of environment and so on.

So I am asking what is the jury's expectation ?
Thank you

TMunro
04-17-2010, 12:49 AM
Thought I'd share this link, some very good quality scans (with permission) from the US Steel booklet Mead illustrated in the early 60's. I think these (along with his work on Gundam) are some of my favourite images and designs.

US Steel: A Portfolio of Possibilities (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mstoll/2214595818/in/set-72157603779992640/)

I tried to create a resource thread for this post but, I think my membership is too new to create threads here?

MarkSnoswell
04-17-2010, 01:02 AM
What are the judges looking for:

The best overall image. This includes both the design element and the overall image - including setting and execution.

Can you sharpen an image:

Yes -- you should use every technique possible to enhance your image. Part of the Syd Mead style is bold use of colour, clean lines and full use of variance scale(dark and light).

lunadude
04-17-2010, 03:02 AM
Thought I'd share this link, some very good quality scans (with permission) from the US Steel booklet Mead illustrated in the early 60's. I think these (along with his work on Gundam) are some of my favourite images and designs.

US Steel: A Portfolio of Possibilities (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mstoll/2214595818/in/set-72157603779992640/)

I tried to create a resource thread for this post but, I think my membership is too new to create threads here?

Holy carp! :bounce: :thumbsup:

TMunro
04-17-2010, 05:48 AM
Hey Moderating team, Is there any chance we could get a thread going for sharing resources and inspiration? I know its a competition and all but, It could be helpful.

samygripp
04-17-2010, 11:17 AM
Most entries will be illustrations - you are free to use any method you want - 2D or 3D.

You are right -- you can come up with any mode of transport you like.

I amended my past post to explain further -- In the Style of Syd Mead means that you should strive to re-create the essence of the futuristic look Syd is a master of. This includes design and execution (look).

Are we supposed to submit only scanned copies of hand-made paper work or we have submit a digital one?

LightSovereign
04-17-2010, 11:29 AM
Hey again. i must re iterate what abscnth mentioned. I submitted my art via the "submit your art" page..once finished i am recycled back to the same page with all info gone..this part maybe normal but my art currently at this point, is a no show..

I don't get any of the warning messages such as needing permission etc.

I have saved as 2560x1600 J-peg at 95% on 100dpi. total file size 1.53mb from memory..is this too large?.

thanks again for your time

Marley

LightSovereign
04-18-2010, 06:38 AM
got it solved, thank you. i changed the file name which had a few digits in it..not sure if this is what solved the issue, but i'm in!!.

cheers

Marley

davek1979
04-18-2010, 02:32 PM
Looking at the entries so far, one thing comes to mind:

Isn't the wording "In the style of Syd Mead" a bit confusing ? I mean some people are going completely for design elements found in Syd's works. Look at the wheels, how many more people will come up with those hemispherical discs covering them ? Someone I believe even mentioned that his vehicle will be a puzzle made out of design elements from various Mead's works, he even gave names. I don't mean to be rude or anything, it's just that the rules are a bit loose here I believe.

"In the style of Syd Mead" in my interpretation means - futuristic. That's what he's famous for. He's a futurist. Why should I emulate his graphic style ? Any inherent sense in that ? Why should I choose his design elements ? If the rules said: Use his design elements or derivations of them... then yes, that would be acceptable.

Didn't Mark say the key is to "look futuristic" ? And then mentioned some key features like clean lines and so on...

So far I see a lot of confusion that seriously needs to be addressed. I wouldn't like to spend 2 months on a project that would then be dismissed as "not enough Mead" just because I didn't copy enough of his work. :-)

Hope you understand this the right way guys. Peace with you.

Lolec
04-18-2010, 03:46 PM
Well if you look at the past NVART, most entries and specially the winners looks very similar to the the artist in every aspect not just being surreal.

I think just a futuristic image wont do.

Im going for everything Mead. Design language, color, attitude, style. futuristic etc.

davek1979
04-18-2010, 04:07 PM
Well if you look at the past NVART, most entries and specially the winners looks very similar to the the artist in every aspect not just being surreal.

I think just a futuristic image wont do.

Im going for everything Mead. Design language, color, attitude, style. futuristic etc.

I'm sure there must be some fine line between simply copying him and doing stuff "in his style". Maybe this competition is about finding it ?

BaronImpossible
04-18-2010, 04:14 PM
"In the style of" simply means reminiscent of. If you produce an image that doesn't remind the viewer of Syd Mead's work then, in all liklihood, it won't be considered. Given any image I've not seen before I'd be able to say if Syd Mead had done it. Not because he replicates his own design elements, or uses a certain colour palette, or only draws certain vehicles (none of which is true), or is simply futuristic, but because he has a unique style. The challenge here is to replicate that style.

Lolec
04-18-2010, 04:21 PM
Create something that people can say, I bet Syd Mead did it. the easy way is to copystuff from 10 images into one. I believe this challenge is about going inside of Mead's head and create something he never did.

Ive never seen a Mead submarine. I don't think he ever did one, well, this challenge is about creating a submarine and make everyone believe its Mead's work.

davek1979
04-18-2010, 04:29 PM
Thank you guys for making this a bit clearer for me.

LightSovereign
04-18-2010, 09:03 PM
hmm well i can only think of one piece that has those chrome half circular wheels..Mine hahahaha (seriously i had a look and could only find one)
The wheels were my interpretation of a mead design..I felt the rest of the vehicle was original enough.

i am actually wondering if this will count against me now so i shall enter a second piece..

it is a valid point brought up..

Marley

meak
04-19-2010, 03:24 PM
hello,
sorry for my bad english.
my question is can I use my work to participate in this incredible contesthttp://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g63/418863/418863_1271689704_large.jpg
thank you

TMunro
04-20-2010, 12:15 AM
Hi,

I'd like to start WIP thread but, I get an error message when I try to post. Does my membership not allow it becasue I'm too new or because my post count isn't high enough?

meak
04-20-2010, 07:47 AM
hello,
sorry for my bad english,
my question is can I use my past work to participate in this incredible contest.
thankshttp://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g63/418863/418863_1271689704_large.jpg

LightSovereign
04-20-2010, 08:18 AM
I know i'm not a mod but the answers are actually in this thread.

TMunro. on page 3 posts 34 and 40 by salmonmoose sums up your query. in short your not actually meant to start your own thread for wip, just submit a final image.

post34
From the first page:

post40 in response to seeing wip threads started
To be honest, I'm not entirely sure how they started threads myself :) I think something is a little broken in the forum permissions that I can't see.

meak

no the art needs to be original for the contest

quoting Mark Snoswell It needs to be new work -- if you've done something once then it's easier to do it again but with improvements :).

plus in your piece i spot some advertising that im sure Nvidia won't like..HP for eg

meak
04-20-2010, 08:43 AM
ok,thank you for the conseil.i it again on the same theme "24h of Le Mans" with style syd mead.
hp;)

RyanWalsh
04-21-2010, 06:43 PM
Do people who dont have a membership post a New Thread??
Where do you submit your artwork?
Do you have to make a New Thread to be entered in the Contest?
Where can I post my artwork so it can be entered in the contest as a Non-member?

MikeHepburn
04-21-2010, 11:14 PM
Hi Ryan,

You have to be either a CGTalker (free) or CGSociety member (paid) to enter the contest.

Submit your work here... http://events.cgsociety.org/NVArt/05/submit.php

No new thread required.

You have to be a member, which is free.

Cheers

davek1979
04-22-2010, 11:25 AM
A page or two back in this thread, BaronImpossible gave a very nice definition of what's expected in this competition -

"'In the style of' simply means reminiscent of. If you produce an image that doesn't remind the viewer of Syd Mead's work then, in all liklihood, it won't be considered."

Thanks to him, I reviewed my understanding of what's expected from me.

Looking at the entries so far, can anyone honestly say the principle of this competition has been generally understood ? Not that I want to be unnecessarily critical, I'm struggling to get under the hood of Syd's style either... it's just that most guys go for nice polished renderings but the spirit of Mead's work is not present... Except for 1 or 2 works that actually make me think "this could have been Mead", nothing out there cuts it so far I think...
Please understand this as an early warning for the better of the competition, not as an attack. We're on the same ship guys.

marul
04-22-2010, 12:25 PM
@davek1979: i agree what you just said. Most of the renderings lack a composition, there are usually no characters and nothing is happening in the scene at all.

