PDA

View Full Version : advice on human head model

retrodevil
03-29-2010, 10:12 PM
Hi, I have been working on a human male head for a little while now and thought i would ask for some critique and advice.

I would like to know your thoughts and any advice on how I am doing and what I can improve.

Thank you very much

John

misterwolfy
03-30-2010, 07:20 AM
Pretty good.

The best advice I could give you, if you are serious about getting good at this, is to know your anatomy inside and out. Drawing topology on top of a photo may help.

Other will probably offer good advice on topology, but you could use a "loop" defining the jaw line.

Dare-o
03-30-2010, 07:47 AM
take a look at this website, it's actually quite helpful:

http://www.phungdinhdung.org/Realistic_face_modeling_by_PhungDinhDzung.htm

my advice would be like what misterwolfy said, you should study your anatomy.

retrodevil
03-30-2010, 06:02 PM
Thank you both for your input.. some very helpful hints there and the anatomy stuff is great.. After looking at those videos and pictures I have made some alterations in the topology. I think this follows proper anatomy a little better now??

What do you think? I have still got to do the ears and mouth that follow this new pattern.

Calabi
03-30-2010, 06:31 PM
I have a question, apologies for butting into the thread, retrodevil, people always say, study anatomy but is it really neccesary?

I agree that it is neccesary to know the skeleton. You can learn alot in just studying a skull to help you form a head. But is it neccesary to know all the muscles, and where they are and how they work.

Could you not just study real faces with skin and the body, dancers perhaps, in differing poses.

Dare-o
03-30-2010, 07:01 PM
I have a question, apologies for butting into the thread, retrodevil, people always say, study anatomy but is it really neccesary?

I agree that it is neccesary to know the skeleton. You can learn alot in just studying a skull to help you form a head. But is it neccesary to know all the muscles, and where they are and how they work.

Could you not just study real faces with skin and the body, dancers perhaps, in differing poses.

Placing the geometry in certain areas are usually what represents the muscles, and knowing what those muscles are and how they operate is helpful, especially if it's going to rigged/animated.

And Calabi, if you were to take some life drawing classes, that's exactly what it is, Maybe not dancers, but people creating unique poses for you to draw, and capture the life on paper.

also try and take a look at some books on sculpture, that will help as well. If i can remember the name of the one I used in my character modeling class ill post it.

retrodevil
03-30-2010, 08:19 PM
thanks for the tips guys... Actually looking at anatomy image and seeing where muscles are while modelling has actually helped... even in the short time i have been looking a them..

I have made some changes to the head, mainly the flow from the mouth to the ears and chin following the jawliine and muscles a little better.. this seems to hae helped.

Still looks a little off though. In the fromt and side views the head looks alright but in perspective it is more obvious it has problems.

Dare-o
03-30-2010, 11:16 PM
Excuse my paint skills :wip:
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/4261/vdfvfdsvfdvdsf1.jpghttp://img526.imageshack.us/img526/7465/csdsfdvdfsvfds2.jpg

misterwolfy
03-31-2010, 03:42 AM

This is an interesting question. I don't think you need to know anatomy in a technical sense, every bone, muscle, and connective tissue, to create very convincing human forms, but you must be very familiar with anatomy, and proportion, to accomplish it. If you want to be a professional modeler specializing in the human form you should know every major bone and muscle.

retrodevil
03-31-2010, 09:36 PM
Thanks for your input Dare-O.. I have made some changes based on your painting and i have now added the ears and neck. I have also started to base the facial features on a character.. I think it looks a little more realistic.

Also could I ask about the Philtrum. That is the first time i have seen that amount of detail. Is that necessary?

Psyk0
03-31-2010, 10:53 PM
Nice progress so far,

You should rework the topology to include the nasolabial fold (that crease that goes from the nostril and around the mouth and chin).

I think you could move the ear down/scale it a bit. The top of the ear should line up with the brow and the lower part should line up with the bottom of the nose. Ears are usually angled towards the back at roughly 15 degrees.

The shape of the lips isnt quite there yet, i think they're a bit too thin, and the corners of the mouth should be pushed inwards.

The structure of the chin and jaw needs some tweaking. I feel the jaw is going back too far, because the ear should start roughly at the midline of the skull.

retrodevil
04-01-2010, 03:44 PM
Thanks Psyk0. I noticed the ear too.. i have fixed that now, it looks better.

About the nasolabial fold. How do you suggest i change that. by actually adding or removing loops or just moving the existing loops. I was looking at your female head study wires and i cant see a difference, except along the top lip. of course i could be just looking at the wrong place or female topology differs slightly? BTW that female head is amazing!

Thanks for your help

Psyk0
04-01-2010, 07:34 PM
The red part is what your mesh is missing, i would suggest adding it.

Since this is a female, i tried to keep the looks soft and didn't go crazy with harsh lines. The meeting of the blue and red loops is what makes the fold, red being the "peak" and blue the "valley". If you make an angry face and "scrunch" your nose as much as you can, you'll see the fold pulls on the side of the nostril, hence the need to have geometry follow its contour and the other one keeping volume in place. Of course this is the topology i came up with, we all have our differences.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/psykopat/lnkz/naso.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
04-01-2010, 07:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.