PDA

View Full Version : Fracture Script on Creative Crash

bk3d
03-28-2010, 09:01 PM
I wanted to start a thread on my Fracture Script on Creative Crash to get some input.
http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/marketplace/scripts-plugins/utility-external/misc/c/fracture--2

It is a boolean based fracture/shatter script. The videos shows off what it can do.

My goal is create the best/easiest Fracture/Shatter script available.

efecto
03-29-2010, 12:24 AM
It looks very promising. I haven't used many other shatter tools but I would like to try it out if it doesn't cost..

azshall
03-29-2010, 07:54 PM
nicely done!

bk3d
03-30-2010, 03:12 PM
I have updated the script with my version of Voronoi Fracture.

http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/marketplace/scripts-plugins/utility-external/misc/c/fracture--2

azshall
03-30-2010, 04:14 PM
You're charging $10.00 for this?

ah-fx
03-30-2010, 06:55 PM
hey the script is looking very nice, I have a couple of questions

I like the stream lined, one click fracturing, can you fracture multiple objects?
With the "explode" feature are you using maya's rigid bodies? If so do you plan on implementing other solvers? Currently I favor bullet physics with the dynamica plugin.
Any plans for an interactive demolish system?

If you do continue to develop it (which I hope you do, it is looking great) please keep it macOS friendly :)

tkdmatt
03-30-2010, 07:13 PM
Hey bk3d, liking the script. Had used the previous versions in the past but this one is much better. Just a question though, how do you get such clean fractures, whenever I fracture something I tend to get a lot of overlapping pieces, which can cause a lot of problems with trying to do any dynamics.

Is there a general rule of thumb for clean fractures, the ones you do in the videos are quite nice, but I'm not getting the same result. Also I noticed the settle button has been removed from the explode section.

nfrancisj
03-30-2010, 08:08 PM
it seems that your fracture creation is a lot faster than mine. What kind of machine are you using? Is there a python version?
There also seem to be an issue with the scale ie. meters vs centimeters I get better fractures when using meters as my world scale.

pretty cool tho!

efecto
03-30-2010, 08:15 PM
Just wondering, if I pay for the script do I get the future upgrades for free?

tkdmatt
03-30-2010, 08:18 PM
Just wondering, if I pay for the script do I get the future upgrades for free?
I paid for v3.5 and downloaded v4 this morning. So yeah it seems we do. The script is quite fully featured for the price, I recommend it.

bk3d
03-30-2010, 09:09 PM
To get cleaner fractures you can set the noise down to 0. the less noise applied the less overlap you will get. That is why i put in the preview cutting plane so you can see how much noise and face size before you run the fracture.

bk3d
03-30-2010, 09:11 PM
one way to speed up the fracture is to set the face size higher. Since this is doing a boolean operation, the more faces it has to calculate the slower it is.. I do have a pretty fast machine too. I have an i7 running overclocked at 2.6 ghz.

bk3d
03-30-2010, 09:16 PM
I am not sure how creative crash handles updates. I will ask them if there is a certain time frame that a file can be downloaded. But if you have purchased an older version .. just email the mel script and i will send you an updated version. I can really only do this once because to manage all upgrades will take too much time for me.. that is why i have set the price to be only 10 dollars. BTW Creative Crash does take 45% royalties. So i relaly only get 5.50 per sale.

bk3d
03-30-2010, 09:32 PM
I am still working on the best way to set up simulations. Currently it sets them up as maya dynamics. I dont have any other plugin to work with. The settle button has been removed because i need to re-write it. Any suggestions on setting up dynamics will help.

hkspowers
03-30-2010, 09:40 PM
I am not sure how creative crash handles updates. I will ask them if there is a certain time frame that a file can be downloaded. But if you have purchased an older version .. just email the mel script and i will send you an updated version. I can really only do this once because to manage all upgrades will take too much time for me.. that is why i have set the price to be only 10 dollars. BTW Creative Crash does take 45% royalties. So i relaly only get 5.50 per sale.

If I were you I would take it off of creative crash and just make your own site. Creative crash's navigation is such a pain in the ass, the search feature is terrible, and the site is suuuuper slow. There is no reason you can't sell it off your own site and reap the full profit. If your worried about word getting out I am sure mentioning it on the forums here will suffice.

bk3d
03-30-2010, 10:50 PM
Yes you can fracture multiple objects. It will fracture each object the same number of iterations. If you have 2 objects selected and you have 5 iterations you will end up with 10 pieces.

hey the script is looking very nice, I have a couple of questions

I like the stream lined, one click fracturing, can you fracture multiple objects?
With the "explode" feature are you using maya's rigid bodies? If so do you plan on implementing other solvers? Currently I favor bullet physics with the dynamica plugin.
Any plans for an interactive demolish system?

If you do continue to develop it (which I hope you do, it is looking great) please keep it macOS friendly :)

nfrancisj
03-31-2010, 01:21 AM
helpful speedups. It would be nice to have an option to scale the fractures. What I tend to do is use your script to breakup the objects, then I create a script that will duplicate each piece and scale them down slightly so that the edges are not touching. Then I add dynamics to the scaled version and parent the original to the scaled ones. This speeds up the sim alot. :)

Also...do you know python scripts. I hear its a faster.

tkdmatt
03-31-2010, 03:42 AM
To get cleaner fractures you can set the noise down to 0. the less noise applied the less overlap you will get. That is why i put in the preview cutting plane so you can see how much noise and face size before you run the fracture.
I've been trying this, no noise and large face size, both voronoi and the regular fracture gives me overlapping geo. Not a big deal, as I'm not worried about a little cleanup, but any ideas to avoid problems would be helpful.