I myself, am in a dilemma right now. I wanted to design something that could really work in the near future (next year maybe?) but then i thought it wouldn't be as cool as a machine that uses all the mumbo jumbo that aren't yet discovered/invented. I should decide soon because i'm usually very slow at things like this. Any suggestions/insights?

TMunro
04-22-2010, 12:35 PM
I think in the style of Syd Mead, means all the things he does in his images, from 60's sculpture to the moderne/googie architecture. Its the stuff he puts in his scenes that really sell the images for me.

RyanWalsh
04-22-2010, 08:12 PM
Thank You MikeHepburn (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=201818)

TMunro
04-24-2010, 12:48 PM
Hi,

I apologise if this has been asked previously but, is it acceptable to enter multiple entries that contain similar assets? The reason I ask is, I'm looking at entering a few images, all relating to a similar theme, and wondering if I have the same truck/car/etc in my scenes, it will disqualify the entry? An example would be a car driving down a road as one entry and the same car, parked outside, say a building, as a seperate entry?

MarkSnoswell
04-24-2010, 01:17 PM
Hi,

I apologise if this has been asked previously but, is it acceptable to enter multiple entries that contain similar assets? The reason I ask is, I'm looking at entering a few images, all relating to a similar theme, and wondering if I have the same truck/car/etc in my scenes, it will disqualify the entry? An example would be a car driving down a road as one entry and the same car, parked outside, say a building, as a seperate entry?

Its OK to reuse assets like that...

we also accept different versions of the one concept. We don't want people to abuse this but sometimes entrants just cant make up their mind between two different looks/settings -- and they enter both as separate entries.

rob0tik
04-25-2010, 12:29 PM
I'm wondering about this rule:

"26. It is the entrant's responsibility to ensure that, if the need arises, they can enter the United States of America with a current visa and passport."

It's the ambiguous "if the need arises" part that is confusing me. Under what circumstances would we be required to travel to the US? Is there a ceremony the winners will have to travel to attend, or is it something else? If someone can't travel does that mean they are disqualified?

This will be my first entry into a competition here on CGTalk, after years of lurking its about time I joined in on the fun. I am looking forward to all the awesome images people will come up with, good luck to everyone!

MarkSnoswell
04-25-2010, 02:07 PM
I'm wondering about this rule:

"26. It is the entrant's responsibility to ensure that, if the need arises, they can enter the United States of America with a current visa and passport."

It's the ambiguous "if the need arises" part that is confusing me. Under what circumstances would we be required to travel to the US? Is there a ceremony the winners will have to travel to attend, or is it something else? If someone can't travel does that mean they are disqualified?

This will be my first entry into a competition here on CGTalk, after years of lurking its about time I joined in on the fun. I am looking forward to all the awesome images people will come up with, good luck to everyone!

No one has to travel anywhere to get their prizes for the first stage of the competition...

...but NVIDIA may cover costs of bringing the top three winners to SIGGRAPH

...and the second phase (details to be released) will require travel to the US.

jtrillo
04-25-2010, 07:28 PM
I totally agree with BaronImpossible. I think the interpretation and execution is part of the challenge. Being retrofuturistic/futuristic and rendering in a style does not mean you have to do the same ideas as Syd, the imagination is unlimited. Just google about retrofuture and syd mead backgornd and interviews. He always design a scenario where the object/car might be included to make it believable (and don't avoid real world and historic photo reference). That is a fundamental presentation skill for industrial designers. Just my two cents.
Good luck to all and sorry for my English.

RyanWalsh
04-26-2010, 04:18 PM
No one has to travel anywhere to get their prizes for the first stage of the competition...

...but NVIDIA may cover costs of bringing the top three winners to SIGGRAPH

...and the second phase (details to be released) will require travel to the US.

What if you are suspected Taliban? and America decideds not to let you in. and you win first Place!? You ever think about that? Eh?

Well, what im really trying to say is. If you win, is it required that you do go to Siggraphy? And you say Nvidia will cover costs? Dose this include Tooth-paste? Luxury First Class? Hotel with swimming pool? Come on Details my good fellow xD

TMunro
04-26-2010, 10:09 PM
Found another nice set of Mead's work on Flickr for inspiration.

Flickr set (http://www.flickr.com/photos/kielbryant/sets/72157603903308389/)

nwiz25
04-27-2010, 05:40 AM
Found another nice set of Mead's work on Flickr for inspiration.

Flickr set (http://www.flickr.com/photos/kielbryant/sets/72157603903308389/)

thanks a million mate! :thumbsup:
cheerz :beer:

Aeol
04-27-2010, 07:22 PM
Hi,
couple questions:
1. Is it should be more like "real" future or there some place for adding some sci-fi elements etc.?
2. is it necessary to post WIP before sending entry?
Thanx.

MikeHepburn
04-28-2010, 12:16 AM
Hi,
couple questions:
1. Is it should be more like "real" future or there some place for adding some sci-fi elements etc.?
2. is it necessary to post WIP before sending entry?
Thanx.

Welcome Aeol!

1. It's up to you to interpret
2. No it's not. But the image must never have been published elsewhere, please.

Happy creating!

QuantumPixel
04-30-2010, 04:25 PM
I found a large selection of Syd art works here.

link (http://www.leewiart.com/excellentres/detail.aspx?id=98)

jtrillo
04-30-2010, 04:42 PM
I found a large selection of Syd art works here.

link (http://www.leewiart.com/excellentres/detail.aspx?id=98)
Thanks a lot

QuantumPixel
04-30-2010, 06:44 PM
I tried to create a new thread for my wip but it said for some reason I am not aloud to do so? I checked in the wip forum section and I am able to create a new thread so it seams its just here. what is the reason for this?

jtrillo
04-30-2010, 07:34 PM
I tried to create a new thread for my wip but it said for some reason I am not aloud to do so? I checked in the wip forum section and I am able to create a new thread so it seams its just here. what is the reason for this?
Because u just have to submit a final image, WIP is not necessary.

QuantumPixel
04-30-2010, 08:44 PM
how come all these other people have WIP threads?

jtrillo
04-30-2010, 08:45 PM
See previous post in this thread, I think there is an issue about that. Some can make a WIP an others don't. I'm new in here and I just read about that in the competition rules. Sorry for my english.

jtrillo
05-01-2010, 12:08 AM
Also there is a common WIP thread, I guess it is for the users that already don't have permission to generate a personal WIP thread. If you discover how to do it, please let me know, I am new in here.
Thanks

amscime
05-01-2010, 07:20 PM
I noticed on posting rules at the bottom of the pages of submitted forums is says: You may not post attachments. What exactly does that mean? I submitted a design with pictures of close ups below it. Is this not allowed?

bambam
05-04-2010, 04:10 PM
Hi all

If I have an model that's already been published (Exposed 1) can I tweek it and do a completely different style of render/illustration??

Ter.

MikeHepburn
05-04-2010, 11:26 PM

Hi QuantumPixel,

It's actually a bit of mystery to why some permissions are on in this forum, but no need to fear the judges don't look at the WIP threads at all, just the final product.

MikeHepburn
05-04-2010, 11:51 PM
I noticed on posting rules at the bottom of the pages of submitted forums is says: You may not post attachments. What exactly does that mean? I submitted a design with pictures of close ups below it. Is this not allowed?

By attachments we mean zips and vids

delussu
05-05-2010, 03:41 PM
Hello ( sorry for my bad bad bad bad english :sad: )

I question for ruler 14/19

for exemple;

I posted my illustration in the competition Nvart5, but i'm not win any price ….

What's the matter ?

-This is forbiden posted my illustration in other 3D website

-This is forbiden posted my illustration in my personal website ( for promoted )

-I don't not possibility print my illustration in art book ? ( ex ; imagine fx )

RyanWalsh
05-05-2010, 06:01 PM
Hi QuantumPixel,

It's actually a bit of mystery to why some permissions are on in this forum, but no need to fear the judges don't look at the WIP threads at all, just the final product.

Thats a fat lie..

CGSGreg
05-05-2010, 06:32 PM
Hello Folks,
Just a quick question.
Is this a competition which only open to amateurs or can anyone enter?
Thanks.

