PDA

View Full Version : Rendering GI & FG in passes?

RickW
05-22-2002, 09:24 PM
Hello,

Is it possible to render an animation with GI and FG in passes?

I'd like to create a GI pass with is a preset already but there's no preset for Final Gathering..

So I I just created an empty pass with just Final Gathering turned on and just diffuse. No specular and no shadows.. I can render the specular and shadow in another pass.

My question is 2 parts.

1 - Is the above method the correct workflow or do both GI and FG have to be calculated in the same pass?

2- What operater do I use to composite the 2 pass? Over? Or do I need to use a Math operator with add? I tried both but it looks really bad. However when I render both GI and FG together in 1 pass it looks beautiful.

Thanks for your input.

Rick

sean_G
05-23-2002, 11:01 PM
yea id like to know that too... maybe a moderator will shed some knowledge...if i find out anything ill post it up.
good luck

EdHarriss
05-24-2002, 03:18 PM
You are correct. You do not have to calculate them in the same pass. What you did: Create a pass for your GI.
Then create an empty pass and turn off GI but turn on FG. Should work fine. I've done it before but I can't remember what operator I used to comp it though. If I get a chance to dig up that scene, I'll let you know how I did it.

RickW
05-30-2002, 07:10 AM
Thanks!

Rick

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.