PDA

View Full Version : Newbie in Lighting

morgan102jd
03-29-2010, 02:48 PM
Hi everyone. I'm Morgan. I just started learning lighting in Maya. I'm posting my first attempt in lighting a scene. So I need opinion to improve my work.

kanooshka
03-30-2010, 12:50 AM
Hi morgan102jd here's a little feedback for you,

Interior: Overall you've done well with this image for a basic lighting setup. There are a few areas that go a little dark. For example the left side of the far windowsill is very dark compared to the wall on the right. In this scene I'd expect it to be nearly the same brightness as the wall screen right. The top of the shade, especially the one closest to the camera, goes nearly black. Try to get some more light bouncing from above onto it. The tops of the window trim seem a little to bright as if there is a lot of light bouncing from underneath. I'd expect the window sill to be brighter than that area.

Window: I'm not entirely sure what's going on in this image. Am I outside looking in or inside looking out? I'm assuming outside looking in because of what looks to be a chair on the inside. The light coming from behind the window is brighter than what's inside of the window. Try to balance that out some more.

Orange: Nice work on this. The shadow directly underneath the orange is very bright. This wouldn't be too bad if the brightness of the orange where it comes in contact with the shadow was similarly bright but I think you're better off just balancing it out by darkening the bright blue spot of the shadow and adding some blue light bouncing up onto the orange.

morgan102jd
03-30-2010, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'll work on it.

CGTalk Moderation
03-30-2010, 09:10 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.