PDA

View Full Version : Mirroring complex Skeleton, Geometry and Constraints

Rich-M
03-24-2010, 05:39 AM
Hi, I'm new to rigging in Maya and working through an old "Learning Maya 5 Foundation" book which shows how to copy a limb by duplicating it with the Duplicate (Input Graph) tool and then moving it by hand.

This seems fine for a simple 2 piece arm but how would I go about mirroring a more complex arm rig without having to drag it around, line it up prefectly and reset joint orientation and other things by hand? Basically I'm looking for a tool or workflow that does what the mirror joint tool does- mirroring a skeleton but with several peices of geometry and contraints, IK handles and such as well.

Thanks!

royg
03-24-2010, 05:44 AM
Basically I'm looking for a tool or workflow that does what the mirror joint tool does- mirroring a skeleton but with several peices of geometry and contraints, IK handles and such as well.Yes, wouldn't that be great?

AFAIK, there is no tool (or workflow) that does that. You have to use mirror skeleton for the skeleton, duplicate, group and scale by -1 the controls, and setup the ik, constraints etc again. Someone was trying to write a script that would look at one side of a rig, determine all the connections etc and then automate the setup of the other side, but I don't know if it ever got finished.

Xeash
04-01-2010, 10:39 AM
Someone was trying to write a script that would look at one side of a rig, determine all the connections etc and then automate the setup of the other side, but I don't know if it ever got finished.

Yeah It will be never be released like tool which doing just mirroring. You will able to do it with it much more. When? Very soon.
http://xeash.net/?p=11

CGTalk Moderation
04-01-2010, 10:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.