PDA

View Full Version : Using parent -add -shape cmd

Stellios
04-01-2010, 12:43 AM
Do people use this when adding animation controls to their joints? If so, how does one return to a zeroed out position?

Thanks!

Polimeno
04-01-2010, 01:01 PM
what do you mean by 'return to a zeroed out position' ?

did you try to do the parent -add with your <curve>Shape at world´s origin ([0,0,0]) ?

Stellios
04-01-2010, 06:57 PM
what do you mean by 'return to a zeroed out position' ?

did you try to do the parent -add with your <curve>Shape at world´s origin ([0,0,0]) ?

i mean adding a nurbs circle as a shape node to a maya joint in order to manipulate it
therefore you animate the joints, and since maya bone length is dependant on its translate, it cant befrozen. Yet ive seen jason schielfer use this technique for his fk arm controls.

yeah i create it at the origin but that doesnt matter because the joint is the transform node, the nurbs circle simply becomes the shape.

gonzalimator
04-02-2010, 12:29 AM
...but all of the rotate values should be zero when you set up your skeleton, right? Jason Schleifer used them for his FK arms which works because the rotate channels are zero. Do you intend to translate your joints?

Stellios
04-02-2010, 02:02 AM
...but all of the rotate values should be zero when you set up your skeleton, right? Jason Schleifer used them for his FK arms which works because the rotate channels are zero. Do you intend to translate your joints?

yes, also his IK controls have world space transforms as well... im confused,

gonzalimator
04-02-2010, 08:57 PM
Did you get it straightened out? I can't tell by your last post.

Stellios
04-02-2010, 10:20 PM
Did you get it straightened out? I can't tell by your last post.

well, yes and no. I now know that using the parent shape command disallows you to use the translation channels during animation. However im still not sure why mr scheifer keeps his controls in world space translation. I suppose ill have to email him.

gonzalimator
04-03-2010, 12:43 AM
Just going from memory here... when I watched his DVDs he mentioned that he preferred knowing that his translates were more predictable when they were in world space coordinates. He knew that X Y and Z were predictable directions as well what negative or positive values meant to overall position just by looking at them. Just his preference. I know that while I'm animating I prefer that a control moves to its bind pose when I enter zero values in the channel box. I wouldn't want my IK arm or leg control to jump to the world origin when I zero it out. Just my preference.

M

jschleifer
05-29-2010, 04:23 AM
yep, it's a total preference. I also like to be able to zero stuff out quickly, so I usually create a button that sets things back to a reference or default position.

but it's all up to you. :)

CGTalk Moderation
05-29-2010, 04:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.