PDA

View Full Version : vid online to create realistic eye

bobafet1000
04-05-2010, 10:38 PM
I am trying to create a realstic eye from this tutorial. however i cant follow written tutorials
very well i prefer vidoe footage.

does this eye have a six segment sphere and the sphere is cut in half.
There seems to be second sphere in the image which is inside the six segment sphere.
is that correct

http://www.gfxzoom.com/maya/realistic-eye-modeling-for-3d-characters/

if any 1 knows were there is vid online how to create a realistic eye. as iam unble to follow this written tutorial, even though the sphere is very good. shame

Nyro
04-05-2010, 11:58 PM
There is only one sphere; in the screenshot you're currently seeing the smoothed sphere with a control cage overlay. That is: you see the low-poly/nurbs sphere and the smoothed result at the same time.

bobafet1000
04-06-2010, 12:03 AM
cheers niro
im using 3d s max to so ive not heard of some of the terminology is nurms symmetery. same the symmetery modifier in 3ds max.

i reckon need to find out what a control cage is then. which is the control cage as there is a 8 segment sphere. i guess the smaller sphere which seems to have A higher poly count is the control cage.

is that correct as i dont know. and some of the terminology could be different in 3ds maxx,

cheers

Nyro
04-06-2010, 09:45 AM
No. The "Control Cage" is the low resolution sphere, i.e. the larger one. In Max I think it's called a "Turbosmooth" or "Meshsmooth" modifier. When you apply that, the original sphere has a low resolution (here: 8 segments) and the modified geometry has lots of resolution. I believe that in the screenshot, you are seeing the original sphere and the modified smooth version at the same time.

When smoothing, vertex positions are averaged between neighbours, so the resulting smooth geometry has less volume (i.e. size).

bobafet1000
04-06-2010, 01:35 PM
ok so once ive created the segment sphere.

As there is an 8 segment sphere at the beggining of the tutorial . i am unsure what to do next. do i convert the 8 segment sphere to meshsmooth .

Nyro
04-06-2010, 02:01 PM
No. Forget the smoothing for the moment. You can apply it afterwards.

Create a sphere with 8 segments, add some edgeloops where specified (step 3), ignore step 4-9, make sure you have the proportions specified in step 10, duplicate the sphere, hide the original, with the duplicate: flatten the cornea area (where you put the edgeloops), then extrude the innermoste faces inwards, unhide the original, done.

Now you can add a Turbosmooth or whatnot to the two spheres.

bobafet1000
04-06-2010, 05:20 PM
will rephrase the question.

I have attached a jpeg to show wether i have the firstpart correct in the tutorial. On the link
It was a qeustion.but ive changed hope its easier to understand now
cheers

Nyro
04-06-2010, 06:39 PM
Was that a question? :surprised

bobafet1000
04-07-2010, 02:20 PM
ive found this vid tutorial which is what i prefer. now my only problem is the tutorial is created in maya.

so i need too translate the same principles to 3ds max .

1.fisrt he uses a nurbs sphere in maya. What is the equivalent of nurbs sphere in max

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/category/171/Free-Tutorials-All

Nyro
04-07-2010, 02:53 PM
I don't know, I'm a Maya user. The Help file is your friend :)

CGTalk Moderation
04-07-2010, 02:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.