PDA

View Full Version : what about Dark and Grunge ?

-=[RoX]=-
09-08-2003, 08:59 PM
i search tutorials.
especially in the style -> Dark Grunge (and photomanipulation)
can you help me ?

thx

klingspor
09-09-2003, 10:29 AM
I was always under the impression that grunge is a certain style of music... am I wrong?

Could you give some specific examples of what you'd like to do?

-=[RoX]=-
09-09-2003, 04:32 PM
i mean the style like the artworks of b-mans page -> www.b-man.dk

klingspor
09-09-2003, 07:04 PM
Oh, you mean that kind of stuff... we call it "trendwhore"-style where I come from :rolleyes:

Anyway, although I can't direct you to an in-depth tutorial, I can tell you what to do in a few steps:
1. Find a lot of "free stock photography" on Google. Find even more photos on Google images. You might want to scan some of your own. When done, find yet more images. Grab whatever you can get. Hint: Windows comes with some great wallpapers, too!
2. Layer them all in Photoshop
3. Play with the blend-modes... voilą you made your own "trendwhore"-wallpaper!

Oh yeah, if you're feeling really creative you should slap a witty phrase on there, too...

All in all, it shouldn't take longer than 10 minutes, depending on the quality and amount of stock photos... :p

-=[RoX]=-
09-09-2003, 08:31 PM
lol
i don't think that this is so easy....
i'm a beginner, but i didn't work in a so easy way?
do you understand me? (sorry for my bad english)

chach
09-09-2003, 10:22 PM
...and each new layer you put down change to burn mode. then read some sandman.

-=[RoX]=-
09-09-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by chach
...and each new layer you put down change to burn mode. then read some sandman.
hehe
you're funny.

jugalo180
09-14-2003, 09:13 PM
i'm learning alot today. trendwhore. i heard that once before and wondered what it meant. it's funny because when he mentioned grunge i automatically envisioned ( dark, gloomy, grimey). seven and fight club came to mind.

here is another place to get good stock photo's but they are watermarked when you click on the pictures to become enlarged.

photostogo.com

nojobnoodlez
10-12-2003, 09:31 PM
Best place to get free photos is http://stock.d2.hu

I've made some 'grunge' stuff using mostly brushes from nocturna.net and bits and pieces of fonts. it has has some annoyin pop-ups but worth it.

example: http://www.digitalcollective.com/images/portfolio/port-other7-8.jpg

For photo manips, they mostly just use textures (look for pics of metals, rust, wood, rocks, dirt, etc). Maybe set the transparency mode to Multiply and play around with the opacity or use masks to get certain portions visible. Do it a couple times with a couple different textures and it can get good and dirty.

some decent textures at: http://www.imageafter.com

tut: http://www.skinsntemplates.com/dark/tutorials/making_darksideoftheheart.html

theGuest
10-13-2003, 02:08 AM
when he mentioned grunge i automatically envisioned ( dark, gloomy, grimey). seven and fight club came to mind. That's exactly what it is.

"Trendwhore" is something else which has more to do with 3D elements than grunge.

Yukimushu
10-15-2003, 12:52 PM
I love grunge work, but it's very popular now and alot of peices nowerdays are just boring and un-original in my opinion.

Here's my first ever peice of grunge work, i took a photo of a friend and then edited it in photoshop.

Stefan me m8 (http://snake.delvar.com/zero/gallery/steph.jpg)

Kotayus
10-17-2003, 10:52 PM
some stuff (http://www.metafex.net/abstraction/images/)

Grunge mainly is a lot of dirty brush work...and yeah, stocks help...they seem to give the art a very random feel. Experiment with new brush sets and blend modes, you will find a style.

greek_fire
10-18-2003, 03:42 PM
noise, texturizer, & my absolute fave (in afterFX too) adjust brightness & contrast

klingspor
10-18-2003, 05:08 PM
I don't want to start a big discussion here, but this Grunge-style seems to have a rather large following, which, quite frankly, I don't understand...
You see, I've always been taught that art is about creating. Certainly not only about flowers, love & beauty, but simply about creating. After looking at the links posted in this thread, it seems that Grunge-style is more about destroying... often destroying what wasn't there in the first place, no less!

So I'm just genuinely interested... is it some teenage-angst thing that goes away with age or is this more widely appreciated/accepted? Maybe if those of you who like the style could just post your respective ages, we could get an idea?

(22 myself and a big fan of Grunge-music by the way)

greek_fire
10-19-2003, 01:22 AM
im still a little confused about what you guys consider to be "grunge." if its dark gritty grainy goth stuff etc., then im all about it.
if yer talking about the numerous droves of uninspired "graphic artists" who just throw numerous filters & colors over random images & call it a finished piece then im gonna have to agree with steffan here. im not saying those things aren't art, as everyosne has different definitions of the term, but i can tell you that i pay no mind whatsoever to these pieces, forgetting them as soon as i look at them. :thumbsdow
if you have good design sensibilities then you should be able to do something interesting with just about any set of images, that's what makes digital so fascinating for me. therefore i don't knock the use of stock photography or random digital pics, but rather the cheap use of filters & extremely bad masking techniques that create the very obvious impression of, "wow, you did that in PS didn't you? way to milk the distort filter. how long did that take you? 10 minutes or less?"
i know i was guilty of that in my 1st experiences with the program - got my taste when i was 16. now im 21.

Kotayus
10-20-2003, 01:04 AM
Art isnt always about structure. Its not always about "beauty" people do have different definitions of what art is, and i dont think that any art style or approach should be critisized in the least.

"Grunge" art is about making it dirty, it is a buzz term for the style. Art doesnt always have to be bright, and colorful...it can be dark and macabre.

I myself branch out from time to time and do something different but i prefer the way this style looks. I am most comfortable with it and continue to do it, no matter if its common. My work is for me and no one else...so its neiter here nor there if anyone likes it...because this is all for me, and always has been.

So it may not be your cup of tea...thats fine...cause i like coffee...and by the way it has nothing to do with the angst of a teenager i am 21 myself.

dfusion
10-22-2003, 12:48 AM
You can't just look at "Grunge Art" as a Photoshop thing as artists have been painting and sculpting dark, industrialized creations for years. Using the computer is just an extension of this form of art. Yes, it may be easier to portray the Grunge style because of filters and mouse clicks, but it's the Internet that has caused easy exposure for you to see "newbie" artwork. Prior to this, the newbies were in their garage, hut, or somewhere in the village with the same thought process that the next online kid has, only the exposure for you to see it isn't there when it's not the kid online. The Internet has caused a lot of art forms to be "dummied down" because everyone wants to do it and the programs to get there are so easily accessible. Whether it's computer programming, web design, 3D, 2D, running a business, all of life's traditional things seem to come and go in a less appreciated way when exposed online. It's like all respect for the general population of creators is gone. Easy come, easy go.

My point is that so many things are taken for granted online. Living in the U.S. and getting to share art with several Euro people and chatting with them about it is a very cool thing and I cherrish the fact I have this ability! But the Internet is such a commodity like television or cellular phones. Great idea at first, but now it's just annoying most of the time!

I still try to make the best of it though..

-d

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.