PDA

View Full Version : Field Effects on 'Static' Fluids

Vert-Ex
04-06-2010, 05:33 AM
Searched the forums on this and didn't see anything. Have a small problem. Basically I want to fill a container with fluid and then have a stiff breeze slosh it all of place, blowing it to one side of the container and causing all sorts chaos. However, this is to simulate an effect in zero-g and I can't come up with a method for filling the container with fluid that the air/wind field will effect.

If I use a container with no emitter and fill it with fluid based on a center gradient or dynamic grid, the air has no effect on it. If I use an omni emitter it only emits fluid to a radius about 1/10th the actual size of the fluid container, so I can't fill it up. Little lost here. A solution either way would be very much appreciated. Thanks for reading!

nathansims100
04-06-2010, 05:39 AM
If your just trying to fill the container with fluids just put in

setFluidAttr -at "density" -fv 1.0

will fill the container with fluids

nathansims100
04-06-2010, 06:02 AM
also im not sure if you populate all the voxels it will react.

DDelapena
04-07-2010, 04:20 AM
Is this a liquid? smokey/cloudy? or fiery effect? Hard to help if we don't know what kind of feel your looking for..fluids can do a lot of things.

If your looking for water...fluids isn't the way to go. (in my opinion) nParticles or realflow is your best bet.

Vert-Ex
04-07-2010, 05:38 AM
@DDelapena

Going for a cloudy/smokey effect. For instance, a cloud takes a certain shape based on the way the wind is blowing it. I'm trying to achieve this with fields without having to paint a static fluid and 'sculpt' it to the desired shape, because I may wish to animate the effect later.

Unfortunately, I'm a little behind the times (and finances), and am working with Maya Unlimited 2008. So, no nParticles, and I can't really get into plugins/add-ons. I've definitely seen similar effects achieved before on various Youtube videos with my version of Maya without plugins but they must involve fluid emitters with field effects being applied over runtime.

Essentially, what I'm trying to work with is a giant 'blob' of fluid nearly filling the container, with the container being in excess of 100100100 in size. But when I start with an emitter in zero-g it creates a blob of fluid about 4-5 units in diameter. As I said, I'm looking for a solution either way; if there's a way to either paint or set a fluid with a sphere of density and have the wind force blow it away (which didn't work for me) or fill a similar-sized sphere with fluid from an emitter (which also didn't work for me) and then have a wind force act on it, that's what I'm looking for.

@nathansims100

Sorry, I haven't had a chance yet to try your idea. I will get to it as soon as I can and let you know if it does the trick.

nathansims100
04-07-2010, 07:54 AM
Well you can just create a basic volume sphere emitter scaled to the size you want and set the content methods to static and play it and fill the volume with density. Then set the initial state, and last set all the content types back to dynamic. Will give you a solid sphere of fluids which you can slosh around with you fields.

Vert-Ex
04-13-2010, 06:40 AM
Well you can just create a basic volume sphere emitter scaled to the size you want and set the content methods to static and play it and fill the volume with density. Then set the initial state, and last set all the content types back to dynamic. Will give you a solid sphere of fluids which you can slosh around with you fields.

I'm a tad confused by your suggestion. I created a 3d fluid container with an omni emitter and tried scaling the emitter with both the scale tool and manually adjusting its XYZ dimensions and it continues to emit fluids as if it were the same size it was when created.

EDIT: Correction. Your method worked, I just had to add and extra step, and the structure of the scene ends up a little wacky but it does work. I created the fluid container, then added the emitter separately, and was able to scale it. Ran it for 60 frams to get the size I wanted, then set initial state as you said, and all is basically good. Just my wind is very weak but that's a whole othe rissue. Thanks a lot for the help!

CGTalk Moderation
04-13-2010, 06:40 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.