MikeHepburn
05-05-2010, 11:39 PM
Thats a fat lie..

it's a fat truth

MikeHepburn
05-05-2010, 11:42 PM
Hello ( sorry for my bad bad bad bad english :sad: )

I question for ruler 14/19

for exemple;

I posted my illustration in the competition Nvart5, but i'm not win any price ….

What's the matter ?

-This is forbiden posted my illustration in other 3D website

-This is forbiden posted my illustration in my personal website ( for promoted )

-I don't not possibility print my illustration in art book ? ( ex ; imagine fx )

The judging doesn't begin till July 1.

delussu
05-06-2010, 04:14 PM
I kow .... but after competition, for the people not winner ?

-This is forbiden posted illustration in other 3D/2D website

-This is forbiden posted illustration in personal website ( for promoted )

-I don't not possibility print illustration in art book ? ( ex ; imagine fx )

amscime
05-06-2010, 04:30 PM
After the competition your allowed to do what you want with it. You have the rights to it win or lose.

delussu
05-06-2010, 04:40 PM
cool :cool: thank's

amscime
05-06-2010, 05:11 PM
You are allowed to post them up in your cgsociety portfolio tho, just not outside of cgsociety.

CGSGreg
05-06-2010, 06:03 PM
Dear Mike Hepburn, just a couple of quick questions.
1. Is the competition just for amateurs?
2. What is the guidelines for the use of existing company logos like for eg. HP, Renault, Champion etc.?
thanks.

delussu
05-06-2010, 07:43 PM
amscime "After the competition your allowed to do what you want with it. You have the rights to it win or lose."

amscime " You are allowed to post them up in your cgsociety portfolio tho, just not outside of cgsociety."

it is " conflict" .... no?

amscime
05-06-2010, 07:46 PM
No, as long as it's posted within the CGsociety it's ok.

jtrillo
05-06-2010, 10:56 PM
Please I want to create my WIP thread. Thanks.

IanMiles
05-10-2010, 08:17 AM
The forum link in the main page is broken. :wip:

MrTheRich
05-10-2010, 02:30 PM
I have a question about the age..
i'm seventeen now, but my bday is on june 11, so i will be eighteen before the ending of the contest.
can i participate? and if so, do i have to wait till the 11th to sumbit and entry??

MikeHepburn
05-10-2010, 11:12 PM
i'm seventeen now, but my bday is on june 11, so i will be eighteen before the ending of the contest.
can i participate? and if so, do i have to wait till the 11th to sumbit and entry??

Hi EmjeR,

Yep, if you submit when you turn 18 everything will be OK.

Good luck, and happy birthday for th 11th!

MikeHepburn
05-10-2010, 11:32 PM
I kow .... but after competition, for the people not winner ?

-This is forbiden posted illustration in other 3D/2D website

-This is forbiden posted illustration in personal website ( for promoted )

-I don't not possibility print illustration in art book ? ( ex ; imagine fx )

Hi Bruno,

Sorry I misunderstood.

Yes, after the competition you can do whatever you want with the image, afterall it's yours:)

But during the competition all entries must be original, and should not have appeared elsewhere. You may have your WIPs appear elsewhere (in fact, if they link back toCGSociety we encourage it), just not the final image.

Good luck!

MarkSnoswell
05-11-2010, 12:36 AM

I see no problem -- go ahead and enter anytime you want.

cheers

mark.

MikeHepburn
05-11-2010, 12:37 AM
Dear Mike Hepburn, just a couple of quick questions.
1. Is the competition just for amateurs?
2. What is the guidelines for the use of existing company logos like for eg. HP, Renault, Champion etc.?
thanks.

Hi CGSGreg,

1. Nope, anyone can enter:)

2. Don't use someone else's trademark without their express written consent! Technically this could also disqualify your entry as the works contained would not be entirely your own. If you do use a registered mark without proper authorization then you are personally liable for any action they may take against you. Sorry about the scariness of the reply, just need to be very clear when it comes to legal fodder:)

MrTheRich
05-11-2010, 07:13 AM
Ok thanks, i don't even know if i'm finished before my birthday.

crazy-pixel
05-11-2010, 08:58 AM
Hi,
i have a question, is there any limit how big ( MB or KB) a picture should be ?

Cheers
Crazy-pixel

FKMaster
05-11-2010, 11:32 AM
Hi,
i have a question, is there any limit how big ( MB or KB) a picture should be ?

Cheers
Crazy-pixel

how about reading the FAQ ?

crazy-pixel
05-12-2010, 11:39 AM
sorry my mistake :D

nwiz25
05-12-2010, 04:51 PM
hey guys!

found more of Syd Mead's work ....

check em out here (http://www.nerviosismo.net/archives/240)

good luck to each one of you! :thumbsup:

enjoy! :beer:

x2ego
05-14-2010, 04:16 AM
Maybe this was already asked, but who did the modeling/render of the title page vehicle?

MikeHepburn
05-14-2010, 04:37 AM
Maybe this was already asked, but who did the modeling/render of the title page vehicle?

It was by an artist called Yan Gostev, I think he's from France, and he did the render as part of his thesis.

LiGHTWORK3r
05-17-2010, 02:35 AM
Hi all

If I have an model that's already been published (Exposed 1) can I tweek it and do a completely different style of render/illustration??

Ter.

i would also like to know this. If something has been 'published' on a blog or website does that mean we can't submit it, or if it's a completely differently rendering/style/scene/etc as bambam mentioned

RyanWalsh
05-20-2010, 01:16 AM
it's a fat truth

yaaaa rite. big fat hamster

MarkSnoswell
05-20-2010, 06:13 AM
i would also like to know this. If something has been 'published' on a blog or website does that mean we can't submit it, or if it's a completely differently rendering/style/scene/etc as bambam mentioned

It's up to the Judges to interpret the rules...

Entries do need to be new. You cant just submit something that is already published elsewhere with minimal changes. But there is nothing to stop you from using models, textures and assets you have previously made and combine them into a new design... this is little different from using procedural primitives and textures.

turbinea
05-20-2010, 07:38 PM
I have a question. Let's say i want to create new vehicle for Tron. I was wondering if it is OK to create image that uses typical or significant elements that appeared in the movie. I'm not talking about placing screenshot from movie behing my model, but recreating scene from scratch. More specificaly, i plan to create new lightcycle and put "old models" from movie next to my model. Could i have problems with this?

MarkSnoswell
05-21-2010, 12:11 AM
I have a question. Let's say i want to create new vehicle for Tron. I was wondering if it is OK to create image that uses typical or significant elements that appeared in the movie. I'm not talking about placing screenshot from movie behing my model, but recreating scene from scratch. More specificaly, i plan to create new lightcycle and put "old models" from movie next to my model. Could i have problems with this?

There is no clear answer to this ...

We are all influenced by what we see -- and the whole purpose of this competition is to learn from emulating the style of Syd Mead.

As long as your work shows significant uniqueness it's OK to borrow influences from wherever you like.

JFVerissimo
05-21-2010, 10:38 PM
Hi,

Can i make the image aspect in format portrait? My composition are better in vertical format and the format landscape will distort my concept.

Thanx

MarkSnoswell
05-22-2010, 03:50 AM
Hi,

Can i make the image aspect in format portrait? My composition are better in vertical format and the format landscape will distort my concept.

Thanx

Sure -- just place it the center of a black image of the required size.

The specified size matches computer screen aspect. This is because the vast majority of visibility of entries is on screens. It's OK to do a portrait image but it must be placed on the same sized image.

JeffersonAF
05-22-2010, 04:46 PM
I'm participating in the event with 3D illustration.
Can I sell my vehicle model on my site?

