PDA

View Full Version : need Help: sprites not rendering after being instanced or duplicated?

dungbeetle
04-06-2010, 02:15 AM
Hi Guys,
need some advice:

I need to populate a vast area in Maya2009 with trees and shrubs,
quality to somewhat of the frontpage image of this website: www.yard37.co.nz .

I figured that sprite leaves with low-poly trunk and branches would do the trick.
as the camera would be far away.
hence as a test, I've created a "master" tree with Sprite leaves and low poly trunk,
and used it to "Instance(replace)" onto a bunch of particles that I've scattered around the site.

The outcome looks promising in the viewport(I'd have to randomise the scale and rotation later).
but here comes the problem:

As the instanced trees appear in the viewport fine, When I hit render with maya Mentalray's physical sun default settings, only the master tree and the instanced branches(poly) are rendered... the instanced Leaves(sprites) do not seem to render.

I'm wondering if this is a render setting problem, or if it IS a fact that Maya/MR doesnt render sprites that are instanced? ( btw i know sprites only used to render with hardware.but it seems the 'master' tree rendered fine with MR complete with shadows, only thing is the instanced ones that dont render)

-ps: I've also tried duplicating the whole "master" tree group(sprite leaves+poly branches) and manually placing the duplicated tree groups around the scene------Same, the instanced ones dont render out.

Aikiman
04-06-2010, 03:27 AM
The last time I read the help docs, MR didnt render per particle attributes on HW render particles either, so Im not surprised it wont render instance sprites. Why dont you use a tree from PaintFX and instance one that is converted to polys?

dungbeetle
04-06-2010, 04:18 AM
Thanks mate,
I've tried the PaintFX way, instancing the tree to populate the scene:
the scene file would be very small, but when rendering-- MR/maya still takes into consideration of all the "polys" for raytracing and all, which takes much longer to render than if i could use the "sprites" method.

cant seem to find a more "resource" friendly solution to populating a scene with trees tho.
(card-tree trick wont work as the camera angle is more an aerial view.)

Aikiman
04-06-2010, 04:31 AM
Theres a big thread on rendering forests etc using MR proxy objects under the render section, I think would be worth a look if you havn't already seen it.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=87&t=804892&highlight=forests

dungbeetle
04-09-2010, 04:56 AM
Hey Aikiman,
Thanks alot for the tip,
had been reading those forums up and down and learnt quite abit.

I think I've found my solution so far,
make a master tree in paintfx > convert to poly(tryin to keep it lower than 40k poly) > replace into particle instancer and sketch/emit particles over the terrain.

:) Cheers mate!
Osu~

Aikiman
04-09-2010, 05:43 AM
Okay cool, nps ;)

CGTalk Moderation
04-09-2010, 05:43 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.