For the questions about downloading new versions, I just went to the CC dashboard, and clicked purchases, and clicked the download button.

bk3d
03-31-2010, 04:28 AM
thats odd.. i have really never had that happen.. are you sure its not like a z-buffer issue? Are you trying this on a simple object or complex object.. can you send me the mesh you are fractureing?

tkdmatt
03-31-2010, 04:54 AM
thats odd.. i have really never had that happen.. are you sure its not like a z-buffer issue? Are you trying this on a simple object or complex object.. can you send me the mesh you are fractureing?
It was just on a default sphere.

bk3d
03-31-2010, 02:36 PM
how big is the sphere so i can test it out.

bk3d
03-31-2010, 06:31 PM
I just got back from creative crash about updates. They said once you buy a product that it is unlimited downloads forever. It should show up on your Creative Crash Dashboard. So for $10 it is quite a good deal. I will be adding new functionality and fixes often.

NaughtyNathan
03-31-2010, 10:52 PM
45% royalties!!?!?!?!?!? 45%? wow.. Even Paypal isn't that greedy.. :)

I'm glad I deserted highEnd3D now! :D

bk3d
04-01-2010, 05:52 AM
I have added a checkbox to triangulate meshes. You will get cleaner cuts if the mesh is triangulated.
download the update and see if this helps you.

I've been trying this, no noise and large face size, both voronoi and the regular fracture gives me overlapping geo. Not a big deal, as I'm not worried about a little cleanup, but any ideas to avoid problems would be helpful.

For the questions about downloading new versions, I just went to the CC dashboard, and clicked purchases, and clicked the download button.

KidderD
04-01-2010, 02:15 PM

That is a RIDICCCULOUS royalty fee.
I'm also pissed at them, as they killed the Maya Listserver, and moreso, that they posted they were not killing it, but instead only it is temporarily out of service.. that was about 2 yrs ago.

It's still a good place for scripts, but I would search the Internet, looking for some alternative rather than purchasing anything there.

bk3d
04-05-2010, 10:40 PM
1. Added previews for chip off and spline cut.
2. fixed a grouping issue with Voronoi Fracture. Set create group to be default.
3. Added demo videos with audio.

azshall
04-06-2010, 08:19 PM

yeah thats pretty damn ridiculous.

bk3d
04-07-2010, 09:28 PM
I was just curious on what people think a fair price would be for my fracture script.

Range from $10-$20

azshall
04-07-2010, 09:40 PM
Its hard to say.

I believe everyone should be compensated for their contributions to the community but it seems like there is already a handful of viable solutions that do effectively what yours does. So unless its API driven (faster and more reliable) I don't really see a huge advantage in buying your copy over say Alin Sfectu's or Dave Greenwoods...

To add, ...There is also 3rd party solutions like Fracture, Pulldown-It and Ruin that not only fracture objects but also simulate the rigid bodies..

bk3d
04-12-2010, 05:17 AM
I have added a new video that shows the spline / multi-spline fracture and detach chunk

1. Finished the multi-spline fracture. You can now make a bullet hole style fracture by creating a radial.
2. Updated UI to have a scroll bar
3. Updated locator scale when working in meters
4. Added "force locators" to the voronoi fracture. this way you can edit the locators position for fine tweaking.
5. Added test mesh under the help menu. This will test for open edges and multiple face shells.

thematt
04-12-2010, 07:50 AM
I really like your script and would actually buy it..no need for now but I can defenetly see some good use of it.
A price of 15$ is actually good I think. but better is to move it away from highend do a free one with limited option on highend so people can download it and know about it and then make it 12$ for an adavance one like this one but keep everything for you :D. Just a thought.

bk3d
04-23-2010, 05:36 PM
Fracture 4.5.1 now supports either boolean or poly cut method

bk3d
04-27-2010, 06:03 AM

4.26.2010 (V4.5.5)
1. Seperated Create Radial into a new tab called Pattern
2. Added Create Locators to Create Radial so you can create a radial pattern for Voronoi Fracture when using force locators.
3. Splines and Locators are grouped in Create Radial.
4. Added Path Fracture in the custom Tab (will fracture using voronoi only).

mandark1011
04-30-2010, 08:59 PM
will this script work on a mac (snow leopard) and maya 2011. I noticed that the price has gone up to twenty usd (not a problem) but my boss would need assurance that the upgrades would come for free.

thanks
Looks like a nice solution to getting an object shattered without the reg maya hassles.

bk3d
05-12-2010, 07:08 PM
My Fracture script now will map the faces that have been cut when using the polycut option. If you use the boolean option then it will map the faces from the plane that is booleaned out.

It also now will assign a Red shader to the cut faces in the polycut option. If you use the Boolean option then it will assign it Lambert1.. For some reason maya will crash if i try to assign a shader to a boolean operation.

SGIFreak
05-20-2010, 08:41 AM
it's run with mel scripts, right?

I buy it only when you relase a fast mml plugin for this

CGTalk Moderation
05-20-2010, 08:41 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.