Marat-Ars
05-28-2010, 03:12 PM
Question. I would like to add NVART WIP thread to WIP / Critique: 3D Stills. Pour the whole process there: sketches, videos and pictures prerender. But the final image to place here. This does not violate the rules? Thanks

TMunro
05-28-2010, 09:11 PM
Man. I feel like this contest is total... Bullsh...
Look at everyones artwork. Its all Computer Models. Paintovers. Photographs.
Wheres the real Art gone now of days.
A HONEST PAINTING IS WORTH MORE THAN A .... I dont know what to say.
Not to mention, nobody mentions the mechanics of the vehicle or what type of engine its using. There is NO. IF NONE of any Creative scientific invention.
Like im sorry. I feel the Future will be GREEN ENERGY
But very advanced green energy never before seen.
The Future is politics, and economy, and enviornment. And our future demands everything to work AMAZINGLY.
But today. The Politics suck, the Economy sucks even more, and the enviornment IS WORSE THAN EVER BEFORE!!
Were wanting to advance in the sectors of green energy. We Have the technology and Brain how to do it. But we LACK The Greatest innitiative from all Sectors of development.
And if we dont impliment the Origin of Change. Total collapse of the world will come to a stop by the Year 3797. As Stated by hear Prophet Micheal De Nostradame.
AND HISTORY CHANNEL IS TOTAL BULLSH... WHEN THEY SPARK THERE CLAMMY HANDS ON NOSTRADAMUS. THEY ARE TOTALLY WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING what they come to assume in there own minds and spit at the people false idealism

@Ryanwalsh, dude relax. The "CG" in cgsociety stands for computer graphics. Of course entries are digital. It's sponsored by a graphic hardware company. The competition isn't BS. It's about "images of future transport, in the style of Syd Mead" I don't think the judges are after an engineering document. I don't think realism is a requirement. A lot of Syds work is complete fantasy. Have a look at his work history. I dont know if "the style of Syd Mead" includes the types of jobs he takes up, personally I think it does but, that's open to interpretation, like everything else in this competition.

Edited for clarity.

RyanWalsh
05-28-2010, 11:33 PM
Ya But whatever happened to just Painting a Picture!

TMunro
05-28-2010, 11:45 PM
If it's bothering you, go buy some gouache and art board, and enter a traditional media piece. I don't think this is the place to discuss why digital has all but replaced traditional media in commercial art.

SciFibrow
05-29-2010, 02:01 AM
@Ryanwalsh, dude relax. The "CG" in cgsociety stands for computer graphics. Of course entries are digital. It's sponsored by a graphic hardware company. The competition isn't BS. It's about "images of future transport, in the style of Syd Mead" I don't think the judges are after an engineering document. I don't think realism is a requirement. A lot of Syds work is complete fantasy. Have a look at his work history. I dont know if "the style of Syd Mead" includes the types of jobs he takes up, personally I think it does but, that's open to interpretation, like everything else in this competition.

Edited for clarity.

quoted for agreement. Don't worry Ryan, just have some fun and make something cool. :) I think most people are doing what they normally do, but adapting it a bit for the competition. Illustrators are illustrating, speedpainters are speedpainting and 3D artists are 3D arting. If you see any of the other comps here that's generally what happens. Whatever your style is, it'll show through, just make sure it's digital because I think that's the idea. And make sure it looks "Mead". ;)

MarkSnoswell
05-29-2010, 02:33 AM
Question. I would like to add NVART WIP thread to WIP / Critique: 3D Stills. Pour the whole process there: sketches, videos and pictures prerender. But the final image to place here. This does not violate the rules? Thanks

That's OK -- you can post materials anywhere on our site... but thanks for asking.

MarkSnoswell
05-29-2010, 04:24 AM
Ya But whatever happened to just Painting a Picture!

It's not how you create a work of art - it's the art that matters. This is the message I have personally championed.

Marat-Ars
05-29-2010, 12:50 PM
That's OK -- you can post materials anywhere on our site... but thanks for asking.

Thank you :)

RyanWalsh
05-29-2010, 07:45 PM
It's not how you create a work of art - it's the art that matters. This is the message I have personally championed.

Personally I find it too excessive.

So, what im trying to say is.

Style of Syd mead is not Game modelled.

Style of Syd Mead is Hand Crafted, REALLY THIS IS ABOUT RESPECT FOR SYD MEAD HERE

. If artists want to game model and cheat there way with the perspectives and what not, Even the Graphic stuff that.. click of a button renders a model differently. Its not like you have to draw the shadow. Not like you have to worry about perspectives. ITS LAZY in my opinion. All the graphic features. Its not like they have to paint Reflective surfaces, and Chromed Pieces and all that other stufffff. Your taking Raw artistic talent for something That is manufactured, and in my opinion disgusting. Its a SLAP IN THE FACE FOR SYD

But you know I don't know syd never had a chat with him, But I got an idea what he is like. And im sure he would much appreciate something that is traditionally founded. Rather than. Game modelled

Theres some principle to art you know.

The Death of Traditional Art!! Sorry Syd

TMunro
05-29-2010, 11:06 PM
Personally I find it too excessive.
So, what im trying to say is.
Style of Syd mead is not Game modelled.
Style of Syd Mead is Hand Crafted, REALLY THIS IS ABOUT RESPECT FOR SYD MEAD HERE
. If artists want to game model and cheat there way with the perspectives and what not, Even the Graphic stuff that.. click of a button renders a model differently. Its not like you have to draw the shadow. Not like you have to worry about perspectives. ITS LAZY in my opinion. All the graphic features. Its not like they have to paint Reflective surfaces, and Chromed Pieces and all that other stufffff. Your taking Raw artistic talent for something That is manufactured, and in my opinion disgusting. Its a SLAP IN THE FACE FOR SYD
But you know I don't know syd never had a chat with him, But I got an idea what he is like. And im sure he would much appreciate something that is traditionally founded. Rather than. Game modelled
Theres some principle to art you know.
The Death of Traditional Art!! Sorry Syd

I think you're confusing commercial illustration with fine art. Syd Meads work for the most part is commercial illustration, not fine art. Being able to paint realistic chrome effects doesn't make you an artist, it just means you practised something till you acquired a technical skill. I'm not saying Mead is not talented, it's obvious he's a skilled designer and illustrator but, your statement is almost as naïve as it is absurd. There is no such thing as cheating in illustration. Something I've noticed is this concept of "cheating" by using 3d for perspective, sampling photo's in mattes, using lights for generating shadows etc. is an opinion, most often, held by people with the luxury of not having to earn a living from their work. Now, I suggest, if you really truly want real traditional art, go finger paint on a cave wall with animal fat and crushed flowers. You know Syd Mead "cheats" right? He uses Photoshop, photocopying machines, even rulers and a paintbrush.

I define myself as a designer... who also is an artist. I treat each capacity as a separate (but not unrelated!) skill set.
Often, clients do no understand that 'making a picture' of a design is a separate effort often, a client will say ''we need a picture of...'xxx' ... and expect me to design what the picture is of, without realizing that the first step, designing the picture subject, is a task separate from being able to make a picture.

Design in medieval times was solely the result of laborious craftsman working solo or in concert with others. Design currently can be the result of a computer aided system being guided by a designer but being manufactured, realized and/or displayed on an rgb screen.

RyanWalsh
05-30-2010, 04:39 AM
Fine. You win. But Just so you know. Im going to win this contest.
I must win this contest. I dont want to be a poor beaten man anymore.

Im sick. Miserable all the time. My mind is constant. Im sick and I cant take it anymore.

I hate the fact I struggle to paint.

I need to win this contest to prove myself, to prove my worth.

mechpen
05-30-2010, 05:30 AM
Fine. You win. But Just so you know. Im going to win this contest.
I must win this contest. I dont want to be a poor beaten man anymore.

Im sick. Miserable all the time. My mind is constant. Im sick and I cant take it anymore.

I hate the fact I struggle to paint.

I need to win this contest to prove myself, to prove my worth.

what's wrong with you?

TMunro
05-30-2010, 08:19 AM
Fine. You win. But Just so you know...
ok.
I wish you the best of luck in the competition, and hope you feel better soon.

LefTerris
05-30-2010, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by RyanWalsh
Fine. You win. But Just so you know.....

mechpen (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=250180) ------> what's wrong with you?

