PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Switalski's RENDERING / SHADING / LIGHTING Demoreel 2010

keraj37
04-02-2010, 03:01 PM
Hi folks!

Here is my first demoreel I made. It shows my skills on rendering, shading and ligthing - also modeling and texturing - a little becouse some of the models werent modeled by me but evry textured by me. I am available for work now:)

And I have to mention that there was only one image published in 3D World Mag - the first one apearing after the sign - the rest wasnt. My mistake, sorry:)

here is the youtube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt5jMJadlpg

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/1777/demotitle.jpg

cheers

Destrega
04-02-2010, 04:01 PM
It is strange, the level of quality varies very much from incredible bad to quite ok...Don't know from which time range you chose your works. The animations at the beginning really belongs to the worst I have seen so far regarding all aspects, keyframing, camera movement, etc. I would really recommend you to take it out of your reel. If you only did the lighting and shading then it is fine, it looked good enough to leave it then. But if you animate that....really, don't be offended - but you do yourself a favour when you take them out, it is completely rubbish and one can really see that this is your weakpoint. ( I still hope you did not animate that;) ) Besides I think you ruin your reel with such an impressive orchestra piece which is well known of course. When I watched that reel I started laughing because it made the impression that you want to express the message, that your skills are so cool that you need that big orchestra to pronounce your awesomness. - Really dont do this if you want to apply for a job with this reel. You can only do such things when your reel starts with a Blizzard logo for example if you know what I mean. Besides, mostly reels are regarded without sound, so if you wanna combine it with music, choose a very subtle and chilling music, nothing so big.
The stills at the end are quite ok - simple but solid works. But one can see clearly that you try to be good in all aspects of the 3d industry which results in having lacks of quality in every specific area. I like your architectural pieces the most, you should concentrate on that in my opinion.
So please dont get me wrong that I want to make you down or so, I really think you need a serious critic if you wanna aplly for a job with this, so I tell you what I think as a 3d artist. Most shots are ok, it is not a bad reel, the length is also good.
So good luck for you;)

Regards,
Erasmus

keraj37
04-02-2010, 04:08 PM
LOL thanks for such a big comment:)

Unfortunetly I was the animator... but the reel is going to show not animating skills as u know already.

I have chosen this music becouse I love it - nothing special:)

cheers

ivanisavich
04-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Hey,

Just going to be blunt here:

Everything before the 1:00 mark is really bad. Really awful and distracting camera work, shots way too long (especially shot1), really poor animation, etc....and overall just not things you want to have on a reel. Very amateurish.

However, almost everything past the 1:00 mark looks great! Very nice shading/lighting on all of the images (well, maybe the last couple of images can be taken out...they're not quite up to the quality of the others).

So overall I agree with the other poster about the contrast between good and bad work. It's almost like a totally different person made all the shots up til the 1:00 mark.

As a final comment, I think the music needs to be changed too. It doesn't really suit any of the work right now. Maybe if your reel featured a giant battlescene or something it would make more sense...but right now it's a bit irritating.

keraj37
04-02-2010, 06:22 PM
Hehe thanks man, I love when people are honest with me so your blunt is ok for me. The music is changed (some blues song now).

But I cant remove animations, I know thay are amaturish becouse I am amaturish animator:/

cheers

bkreut
04-02-2010, 06:59 PM
Why can't you remove the animations? I know you may have invested a lot of time into them, or you really like the clouds or something similar, but to open up with that scene is very very damaging to the reel. I watched it 3 times, and it was very hard to see anything but the bad camera work and dragon simply suspended in air floating with no life. Of all the shots in the first minute, if you can only bare to take out one piece, absolutely make it that one.

As for everything else, I agree with the others, past the 1:00 mark, it's quite dramatic the change. Place that best stuff right up front! I nearly didn't make it to the 1 minute mark because I was about to turn it off (glad I didn't though! great stills in there!). If you absolutely, contractually, must have those pieces in, at least put them near the end. I also agree that the last two still shots are the weakest, so maybe switch the last shot to one of the earlier ones if you don't feel like taking them out to kind of sandwich them in (start big, end big). The zoom in effect is a little bit much as well on some of the shots. Let the view see the pic for a second before you start the zoom in. It will at least give a chance to pause it if they really want to.

Overall though, that mid part is fantastic so focus on that! :)

keraj37
04-02-2010, 07:02 PM
Thanks Bob:) I will try to make new one reel and post it soon, U persueded me and other posters:) thank u for your time cheers:)

kiittea
04-02-2010, 11:54 PM
I was glad to read your last post, which said that you will make a new reel. You know what the guys said, is absolutely true.
If I was an employer and I saw your reel, I would have definitely taken off the reel after watching first 10 secs. Believe me .. the first few seconds are the most important part of reel... So put your best.. only the best..
I doesn't matter even if your reel is small in length. But don't put the worst stuff and tell them that ... Ya I know it is bad, coz I am not a good animator..Just show what you are good at.
Hope that helps you.
Good luck for your reel

CGTalk Moderation
04-02-2010, 11:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.