PDA

View Full Version : MEET MELINE : The 3D Animated Short Film is now Online ! :o)

ssebastienn
04-01-2010, 08:16 PM
Hello Everyone!

This is it! It’s time to Meet Meline! :o)

http://www.meetmeline.com/cgtalk/poster_1.jpg (http://www.vimeo.com/10471831)

After 2 years of work, Virginie GOYONS and Sebastien LABAN are proud to release their 3D Animated Short Film : MEET MELINE!
MEET MELINE - THE SHORT FILM : http://www.vimeo.com/10471831 (or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1vdZIIrY6w)

Also, for you curious people, there is a 12-minutes featurette with behind-the-scenes footage, interviews, talks about the story, the characters and the environments, shot breakdowns and much more: the Art of making Meet Meline !
MEET MELINE – THE MAKING OF : http://www.vimeo.com/7708580

A big thank to Cedric DENOOZ (and his team), and Guillaume ROUSSEL who were respectively the Sound Designer and the Composer of "Meet Meline"! They’ve done a really great work! So thanks for your time and effort you two!

Virginie and I never thought we could go all the way! This has been such an incredible journey from the beginning to this point! :o)
So we would like to thank you all who got interested in our little project! Many thanks for your support that had a great influence on us!

We really hope that you’ll like it! :)
Don't Hesitate to leave a comment and share our experience with your friends! :o)
We've also started a thread on CGTALK since the very begining. You can see all the post over the past 3 years over here : http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=43&t=400888

Thanks ! :o)

http://www.meetmeline.com/cgtalk/poster_2.jpg (http://www.vimeo.com/10471831)

Cheers everyone! :o)
Virginie and Sebastien LABAN
http://www.meetmeline.com (http://www.meetmeline.com/)

ragdoll
04-02-2010, 03:44 AM
incredible work! so bloomy and fluffy. a bit too much camera shake but i still like it! front page worthy! :thumbsup:

lipuster
04-02-2010, 06:01 AM
wow!!i have waited long for this one to come online. amazing wrk sebastien.meline is one of the cutest cg girls ive seen.and the score is fantastic.hope it goes places.all the best

HyMz
04-02-2010, 08:49 AM
Absolutely stunning, the mood is just beautiful.
The secondary animations are fantastic and really brings everything to life.

The two of you should be proud as hell. Fantastic work

mvshabeer
04-02-2010, 08:52 AM
Since you told you will release it on April 1, Yesterday I was looking on your site the whole day to see this movie.
Incredible

Imaver
04-02-2010, 12:48 PM
Amazing work - I am really impressed :applause:

wesleywonder
04-02-2010, 01:28 PM
:bounce: :bounce:
First, to comment over all... It was "amazing", specially creating something fantasy is the hard part and un imaginable characters are born in our creativity. In that case you have mastered it. Because i compared ths movie with AVATAR after seeing it. Because AVATAR is completely unimaginable with stunning creativity. So the credit goes to you and Virginie for good thinking on cuteness in character.

Second, I loved the cinematography style. i think you have experimented on it a lot form "Running away" The cinematography just made me feel i was there opposite and around Meline. Specifically, Mirror reflection shot of chain falling down, under the car shot, Vertical top shot in the last sequence.

The beautifully begun movie moved to a thriller feel. Experimenting with lights. And the pause in SOUND at that moment was perfect.

Some suggestions: The movie had a "bloom effect" But for some scenes it was too bloomy in lights. At some places Meline's hair did not fall out when she bent forward. I was noticeable when it was a mid shot.Finally, when i saw the movie for first time my concentration was on Story and editing. Second time it was on Meline's cuteness and surroundings. When noticing it i could see some textures had higher bump value, which popped out in walls. My 3rd time was for the sound. - Please convey the message to Cedric Denooz and Guillaume Roussel "the sound was simply superb. it conveyed a cute feel". The final end could have shown the cute mousy characters and their family.. it was like " Oh, i wish could see them" may be you have thought them for the next short "Meet mousy" lol... just kidding..

All the best, Sebastien and Virginie :love:

Loolarge
04-02-2010, 01:44 PM
Very slick! Does not leave much to nitpick on ;)

MiGa
04-03-2010, 11:20 AM
very nice work! Was following the WIP thread and its nice to see the final film now. I really like the huge amount of detail you put in the scenes, the general lighting and the camera perspectives! Hopefully you will work on another film with so much work in progress information. Its really inspiring

jschieck
04-03-2010, 10:14 PM
very nice!

WeezTheJuice
04-04-2010, 04:16 AM
Great work - I enjoyed watching the making of as well.

aistee
04-04-2010, 01:56 PM
omg I love it! Been watching the making of and the film last night and wished I could do something wonderful. Thank you for sharing this with us :)

Silverwing
04-04-2010, 09:37 PM
Wow this just looks amazing. Great work.
Really really great visual style. Phantastic colors and beautyful lighting and textures. The look and cinematography is just amazing too. Would love to see some extended making of!