LLLooooooLLLL!

cgdigi
06-01-2010, 05:55 AM
Can CGTALK delete my other entry of the VOLT S5, i only uploaded once.. PLS PLS delete the other VOLT S5, didnt mean to spam it.. pls delete admin..

cgdigi
06-01-2010, 06:10 AM
Hi Salmon, can you please delete the other entries of VOLT S5 in the Accelerate challenge coz when i upload it the uploading percentage was keep on reseting then i found out it was already uploaded.. pls pls delete it didnt mean to spam on the thread,.. i know ur busy but i hope youll have the time to delete it.. thanks a lot

best regards,
Peter

TMunro
06-01-2010, 10:46 AM
@CGDigi, just wanted to say I love your latest entry, I would have commented in the image thread but, wasn't sure which thread would stay. Anyway, top notch work, the competition is really humming along now!

techguy
06-01-2010, 11:55 AM
I'm just curious about the banner on Accelerate, no offense to the guy who made it, just wondering why NVART didnt use the original artwork of Syd since this is a syd style right just like the past contest NVART SURREAL, at least that one was much more clearer.. so what does NVART trying to portray the design of myd only or both Syd's rendering and design?

ipranawake
06-07-2010, 05:18 AM
Do we have to just come up with a concept drawing or ... do we have to really model and render the vehicle in 3D?????

mpta
06-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Hi,

Can I use a photos from stock? I would like to put a photo of a girl into my work.

Thanks

bearfoot
06-07-2010, 03:10 PM
argggh i screwed up..

i just noticed that images cannot be published outside of cgtalk until the end of the comp .. i submitted mine to another forum and displayed my entries on my website ..

if i remove the images straight away is that ok? or am i too late ?

thanks
n

endi2
06-09-2010, 02:28 AM
Hi,

Can I use a photos from stock? I would like to put a photo of a girl into my work.

Thanks

Yes, my question is similar: it is possible to use a photo for the background?

vincent1
06-09-2010, 02:58 AM
How do I get my completed model image into the "view all entries" thread?

I tried submitting twice, but after uploading, the page reverts to an empty "submit your entry" page and my model doesn't show up in the "view all entries" page.

Kindly help as I would like to get comments on the model.

Thanks.

MarkSnoswell
06-09-2010, 03:24 AM
Do we have to just come up with a concept drawing or ... do we have to really model and render the vehicle in 3D?????

You can submit anything you want -- but take a look at the entries already submitted to see what you are up against!

MarkSnoswell
06-09-2010, 03:28 AM
argggh i screwed up..

i just noticed that images cannot be published outside of cgtalk until the end of the comp .. i submitted mine to another forum and displayed my entries on my website ..

if i remove the images straight away is that ok? or am i too late ?

thanks
n

Yes -- that would be OK.

MarkSnoswell
06-09-2010, 03:29 AM
Yes, my question is similar: it is possible to use a photo for the background?

You can use stock photos, textures etc. Just make sure you have rights to use them.

MarkSnoswell
06-09-2010, 03:31 AM
I'm just curious about the banner on Accelerate, no offense to the guy who made it, just wondering why NVART didnt use the original artwork of Syd since this is a syd style right just like the past contest NVART SURREAL, at least that one was much more clearer.. so what does NVART trying to portray the design of myd only or both Syd's rendering and design?

We initially had a Syd Mead image for the banner --- it was Syd who wanted us to use the image from -- Syd provided us with the image.

Marat-Ars
06-09-2010, 04:15 AM
Hello everyone. Question. In reviewing and selecting the works, will take into account additional materials? For example, the structural parameters of the machine in action, animated visualization? Or will choose the finalists only on the final picture? Thank you. :)

PS This question should have been set previously. haha :p

mpta
06-09-2010, 10:49 AM
You can use stock photos, textures etc. Just make sure you have rights to use them.

Aghh too late.. I made her in 3d :P

persianprince
06-12-2010, 07:49 PM
Hello everyone, I have an important question about the contest and I'll appreciate it if someone could answer it soon, well, I'm designing my vehicle up to a brand's name and logo, which is "Apple" and I wanted to make sure if it's legal to do such thing in this challenge... here's a link to my base form :
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=309&t=890503

thank you, I'll be waiting for a respond :)
goodluck guys.

Fottland
06-12-2010, 09:34 PM

Does this include free/purchased royalty free 3d modells? I have designed the car but I would like to have transparent glass in the vehicle, so I need a 3d driver and passenger. It will take me days to complete a 3d character. I just purchased a highres character for a commercial I am working on. Can I use that? As long the design and modelling of the vehicle is mine?

stefano74
06-14-2010, 08:09 AM
Dear Judges,
I have a question:
In Your rules the requirement to enter the competition is "one image", I see that many competitors upload many different rendering of the some vehicles or more shots of the some pictures. I think this shouldnt be allow..of course my vehicles like many others is complex and is difficult to send the whole technical part trough a single image. but that is the spirit of this competition or not? instead the rules are made to be break. Hope you can make a firm point about the respect of the rules. I worked so much on details that is almost impossible to see from the angle i choose to shot the rendering, but that is part of the game... the illustration for me has to transfer Syd ability to explain the context not just the vehicles, but even if someone has a different opinion and want to show his shiny vehicles shouldnt be allow to upload 2 or more rendering showing different angles of the some vehicles.
regards
stef

jtrillo
06-14-2010, 12:09 PM
@stefano74 I totally agree with you, and I was wondering about the same issue. But as far as I know this wont be a problem if you have a good work. As you can see there are some entries with just one image that are far better than some multiple entries form one user. If you can see that I am sure the jury will. I also think the winner should be the one that think his piece is the best, so this piece should be the only one posted. Just my point of view, good luck!!!

stefano74
06-14-2010, 02:51 PM
suerte compadre ;) to you too.
My objection was not for the aim to kick out some contenders in order to win, but just because in any competitions there are rules, from sides, dimensions, number of presentation boards etc. so, if i have to take a render from a certain distance in order to take all elements, and compromised i dont see why other can render different views.
In my case I have to reduce the size of the vehicles to let see humans working around, or i couldnt show another shot for the loading people, and another for the 6 containers, details of the elevators etc...
I know there are some design i really like too, with only one shot but I still believe it is out of the rules and requirements upload more then one image, as clearly express. How you can win if you can not understand the basic rules of the competitions eheheh.
Is like play basketball and pretend to play with 8 players instead of 5;)! But any way as You said the judges will see;) Nice that someone notice the some thing, and even if im tented I wont do other renderings.
It is Syd spirit for me!He makes one drawings and say all...his cartoons way of expressing the idea, colours that set an atmosphere about the vehicles and society...
good luck to you too and I hope will win a good idea NOT only a good shiny rendering;) eheheheh
ciao
stef

amscime
06-14-2010, 03:31 PM
Quick question...

When are we allowed to post our submissions publicly on other sites or our own? What's the date actually?

bigmikey
06-14-2010, 06:31 PM
@stefano74 I agree as well. In the rules:

"4. All entries should be original and not a derivative of existing work,including works previously entered in this competition..."

When someone enters multiple versions of the same entry, only one should be a valid entry. In my opinion. Personally, I find the most of the entries with multiple submissions (of the same vehicle) to be not as strong as those who could get the concept across with just one image.

If you feel you have to show the vehicle from multilple angles to get your concept across, have more than one vehicle in your scene. Like so:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scrubbles/2038454995/in/set-72157603214290965/

stefano74
06-14-2010, 07:30 PM
yep thanks, I know but i would clog the scene... but about the generic rules i do agree that no 1 should be clever or smart to send more views..it is somehow cheating ;) in my scene it was a complex situation where i try to explain the sistem how does it works...and one vehicle is long 50 mitre (55yards). any way it is not about my work... ;) it is about rules and some limitation for everyone.someone didnt respect it. let see what happen but, as it is an important competition and with prices as-well, the organisers should take care about who didnt respect the rules.

MikeHepburn
06-17-2010, 01:06 AM
Hi all,

Something terrible has come to my attention today. One of the NVArt competitors has contacted Syd Mead to try and win some points for his entry. When Syd declined, the competitor abused him in the most disgusting fashion.

We have zero tolerance for such underhanded tactics.

DO NOT try to contact any of the judges. They will only judge the final submissions, and will not enter into debate, nor critique your work prior to the closing date.

Fortunately, 99% of entries are doing the right thing. So good people keep it friendly, and keep up the great work!

Only 2 weeks to go!

TMunro
06-17-2010, 01:34 AM
:surprised wow.. that's low...

techguy
06-17-2010, 03:01 AM
Hi all,

Something terrible has come to my attention today. One of the NVArt competitors has contacted Syd Mead to try and win some points for his entry. When Syd declined, the competitor abused him in the most disgusting fashion.

