PDA

View Full Version : anyone use ZB with Wings3d

cTennant
03-26-2010, 10:16 PM
I'm a Maya user who focuses mainly on game character modeling, texturing and compositing. Instead of going with Maya 2011, I'm seeing if its a logical idea to only go with Wings3d, ZBrush + Photoshop CS5.

How does wings's poly tools compare to Maya 2011 poly tools for basic mesh layout? I just don't want to spend another $3k on Maya, seeing as I won't be using the dynamics, rigging, paint FX or Fluid sims for pro reasons. If I can use Wings3d in place of it and just use ZBrush with it, and produce a smooth workflow, I would love to go that rout instead.

cgbeige
03-29-2010, 07:23 PM
I don't think that a free program like that's going to give you the control of Maya, that just has a ton of high-end features (slide edge loops, move edges/verts without moving UVs, etc). If you're looking for a cheap modeller, blender is likely the best option. But modo is cheaper than Maya if you're looking for a kick-ass modeller.

Calabi
03-29-2010, 09:26 PM
Wings3d is a great program and probably perfect for organic things which have a continuous surface. I dont know how the tools compare to mayas but it has alot of really handy ones like create circle from edges, slide edges, loops(also handy selections the others wont have), pretty much all the same tools as the others. And vector operations, meaning you can use any tool in any way, defined in the model, in a quick and easy manner.

The trouble is you can only do box modelling with it. While you can model almost anything in that mode you may find certain things quite hard or impossible, things like clothes, etc.

For a poly by poly modelling Silo 2 is a good cheap alternative. Using that in conjuction with Wings3D, would be perfect alternatives, if your just into modelling.

The only thing they both lack is splines although silo does have a basic implementation.

CGTalk Moderation
03-29-2010, 09:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.