PDA

View Full Version : Alfred Hitchcock Presents: The Birds (Animated Short)

zoetifex
03-24-2010, 03:22 PM
Watch the Animated Short on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W41m3TWnAIo)

zoetifex Studio's character animated piece that was put together as a demo for a possible animated TV Show. Although this was the final piece that was submitted, the team continues to work on the project to perfect the shot.
Producer/Director: Michael M. Kadrie
Adaptation: Michael M. Kadrie
Character Illustrations: Dustin Foust
Storyboard: Hasan Odom
Modeling (Alfred): Roger Borelli
Modeling (Bird): Júlio Cesar De Modesti
Rigging (Alfred): Jason Baskin
Rigging (Bird): Warren Speak
Additional Rigging: Jason Sanborn
Sound Editing: Michael M. Kadrie
Editing/Compositing: Michael M. Kadrie
UV Wrapping (Alfred): Gary Ritchie
UV Wrapping (Bird): Júlio Cesar De Modesti
UV Wrapping (Bird): Quinton Broadwater
Tex/Shading/Lighting: Quinton Broadwater
Texture (objects): Jason Sanborn
Lead Animator: Amelia Kurth
Animator: Brad Bradbury
Animator: Nathan Sawyer
Animator: Yisroel Broocker
Animator: Tom Lubanovic
Animator: Teresa Nord
Animator: Cristin McKee
Animator: Valerie Morrison
Animator: Aaron Zisman
Animator: Ben Richards
Animator: Jason Baskin

Original Audio Taken From: Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds Trailer 1963 Universal Pictures.

For more info, visit our website at www.zoetifex.com (http://www.zoetifex.com)

GoldenCamel
03-25-2010, 03:20 PM
Hitchcock caricature and model is very well done. Animation leaves a lot to be desired. Brad Bird says, "good character animation is capturing the essence of something (or someone) and putting your own spin on it" I can see the animators have captured Hitchcock's essence but unfortunately that's all they did. There is no exaggeration in the acting and they didn't push it far enough to be entertaining.

From a technical perspective, animation is good, it has weight, lip sync works well, arcs are good, so is the final polish and attention to details but as a performance, it doesn't inspire.

zoetifex
03-25-2010, 09:22 PM
GoldenCamel,
Thanks for your feedback. Please look for a "Making Of" video coming in the next week or two. The reason I am making that is due to a lot of questions and comments about the short. If you were to know how this was made, your criticisms might not be the same.
This piece was put together, under my direction, by artists from all over the world. Mostly here in the States, but a few from other countries as well. The reason we had so many animators was because of the short time frame we had to deliver the piece. This was just a demo and by no means a finished product. And because we are a start-up studio and I was looking for a good base of talent of which to build the studio around.
Everything was directed via the web and Skype conference calls. Each animator had between 4-9 seconds worth of animation to perform and they continue to tweak their work to this day (trying to perfect it a little more).
So while I agree with some of your assessments, given the conditions we were under and the time frame of just about 6 weeks worth of work, I don't think it turned out so bad.
These artists will eventually come to work for zoetifex as our studio starts to take shape. So I look at this as the bare minimum of work that we are able to accomplish.
Thanks again,
Michael M. Kadrie
zoetifex Studios

zoetifex
03-31-2010, 04:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvYmsXCu5X0

zoetifex
04-07-2010, 04:45 AM
We will begin the "Making Of" video next week and hopefully have it up within a week or two after that. It will help with all of the questions and comments we receive on the video. Thanks to all for your views.

zoetifex
05-26-2010, 02:05 AM
I keep getting comments about the amount of animators vs. the length of the animation. This will be cleared up in the "Making Of" video. This will be released in June 2010. Thanks for your patience.

zoetifex
07-02-2010, 11:53 PM
We've also been getting a lot of questions as to what we used.
Maya was used for the animation and the rigging. We used Maya and Modo for the modeling. And After Effects was used for the final compositing.
Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

CGTalk Moderation
07-02-2010, 11:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.