PDA

View Full Version : Duplicate rig

LuisGama
03-26-2010, 11:48 AM
Hi all, im working on an animation of a flower. I'm rigging the flower adding controls etc. My main concern is, after that i need to duplicate the rig into many flowers and animate them all differently. How can i duplicate my initial flower rig? I really have no ideia.

thanks

dragonlair81
03-26-2010, 01:39 PM
you could always save you rig out as a separate file then import your rig as many times as you need. I would think that as long as you don't have any name sensitive scripts or what not that it should be fine. You probably could also reference in the file instead of importing it.

Darksuit
03-26-2010, 02:36 PM
tradionally I would save the rig out as a separate file then import via referencing. but you can also instance the rig via dynamics depending on what you wanted to do with it. If you were looking at having a number of said flowers doing slightly different animations, I might go with instancing via dynamics. It's a flavor of crowd control.

If you simply import the rig into the scene you are going to run into issues with duplicate naming. You can import with a namespace, but it can be much cleaner to import via referencing. You can create a box and reference in the box first for placement then go through and swap the references out with your flower, or if you have multiple flower rigs saved out with different animations on each saved file, you can simply change the references. Then if you need to modify the animation on a given animation you change the orginal reference file, instead of attmepting to change one flower in one scene that might be slow and more time consuming.

LuisGama
03-26-2010, 03:10 PM
Thank you all for replying, pheww i was starting to get scared. :) So after what you said i might save my rig to a file, then duplicate and rename that file 3 or 4 times, change the animation on each file, create a main scene file and create place holders that go grab each different file. Is this a possible workflow?

thank you again.

Darksuit
03-26-2010, 04:21 PM
you'd reference in the place holders then, in the reference editor change the pointer to point at the flower with the correct animation for that placeholder.

but Yes that does sound right.

1. create base rig save file
2. Create animation and save out animation to as a different name.
3. Create a box
4. create a new scene and reference in the box (no dont duplicate references, create a new reference).
5. Place referenced boxes where you want the flowers.
6. Open reference editor and change the file to be the flower animation you want.

This way if you need to update a single animation for a flower that is referenced in a scene several times, you update the animation once and when you reload the scene with the references you get all the flowers with that animation updated.

LuisGama
03-26-2010, 04:25 PM
Thats it! Thank you very much darksuit. As soon as i have something worth seeing ill keep you posted.

Hugs

LuisGama
04-19-2010, 01:53 AM
Well im back with more problems!

After weeks of hard-work i`ve finished my flower rig, made several copies of the same file, renamed them and made little adjustments so they could look a bit different.

After that i opened my main file, and started referencing the flowers. Flower_01, flower_02, flow...UPS! After referencing the second one, my rig&dynamics went to hell ;(, the hair system went nuts and some secondary deformations with a lattice didn't respond very well to the move tool also ;x

Any ideias?

thank you

CGTalk Moderation
04-19-2010, 01:53 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.