PDA

View Full Version : nCloth Help

BolOWaiN
03-26-2010, 09:46 AM
Hi all,

I can't seem to figure out what setting I need to change to get the effect of a ribbon following a path. I've created a motion path and attached the transform constraint that I have used to the path. It's pulling really nicely and all and I'm getting really nice dynamic flow to it, however I need the ribbon to flow between objects and what I am getting now is that the ribbon pulls through the objects and doesn't "stick" to the path. I understand why it does this, I just don't know how to make it not happen. I can't add collision objects because it then just doesn't look like it is flowing any more.

I have attached my file along with a top view of the scene.

The scene is maya 2009

Hope someone can help me on this.

Ben

Link to file (http://www.mediafire.com/file/wkmgmz2fdm4/upload.zip)

tpalamar
03-26-2010, 02:14 PM
I think I understand what you are trying to do. There are numerous ways to make this happen. One way would be to bind your ribbon to a spline IK setup using the curve as your spline. When you translate your joints they will pull through the curve, bringing your bound geometry along with it. Then make a duplicate of your ribbon and make that nCloth. Use your bound geometry then as an Input Mesh to your nCloth. You can then paint weights on the nCloth to alter how much the nCloth is allowed to simulate and how much it has to follow your bound geometry.

FluidEdge
03-26-2010, 03:55 PM
i've haven't seen the file but it looks like you might be moving the transform locator too quickly along the path? You could try slowing it down and then retiming the render in post.

Also the cloth could be too stiff or too attracted to it's original shape. Turn down the input mesh attract and bend resistance (starting with the silk preset is a good idea)

Duncan
03-26-2010, 06:27 PM
If you are pulling the ribbon from the leading edge and wish it to closely follow the path of the lead you can increase the drag (keep tangential drag at or near zero) so that the ribbon is constrained to easily move forward but not parallel to the surface normal. This works best with a tube shape, but a flat ribbon can work too.

Of course with the heavy drag the motion is highly damped.

I posted a scene file doing a similar effect here:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=86&t=634596&highlight=ribbon

Perhaps that thread will help you.

Duncan

BolOWaiN
03-29-2010, 09:07 AM
Hi Duncan,

Thanks for getting back to me, this is exactly what I was looking for as I didn't want to go for a faked solution. I think I have got a pretty nice sim going now.

Ben

CGTalk Moderation
03-29-2010, 09:07 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.