PDA

View Full Version : Spinning external disk after eject....

Halford
03-31-2010, 09:46 AM
Hi everyone,

I moved to windows 7 very happily nearly a 6 months ago. Since then I had no issues, but I do have a question.

on all other OSs I used, when I eject a usb Hard Drive it stop spinning aftew few seconds...on my win7 it says it's safe to remove hardware, but I can still feel it spinning in my hand... it does not stop.....

anyone had the same experience?

thanks

Hal.

Srek
03-31-2010, 09:59 AM
Safe to eject only means that the OS has no open connections etc. It does not mean that the drive has been powered down.
Cheers
Björn

imashination
03-31-2010, 04:02 PM
Just yank that sucker. Ive never "safely ejected" any usb device, never had a problem thus far, just do it when the access light isnt flickering. I especially love doing it on macs because they go all emo and popup giant red "whaaa you removed something!" boxes.

olson
03-31-2010, 05:11 PM
Just yank that sucker.

That's not a good idea with a hard disk. I assume its mounted in a removable bay? Most have a key that unlocks the bay and disconnects everything first. Then remove it. If your bay doesn't have that then maybe get a new bay, or remove it 1/4 of the way so its disconnected and let it spin down before removing it completely. Cheers!

EDIT: Just read again that its USB, disconnect it first and let it spin down. Then pick it up.

meleseDESIGN
03-31-2010, 05:50 PM
You can safely remove your external HDD by disconnecting it from your pc - no need to to push buttons.

;)

CGTalk Moderation
03-31-2010, 05:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.