We have zero tolerance for such underhanded tactics.

DO NOT try to contact any of the judges. They will only judge the final submissions, and will not enter into debate, nor critique your work prior to the closing date.

Fortunately, 99% of entries are doing the right thing. So good people keep it friendly, and keep up the great work!

Only 2 weeks to go!

I think I know whos that desperate guy is, his with the Big Mouth in this competition. lol well sorry for him he just lose his opportunity to win and disgrace himself,. what a looser.

MikeHepburn
06-17-2010, 07:35 AM
WOW... is the first thing that comes to mind when I see the quality of the entries so far.

Only 2 weeks to go before the judging begins - so push those pixels and tweak those vertices for your chance to get amongst the big money!

stefano74
06-17-2010, 12:13 PM
who is this idiot that try to contact Syd? how people can be so stupid... This is what i mean when i was pointed out like many others about rules instead will be a wrestling, instead of a genuine competition.
good luck to all

maddarena
06-18-2010, 12:57 AM
I know it is computer graphic contest but can I make a painting then upload photo of this painting?

TMunro
06-18-2010, 01:12 AM
Deliverables
One image per entry must be uploaded prior to 30 June 2010.
Images must be 2560 x 1600 JPEG images - at least 90% JPEG quality.

Hello Judges,
I'm just wondering about this rule on the submission page... I've entered two images so far, they form a sort of pair. They are both of the same vehicle but are significantly different images stylistically, by this I mean they are not simply different views of the same object. (see the links in my signature). Does they fact they have the same name mean one will be discounted, or will it not matter?
Also, once the images have been submitted, and contain the little cgsociety submission date info on the bottom left , are we allowed to hotlink to these images for our blogs/websites etc?

Thanks for your time

MarkSnoswell
06-18-2010, 06:32 AM
Hello everyone, I have an important question about the contest and I'll appreciate it if someone could answer it soon, well, I'm designing my vehicle up to a brand's name and logo, which is "Apple" and I wanted to make sure if it's legal to do such thing in this challenge... here's a link to my base form :
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=309&t=890503

thank you, I'll be waiting for a respond :)
goodluck guys.

I would recommend staying clear of known brands like Apple ... if you are worried enough to ask then you should probably just change the name a bit -- another fruit perhaps ;)

MarkSnoswell
06-18-2010, 06:44 AM
Although you can enter multiple times don't abuse the opportunity...

Judges don't mind seeing the occasional duplicate entries with some variation -- but if we see lots of multiples it can be annoying.

MarkSnoswell
06-18-2010, 06:47 AM
Hello Judges,
I'm just wondering about this rule on the submission page... I've entered two images so far, they form a sort of pair. They are both of the same vehicle but are significantly different images stylistically, by this I mean they are not simply different views of the same object. (see the links in my signature). Does they fact they have the same name mean one will be discounted, or will it not matter?
Also, once the images have been submitted, and contain the little cgsociety submission date info on the bottom left , are we allowed to hotlink to these images for our blogs/websites etc?

Thanks for your time

During the judging process multiple similar entries will be reduced to the single best as determined by the judges.

Yes - we encourage you to hot-link into your entries and CGPortfolios

Sparlin
06-18-2010, 11:13 AM
Can we submit a portrait image in the same aspect ratio: ie 1600 x 2560?

MarkSnoswell
06-18-2010, 12:05 PM
I know it is computer graphic contest but can I make a painting then upload photo of this painting?

Our definition of digital is that the image is submitted in digital form. In this case I suppose painting is particularly acceptable as Syd Mead still paints his images with physical media... and the results look more 3D than some "real" 3D work.

MarkSnoswell
06-19-2010, 01:38 AM
Can we submit a portrait image in the same aspect ratio: ie 1600 x 2560?

No. You must place your 1600 high portrait image on a 1600 high x 2560 wide landscape black background.

buster1951
06-24-2010, 07:55 PM
I'm working on an image and trying to build an addition on our house at the same time and work too. I'm probably going to be right down to the last minute. Maybe a stupid question, but is the deadline Midnight June 29 GMT or Midnight June 30 GMT?

Also a little confused on the size. It is 1600px x 2560px, but at any resolution? I'm working at 150ppi. I did see an answer to try to stay below 2MB, so does the ppi mater?

Thanks for your help

Stormgetto
06-25-2010, 01:49 PM
I have a question about my account.
Since to enter in this comp. I need to be a CG Member, I would like to know if "free" account membership is allowed, or I would need more higher level membership to be in the comp.

If it is only for contact issue, I have my e-mail info in my account settings, is this enough? or should I have more "contact" information?

MarkSnoswell
06-25-2010, 01:54 PM
I have a question about my account.
Since to enter in this comp. I need to be a CG Member, I would like to know if "free" account membership is allowed, or I would need more higher level membership to be in the comp.

If it is only for contact issue, I have my e-mail info in my account settings, is this enough? or should I have more "contact" information?

Yes -- the free membership if fine... we make sure that there are never any cost barriers for anyone to enter competitions.

MarkSnoswell
06-25-2010, 01:58 PM
I'm working on an image and trying to build an addition on our house at the same time and work too. I'm probably going to be right down to the last minute. Maybe a stupid question, but is the deadline Midnight June 29 GMT or Midnight June 30 GMT?

Also a little confused on the size. It is 1600px x 2560px, but at any resolution? I'm working at 150ppi. I did see an answer to try to stay below 2MB, so does the ppi mater?

Thanks for your help

2560 pixels wide x 1600 pixels high. We ignore all dpi/ppi information in the file.

deadline is the last time Midnight clocks over in the world -- it's the only way to do it and avoid confusion and complaints.

DON'T LEAVE YOUR UPLOADS TO THE LAST MINUTE -- there is usually a rush that slows up the servers!!

PLAN TO DO YOU UPLOADS AT LEAST ONE DAY BEFORE THE END OF THE COMPETITION.

BeamUs
06-27-2010, 04:36 AM
Just to clarify, is the deadline the midnight that the 30th starts or the midnight that ends the 30th?

Reactive
06-27-2010, 06:44 AM
Hello, Mark!
I paint a big panoramic image for contest, 10240x3600, and plan to compress it to 5120x1600. As you can see there are TWO pictures with size "2560 x 1600".
My question is: can i upload this two pieces of my panorama in two threads or i must to compress it even more and upload as one piece?
Excuse my bad english and thanx for answer :wavey:

BeamUs: "Just to clarify, is the deadline the midnight that the 30th starts or the midnight that ends the 30th?" - as my logic saying, if we have time range - 7 april-30 June, 30 June included in this range, so i think "the midnight that ends the 30th". Just my opinion :lightbulb

Plam7
06-27-2010, 02:00 PM
Could you please tell us the exact date and time for the deadline?
For example: 30th of June 23:59 DPT?

wookadee
06-27-2010, 07:22 PM
I'm also interest in exact date (and time) of deadline.Shall we send, for instance, during the 30th, till what time and by which time zone?Thanks..

wookadee
06-27-2010, 07:53 PM
I'm also interest in exact date (and time) of deadline.Could we send, for instance, during the 30th, till what exact time and by what time zone?

amscime
06-27-2010, 07:58 PM
Also when will the winners be notified and announced?

Lugnegard
06-27-2010, 09:00 PM
I agree that this need to be clearified. The rules says that the deadline is june 30 so we definately should be able to upload up until the end of the 30th. It doesn´t feel good that the rules aren´t clear about this.

"Ballistic Media will make all reasonable efforts to contact winners for a period of 7 calendar days after the completion of Judging."
There nothing written about two phases in judging, like the information Mr Snoswell is sharing on this thread. I thought the winner would be notified within 7 days...why can´t you guys write how it is in the rules, it would be much more convenient to read rules that contain all info straight away.
So, if I make it top 3, I´ll have to wait until Siggraph to know if I´ve won? Can´t you just write that ;) I have no problem with this, I just want to know how this is going to work.

I´ve also understood that you may enter different variations of the same design, or just different angles of the same 3d model, but the rules says:
"All entries should be original and not a derivative of existing work,including works previously entered in this competition..."
This feels abit weird to be honest. I´d love to enter a few images of each proposal, but as I interpretate that rules I can´t do that!?