I´m overwhelmt of all the detail thats going on in there. Especially animation whise. Thank you so much for sharing this... Amazing work!

One very small critique at the end... Imo the story isn´t quite as brilliant as the look of the short. But still very nice to watch!

Cheers Silverwing

EDIT:
This should definitely be frontpage!

ssebastienn
04-09-2010, 08:29 AM
Woaw! so many wonderful comment! :-D
I'm really glad you guys enjoyed it! From Virginie and I, we want to thank you all very much! :o)
So far, in less than a week, "Meet Meline" has been watched more that 75000 times! ... Yes, we're happy! :)

:: ragdoll ::
Thanks RJ! I hope you are right! :)

:: lipuster ::
Glad you enjoyed after such a long wait! :o)
Thanks Rakesh!

:: HyMz ::
We put a lot of effort in these secondary animations. We wanted to have Meline interact with her world! It creates a lots of life in the world ! :o)
Happy you enjoyed the film ! :)

:: mvshabeer ::
Hehe, No it wasn't a joke for the 1st of April! Thanks Shabeer :p

:: lmaver ::
Thanks Victor! :o)

:: wesleywonder ::
Thanks Wesley for you indepth review! I'll foreward to Virginie, Cédric and Guillaume! I'm sure thay'll love it! :o)
Thanks for you time watching and writing about "Meet Meline"! :)

:: Loolarge ::
Tthanks ivo! :o)

:: MiGa ::
We'll see :)
Thanks Michael!

:: jschieck ::
Thanks Jacob! :)

:: WeezTheJuice ::
thanks Eric! Glad you enjoyed the Making Of as well! We had so much fun creating it! :o)

:: aistee ::
Thanks M! :o)
I hope you'll get to work on a project like this! We learn so much with "Meet Meline"! :)

:: Silverwing ::
Thanks Raphael! You'r right! For the story, we wanted to tell a very simple story. It's not "Schindler's List", but we try to tell it as much as possible :o)
Maybe the next film?

See you very soon everyone! :)
Thanks! :p

Cheers everyone! :o)
Virginie and Sebastien LABAN
http://www.meetmeline.com (http://www.meetmeline.com/)

tuknoy
04-09-2010, 10:08 AM
My my, this did so many things right! So cool and cute.. the storytelling's spot on, animation, art and technicals... This is a bit overwhelming, considering this is not a commercial project.

Congratulations for this :)

StephanRODRIGUEZ
04-09-2010, 04:01 PM
Hi, I had a great time watching it, so much work done on this wonderful short whit so few people , you really deserve our admiration.
I also wanted to thank you for the very instructive making of, and for inspiring all of us.

(Hopefully my short is still in progress, so I won't suffer any comparison with your awesome piece of artwork :bowdown: )

See ya

Stéphan

ralphem
04-09-2010, 11:25 PM
A wonderful, lyrical and breathtaking film! You must be very, very proud -- it is of highest quality in all respects. I especially appreciated your "making of" film -- it helped me appreciate all the tremendous effort that went into the final cut (when you see only the completed film, it is so well done, it looks clean and simple -- but it was 2 years of hard work, state-of-the-art creativity, and tons of talent). Thank you for sharing your art with the world -- Bravo!

...and encore!

Lambchopo
04-10-2010, 12:13 AM
Very cool! I watched both, the short film and making of and I'd have to say, very impressive and inspiring especially doing this on your spare time.

leigh
04-13-2010, 11:40 AM
Magnifique! This is an absolutely stunning effort from you two, it never ceases to impress me when I see such a phenomenal effort from people who have the dedication to create work like this. I really like your animation and camera movement style, and the overall art direction is gorgeous. Congratulations to you both for this incredible artistic achievement, and I hope that plugging this on the front page won't cause problems with your file hosting.

Noren
04-13-2010, 12:24 PM
The quality you achieved with this is really, really impressive. :)
I liked almost everything about it, starting from the brilliant opening shot, so I'll mention the few things I didn't like. ;)
I'm not a big fan of too obvious color grading, so in some shots less would have been more, in my opinion. And I didn't like the threatening atmosphere that you tried to create right before the discovery in the end. That was a bit too much for such a short movie and also following all too well known storytelling-patterns. Again a bit less would have been better perhaps.
But anyways its a gorgeous movie and an outstanding effort. :)

karko
04-13-2010, 12:29 PM
Awesome work!
With a long exciting and exelent preparation on the wip!
Bravo, bravissimo!!!

scrimski
04-13-2010, 01:09 PM
Nice Making of too.

imashination
04-13-2010, 04:20 PM
Excellent in every single way, well done on not skimping on the audio too, thats all too often overlooked :)

Stinkfist
04-13-2010, 04:24 PM
It looks amazing, but I found the pantyshots rather disturbing. And Im not the only one, so I think you might want to prepare for a cold shower once the news hits the media. Im not attacking the film, Im just saying some people might be offended.

