PDA

View Full Version : how to create waves that collide with sandy beach?

Gloor
04-03-2010, 01:30 PM
Hi,

I was wondering what would be a good way to create an ocean that has waves that collide with sandy beach like in real life. not much but enough to show that the ocean ends and beach starts. So like when waves arrives it pulls back (just like any beach anywhere in the world)

Any ideas for good results?
Thank you

Gloor
04-04-2010, 11:09 AM
No one has idea how ti achieve that? Do I need another pluging or anything? Or is Maya enough?

Gloor
04-04-2010, 11:23 AM
I guess that after searching through google then the technology is still too complicated for this and probably I wouldn't be able to achieve it anyway.

Any idea how to cheat it a bit? or is Maya 2011 going to help with some of the new particles system etc?

SebKaine
04-05-2010, 10:55 AM
well you can check this great article

http://www.imageworks.com/ipax/docs/Siggraph2007SurfsUpCourseNotes.pdf

for the main body of the wave i will go with a modeling and rigging solution. sph solver or tessendorf will not do exactly what you want.

you can code your own deformers tool like SPI , but it's pretty hard.

so for the easy way you can model few nice waves pattern in zbrush. you model 5 key pose then blendshape,
then
+ a nice water shader with different pass (color, reflection, sss, normal, uv ...)
+ you mapped footage on your mesh for the foam
+ particles emission for the water spray
+ ( optionally some water spray done with an sph solver like RF4)

and for the water propagation on the sand a animated map for displacement . with the same shader and foam projection

for the far waves ocean check this tessendorf solution it looks great

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=86&t=859559

i'm not an expert in water sims , but maybe this could help

cheers

sk

Gloor
04-05-2010, 03:10 PM
Thank you. I'll check it out.

The toolkit is for windows only so no luck there :)

it looks far more complicated than I thought it would be so I've found a workaround that works for me.

Thank you for the help. I appreciate it.

CGTalk Moderation
04-05-2010, 03:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.