I love this competition so much, it has been so much fun :) But for now we all need to know exactely when the deadline is ;)

Thanks for an awesome competition,
Mikael Lugnegård

MikeHepburn
06-27-2010, 11:08 PM
Just to clarify, is the deadline the midnight that the 30th starts or the midnight that ends the 30th?

Hi BeamUs,

It will be the midnight that ends on June 30th.

Reactive
06-27-2010, 11:10 PM
What about other questions, Mike?

MikeHepburn
06-27-2010, 11:46 PM
Could you please tell us the exact date and time for the deadline?
For example: 30th of June 23:59 DPT?

The exact ending time will be June 30th, Midnight (UTC-12) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTC%E2%88%9212).

So when the clock hits midnight in the uninhabited islands of Baker Island (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baker_Island) and Howland Island (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howland_Island), time to put down your tools and enjoy the fruits of your labor!

MarkSnoswell
06-28-2010, 02:41 AM
There is no second stage to the competition. We had hoped there hight be -- but it just wasn't to be. This is why the second phase was never officially committed to -- because we weren't sure we could make it happen.

As for announcing winners. We contact the winners as soon as possible... Based on our experience with previous competitions: Judging usually takes a about 3 weeks -- there are a number of rounds and lots of discussion between judges. This can take a few weeks when you have high profile judges with very little spare time... There is no fixed schedule - we just do the judging as quickly as possible...

From experience we know it can take another week or more to reach the winners -- sometimes they are away on holidays or for business and are hard to reach. We make public announcement after the winners have been contacted.

As for the rules and their interpretation. The rules are written concisely to minimize confusion and ambiguity - however the Judges choose to enforce the rules in as friendly a manner as is fair and equatable: The rules are simple so we have the clear right to exclude anyone who tries to gain an unfair advantage by breaking them. The rules are not there to restrict the vast majority of entrants with good intentions...

It turns out that a significant number of artists enter multiple variations of a concept they have created. So far the judges have chosen to view this as not disqualifying that entrant. The rule about not coping already entered work was put in place to cover the situation where an artist deliberately copied some one else's prior entry.

amscime
06-28-2010, 06:50 AM
Being that we are allowed multiple entries, Is it possible to have more than one winning entry from the same person? Like if someone won 2nd with one entry can they also win 4th with another? :shrug:

Lugnegard
06-28-2010, 08:26 AM
Thanks for great reply Mark, that certainly straighten things out :)

MarkSnoswell
06-28-2010, 09:27 AM
Being that we are allowed multiple entries, Is it possible to have more than one winning entry from the same person? Like if someone won 2nd with one entry can they also win 4th with another? :shrug:

It's not impossible -- but it's highly unlikely.

arcebus
06-28-2010, 05:45 PM
Hello there,

I just upped my contribution, My first upload didn't appear (an image called "Isaac"), so I uploaded it again. Now you've got two, cause meanwhile the first also shows up.

Sorry 'bout that, could some kind soul hit one ot them into the bin?

Thanks galore!

Herm

nwiz25
06-29-2010, 08:15 AM
hello ...

is it ok to post the entry link on facebook for friends to see ...?

thank you kindly ..

curaremac
06-29-2010, 01:58 PM
How long does it takes to the server to upload an image and show it in the gallery? I've uploaded my entry about 20 minutes ago and it is not been showed, my guess is the server is crowded but i dont want to double post. thx!

Dejanv
06-29-2010, 02:14 PM
Can someone please help me, I've been trying for the past hour to enter my work in the competition however it says I do not have privileges to post in that forum - NVART accelerate.

curaremac
06-29-2010, 04:25 PM
How long does it takes to the server to upload an image and show it in the gallery? I've uploaded my entry about 20 minutes ago and it is not been showed, my guess is the server is crowded but i dont want to double post. thx!

sorry, I haven't notice that my image wasn't in the correct size :P , now it works! :)

Nazirull
06-29-2010, 04:28 PM
Hi, theres no confirmation msg after uploading the jpg. Ive set all sizes accordingly though. :scream: I'll try n see if a thread appears later on. Thanks!

Dejanv
06-29-2010, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the link, I was able to upload my entry

NovA29R
06-29-2010, 07:45 PM
Can some one tell me. Can i upload my picture 30th june or 29 the last day?
Oops sorry i read previouse posts. tahk you

theluispez
06-29-2010, 08:55 PM
Hi everyone!

For the accelerate event, the deadline for your submission is june 30th included or before that date? thanks!

betito
06-29-2010, 09:38 PM
I wonder why is one of the rules not being applied or respected?, cause I thought one of the rules was ONE image per participant, cause many guys are uploading several images of their same cars, flooding in many cases the ¨challenge forum¨ unnecessarily.

mfmf
06-29-2010, 09:47 PM
For everyone asking what time you can submit until, it has already been answered.

The exact ending time will be June 30th, Midnight (UTC-12) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTC%E2%88%9212).

So when the clock hits midnight in the uninhabited islands of Baker Island (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baker_Island) and Howland Island (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howland_Island), time to put down your tools and enjoy the fruits of your labor!

That means July 1st, 8:00AM EST. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

gureiduson
06-30-2010, 02:08 AM
What time zone the deadline is based?

MikeHepburn
06-30-2010, 02:15 AM

wookadee
06-30-2010, 02:15 AM
check previous posts (last minutes of 30th, by UTC-12)

Nazirull
06-30-2010, 02:51 AM
I had portrait composition (1600x2560) thats why my entry is not posted. Ive fixed it and now i have 2 black bars on the sides instead of top n bottom. lol

jecastej
06-30-2010, 04:25 AM
Hi I submitted my entry about 40 minutes ago and I am still waiting and refreshing the page but nothing. Any hint??

Gaering
06-30-2010, 04:39 AM
Hi there...I can´t post a new thread with my work...what should I do?

jozze
06-30-2010, 08:29 AM
hi,
i´ve been trying to upload my image to this competition and start a new thread several times but the message below always pops up, what should I do to fix this? thank you

"..you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.."

Nazirull
06-30-2010, 10:02 AM
@jecastej - make sure ur jpg is under 2mb and 2560 wide and 1600 high. And agree to the rules (ticking the box) and also fill in image description n title.

In my case I had my image 1600 wide and 2560 high instead (portrait) and it didnt register.

@jozze - Submit ur entry here http://events.cgsociety.org/NVArt/05/submit.php and a thread will automatically be created.

jozze
06-30-2010, 10:46 AM
thanks nazirull

marul
06-30-2010, 11:50 AM
I'm sorry if this has already been addressed before. I've uploaded my image thinking that i wouldn't be able to find the time to make some improvements today but since it's UTC-12 I have plenty of time left tonight. Can I replace (not entering with another version of the same work) my current entry? If it's okay, how can I do that?

Thanks in advance.

yakonusuke
06-30-2010, 12:32 PM
i think the information about the deadline weren't clear enough. I expected to be able work this entire day ( It's 14:25 h here now) then checked the faqs if there are some specific infos about the time and found out that I'm already over time. Usually the cgchallenges run out later at my place so I thought it will be the same with the NVart challenges.

Maybe you guys could be so gracious and could push the deadline till it's the 30th June 23:59h everywhere on earth. That would be great, as it's quite loose in the announcement.

jozze
06-30-2010, 12:56 PM
Hi again,
I´ve been trying to upload my submission since an hour and a half ago but it doesn´t appear in the thread menu.. I wonder if this is a server problem or if is just my fault..how long does an image take to appear in the page? thank you

nitindesign
06-30-2010, 12:59 PM
I think the deadline is the moment this link turns to July 1st. So lot of time still left unless I have got it all wrong :wavey:

The current time in Baker Island-->

http://www.world-time-zones.org/australasia/baker-island.htm

yakonusuke
06-30-2010, 01:10 PM
Sorry guys, I got it wrong... my bad :D

curaremac
06-30-2010, 03:07 PM
']

Lol , thanks! :)

LoveFest
06-30-2010, 04:33 PM
All you have to do is upload your entry before the deadline of June 30, 2010.
Is the deadline June 29th before Midnight, or June 30th before 12 midnight?

dannydraws
06-30-2010, 05:41 PM
Hello,

Can we get an approximate date when the entries will be judged?

