PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to automate AE to update data from a website?

morimitsu
04-06-2010, 08:22 PM
I have an animation of weather forecast, with one background and 20 cities (20 layers).
I dīlike to know if it could be possible to automate the proccess of selecting the right animated file (sun, rain, cloud, etc) from the website, as well as the high and low temperature for each city.

This would not only save a lot of time every day and could prevent any typing mistake.

I have Apple Motion as well. Could it be possible to do it in Motion?

Thanks for any help!

Cerium
04-08-2010, 05:07 PM
Make each cities weather be a generic file, then write a script to replace those files based on the website.

So, the box with weather for South Hampton might be a file named "South_Hampton_Weather.png".

When the script runs it will copy the correct weather file from an other folder into the project folder changing its name from specific (cloudy) to generic (city_weather.ending).

Data flow: Website --> UpdateWeather.php --> AfterEffects

I would write UpdateWeather in php since I used to do a lot of web development. Of course it can be written in anything (as long as its not too hard to pull the text from a website or move files around, Python would work great).

UpdateWeather Program Flow:

1- Pull text from website.
2- Parse text to get requested strings.
3- Update city_weather files by copying them from the common repository.
4- Update temperature by same method, or generate temperature images as you go.

CGTalk Moderation
04-08-2010, 05:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.