PDA

View Full Version : Trees and polygons, HyperTerrain

Khansc
03-28-2010, 12:15 AM
Hi, I've been trying to increase the number of polygons of trees inside an ecosystem by editing the master object. But it is not working. If I change other properties of the tree, like length, falloff or any other option it works.

Even when I create a single tree, increase the numbers of polygons to the amount I want, save it with another name and create an ecosystem with this new one, it'll display low polygon trees. If I load the saved tree like a single object, it has its original polygon count instead of the high polygon that I saved. Using Vue 8. Anybody has any idea how to solve this? Will I have to create an ecosystem and then place single trees close to the camera and increase the polygons of the ones I want?

Also, I've been experimenting with HyperTerrain, using metablobs, but for more complex forms it doesn't work very well, and a lot of sharp edges appear:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v159/Khansc/4000.jpg

But with a simple, 3 spheres metablob it works beautifully:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v159/Khansc/final.jpg

Any tips? The same displacement map has been used for these two images.

Thanks!

AFalk
03-30-2010, 06:45 PM
In all honesty I've never had an issue like what you described w/the tree models. As for the HyperTerrains =- I personally like the multi-metablob image better. In regards to your question -- I am Thinking that since, as you add spheres or what have you - unless you change the individual component's scales, you'll have a consequently larger overall item which will throw off your displacement scale.

Khansc
03-31-2010, 12:46 AM
The problem with the trees never happened before. With Vue 7 there was no problem. It started with Vue 8. But I will use the scatter option to create the high polygon trees that are close to the camera, that seems to work and it's probably a better idea since there will be less polygons in the scene.

I tried to change the scale several times, but the best result I got was this arch and I'm still not satisfied with it, too many sharp edges. I will use hypertexture with displacement, already tried that and got very good results. But it takes more time to render.

Thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
03-31-2010, 12:46 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.