Thanks

jozze
06-30-2010, 06:14 PM
hi,
I´ve been trying to upload my entry several times since 13:30 pm today Wednesday 30th June (Spain GMT+2). Now is 20:10 pm and it has been absolutely impossible to do it yet.
Can i post my entry through this thread? any suggestions?
this is getting annoying..

LoveFest
06-30-2010, 06:43 PM
hi,
I´ve been trying to upload my entry several times since 13:30 pm today Wednesday 30th June (Spain GMT+2). Now is 20:10 pm and it has been absolutely impossible to do it yet.
Can i post my entry through this thread? any suggestions?
this is getting annoying..
It may be too late. The wording seems to strongly imply that you had to turn it in before the 30th, ie, the 29th.

jozze
06-30-2010, 06:55 PM
yeah I know, thats what I have been doing, uploading my entry on 30th in Spain, which is still 29th in Baker Island.

LoveFest
06-30-2010, 07:49 PM
']I think the deadline is the moment this link turns to July 1st. So lot of time still left unless I have got it all wrong :wavey:

The page says, "before the 30th", not the 1st. If it's before June 30th, midnight Baker Island time, then I've still got time. But I think it's too late.

Kallikrates
06-30-2010, 08:26 PM
Hi Fellow!

I can't open my thread as well. I have been tried make it last hour but without results.

Has someone opened new thread at last hour?

Cheers!

HOZZ
06-30-2010, 09:33 PM
hey guys,
i have the same problem here .. am tryin to submit my work , the size is correct and its 1.8m so i dont know whats the problem .. it doest say anything , it just bring me the page again as nothing happen so i upload again and the same thing happen again !! how do you that it was submitted succesfully?!!?!

hris
06-30-2010, 09:38 PM
Hello! I found some other competition (which is actually extended to 7 july) and i want to use one of the my models of car which i preapred for THIS competition and i uploaded them as my entries.
Is it possible or rather i should not to use any model from this competition?

Hris

nitindesign
06-30-2010, 10:18 PM
The page says, "before the 30th", not the 1st. If it's before June 30th, midnight Baker Island time, then I've still got time. But I think it's too late.

I just submitted my image without any problem.

jtrillo
06-30-2010, 10:47 PM
Hello,
According to the published rules it says we should send images "prior june 30th". I assume that means before pm 11:59 min 59 sec (23:59 59) of june 29. The thing is that the rules don't mention the time zone.

As Mike Hepburn says, I can submit before 11:59 pm june 30th, midnight. Now the question is We have to send before the midnight between 29th and 30th or midnight between 30th and 1st?. The Baker Isalnd time zone Is clear enough but the "midnight" thing is not and it is not in the rules.

I sent my image at 8:30 pm (baker island time) on june 29th, but the text at the bottom of the image says "submitted june 30th" I guess because this was 6:00 am in my time zone(argentina). My image is now live and kicking in the view all entries section but I am not sure if the submision date is OK to be elegible.

So the big question is: Am I in or out?

Thanks a lot for this opportunity and good luck to everyone.

ICD
06-30-2010, 11:59 PM
Well, i understand that June 30'th till 24:00 of it.Otherwise I also worked for nothing, as I prepare to submit now, also. Could sent yesterday but wanted to add some stuff so, you know how it is. Hope I didn't got it wrong...did I ?.well hope not.....or else I'll pull half of my hair now ! :)

LoveFest
07-01-2010, 12:16 AM
Hello,
According to the published rules it says we should send images "prior june 30th". I assume that means before pm 11:59 min 59 sec (23:59 59) of june 29. The thing is that the rules don't mention the time zone.

As Mike Hepburn says, I can submit before 11:59 pm june 30th, midnight. Now the question is We have to send before the midnight between 29th and 30th or midnight between 30th and 1st?. The Baker Isalnd time zone Is clear enough but the "midnight" thing is not and it is not in the rules.

I sent my image at 8:30 pm (baker island time) on june 29th, but the text at the bottom of the image says "submitted june 30th" I guess because this was 6:00 am in my time zone(argentina). My image is now live and kicking in the view all entries section but I am not sure if the submision date is OK to be elegible.

So the big question is: Am I in or out?

Thanks a lot for this opportunity and good luck to everyone.
Yeah...there's definitely confusion over this.

pangahas112483
07-01-2010, 03:23 AM
I can't post a new thread to submit my entry since yesterday, help anyone please? Guess its too late for me coz its past the deadline already..Help..The message hat I get is that the admiistrator might have disabled the account something like that..

MikeHepburn
07-01-2010, 04:04 AM
Hi all,

Still a few hours left to upload.

Remember to submit using this page... http://events.cgsociety.org/NVArt/05/submit.php

ICD
07-01-2010, 04:09 AM
That's good. I'm fighting the machine to render and probably others do the same :).

Naeem
07-01-2010, 04:28 AM
hi admins,
I was wondering what the approximate date was to get the results for the competition? I couldn't find anything about it.
Thanks in advance!

arcebus
07-01-2010, 04:44 AM
hi admins,
I was wondering what the approximate date was to get the results for the competition? I couldn't find anything about it.
Thanks in advance!

Three to four weeks, as mentioned somewhere above in this thread.

Naeem
07-01-2010, 07:39 AM
Thanks Arcebus :).

semibuddha
07-01-2010, 12:01 PM
I have sent in before "Time in Baker Island" around 11.50pm, but the time stamp of my artwork says 1st July. :( Good Job everyone.

jsgknight
07-01-2010, 03:34 PM
Hi Mike,

May I make a suggestion for future CG Challenges to avoid all the questions and confusion about the deadline, maybe it would be a good idea to add a countdown timer to the submission page for all those that have a hard time with time zones? Just a thought! Anyway, keep up the good work!
:thumbsup:

ICD
07-01-2010, 03:36 PM
Good idea, Genius :arteest:.

LoveFest
07-01-2010, 04:47 PM
Second the motion! :thumbsup:

creativeboytv
07-01-2010, 06:10 PM
I seem to have double posted the same entry......how can I delete the duplicate entry?
Cheers
Mike

PhilipeaNguyen
07-01-2010, 06:27 PM
I might as well ask...Is there any possibility of an extension/grace period? (2-3 days?) particularly for 3D artists? I know it was a long competition period, but I also know that even if the answer is no I'm still in the same position that I'm in now anyway.

bigmikey
07-01-2010, 06:44 PM
So, are we free to post our entries elsewhere now, or do we need to wait until judging is over?

ICD
07-01-2010, 06:52 PM
I also have unfinished designs. An extension will be fantastic.
It was a lot of time, but being a contest, people work between other projects so it happens that sometimes you got no time to do or finish those details you want. And you have to live with it, happily ever after :banghead: .

curaremac
07-01-2010, 09:19 PM
So, are we free to post our entries elsewhere now, or do we need to wait until judging is over?

I would also want to know this, thx

buster1951
07-02-2010, 02:31 AM
"Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamUs

Hi BeamUs,

It will be the midnight that ends on June 30th."

After reading all the posts and still seeing new entries being submitted, there still seams to be some confusion about this. I submitted my entry about 7:30 PM EST (East Coast, US) June 30. My entry has "submitted June 30" on the bottom. Does that mean we are OK? Sorry I'm not understanding this.
Thanks!

Syndicate
07-02-2010, 03:38 AM
My entry shows 1st July on the bottom, but I submitted it at 11:45pm June 30 according to this link, which was my countdown timer.

I'm in Australia so I needed to use the timer :)

Hope this helps.

Stormgetto
07-02-2010, 10:53 AM
Hei Syndicate, I was using this one
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/
And seems have 1 day difference on website your mentioned.

MikeHepburn
07-02-2010, 11:29 AM
My entry shows 1st July on the bottom, but I submitted it at 11:45pm June 30 according to this link, which was my countdown timer.

I'm in Australia so I needed to use the timer :)

Hope this helps.

Hi all,

It doesn't matter if the datestamp on your entry shows anything beyond June 30th, because of this whacky, crazy big world of ours, and it's mad time zones, if it was submitted before the close of business (ie, you can see it in submitted forum), it is part of the competition! And I must say... WOW! There is a lot of awesome art!!!

As for a timer: grand idea, I will try to make it happen in future.

Thank you so much, you wonderfully talented people!!!