Remi
04-13-2010, 04:24 PM
The wait was worth it, great short S&V!!! Thanks for continuing to work on it and getting it done, I love it!!!

superhooman
04-13-2010, 05:08 PM
Incredible work! its amazing that this was done by two people, and very inspiring! congratulations to you for this accomplishment :applause:

cupojo
04-13-2010, 05:11 PM
as always Laban...great work!

tonytouch
04-13-2010, 05:20 PM
fabulous !

it's become very lovely :cool:

noizFACTORY
04-13-2010, 06:09 PM
Phenomenal Sebastien and Virginie! I'd been keeping an eye on your wip thread all this time and all of your amazing hard work and talent has finally paid off!

I just love the way you've handled the camera in this. You've created great mood and atmosphere in this short and given the fact that you guys were mostly developing the story organically, really amazing execution! The climax is absolutely lovable and goose-bump inducing.

Kudos and a big big thumbsup to both of you and everyone else involved. Truly inspiring :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

-Sachin

Lukavi
04-13-2010, 06:18 PM
Great work! Ive been following this for a looooong time so its great to see it all put together.

JoshKirk
04-13-2010, 06:23 PM
glad to have finally seen this! awesome!

PhuongDPh
04-13-2010, 06:57 PM
I watched it
great work, cool story, keep it up

shadermonkey
04-14-2010, 02:57 AM
truly an amazing journey! well worth all of your time. Great story and so visually pleasant. Can't wait to see your next contribution to the cg community :)

Brettzies
04-14-2010, 05:29 AM
I luv everything about this project. I luv the wips, I luv the lighitng, I luv the animation, I luv the dynamics, I luv the behind the scenes. Just really beautiful and inspiring work to me. I'm surprised it flew under the radar(front page) for so long. Weren't there like three threads on different sections about it?

AlexCo
04-14-2010, 08:25 AM
I`ve seen the W.I.P. from the beginning to the end.. jaw dropping result, very inspiring!

I wish you all the best!

annkos
04-14-2010, 09:37 AM
Amazing work!!! Your passion and patient are so remarkable!! It seems that you put a lot of love into this short!! I hope to start prepare the next!! Congrats!!

Ps: You are very talented in photography too!

ptiZZa
04-14-2010, 09:51 AM
guys, gratz on finishing it ! fantastic job done for sure, imho too much bloom, as mentioned above, and i really must say i didnt like the animations on a little girl at all. everything happens with some kinda latency, that destroys whole dynamic and made me want to skip watching it till the end, despite the fact that the picture itself is really nice.

WyattHarris
04-14-2010, 05:19 PM
A supreme effort, you guys should be proud of this accomplishment. It hits high marks in every regard, story, color and the many many small details that complete the environment. The music is a great accomplishment.

I've been following the progress of this short for a while now and my daughter will be so glad to see the whole thing completed.

Whirlwind123
04-14-2010, 05:38 PM
I bet now its finished you guys are really going to miss her like your kid growing up and moving out. Really nice work.

BUZZFX
04-14-2010, 06:46 PM
Congratulations on this movie. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The camera work and soundtrack was spot on. The girl was very cute. The scenery and lighting was amazing :thumbsup: . I can't imagine how much time that would have taken to model and texture. One thing that bothered me was the amount of "Bloom" Too much IMO, which made the movie very blurry, and hard to watch at times. Also the story was good but I think there was too much time spent on searching for the critter and not enough on the ending. Not complaining though. It was excellent!

A beautiful movie though and one to be proud of. :)

pg

TechDir09
04-15-2010, 02:43 PM
Five Stars......I have waited for this for a long time...You guys are really awesome...Nice story....:bowdown: :thumbsup:

subaruwrx
04-16-2010, 05:55 PM
Andrew Kramer featured your short on his blog. Excellent work.

mister3d
04-17-2010, 04:17 AM
Congratulations on finishing this wonderful work. I imagine the ton of work put there, must be years. I watched your WIP thread, very inspiring. It's one of those shorts which look like it was done by a studio like Pixar or Blur, the level of quality is impressive.

gauranga108
05-16-2010, 05:11 AM
Thank you for posting this great movie. It's inspiring on many levels.

Was wondering if you could give me some advice on how to manage a project like this?

Is there a managing software you used?

Thanks

CGTalk Moderation
05-16-2010, 05:11 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.