PDA

View Full Version : Toxik and Refraction

kattkieru
04-04-2010, 06:24 PM
Hi folks,

I'm really new to compositing, and I'm attempting to find a solution to faking refraction with a camera-space normal pass from Mental Ray.

Right now, I've got a workable solution through After Effects CS3 using the Normality plugin. It looks surprisingly good, although I reckon it'll need to be done at a higher resolution and then scaled down. But I think I need a few more options on this. I'm assuming that we'll be using some sort of node-based compositing system in the end.

I've opened Toxik a grand total of twice now, and I was hoping someone could point me in the direction I need to fake refractions in it. It's a bit bewildering to navigate. ^_^; I'm thinking that I plug something into the Refraction map in a Reactor composition, but every video I've seen online is of some version of Toxik that's a lot older and tools / workflows don't exactly map. What do these maps look like, and does anyone have any good links to workflow?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree, Toxik-wise? I'm looking into it because on subscription everyone gets a copy, and we're a Maya shop. Oh, and it has to be a normals pass, I wager, and not depth pass-generated refraction because of the shallowness of what's being refracted. (I had a look at ZBornToy and while it'd be good for a number of other effects, I have a feeling solutions like that won't work for my situation.)

I'm sure this is really elementary stuff, but honestly I'm not even sure I'm googling the right keywords. Thanks in advance!

CGTalk Moderation
04-04-2010, 06:24 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.