PDA

View Full Version : Demo Reel 2009, MCafarelli

MCafarelli
03-24-2010, 02:27 AM
I know its a bit late to start posting 2009 demo reels, but since I just recently joined CGSociety (why did it take me this long?), I figured I'd post this now, until I have newer stuff to post.

Demo Reel 2009 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEEDtnJL7Pc&fmt=22)

check out my website, if you're interested:
CafarelliDigital (http://cafarellidigital.com/)

kelvincai
03-24-2010, 06:58 PM
I would like to ask what post of 3D productions you are looking for. Modeling, animation, lighting, etc. Then focus in one of those aspects and make your reel to show it.

From your reel contents, I guessed you like shading and lighting, or VFX. Please correct me if I am wrong. If so, you could give more details and lighting/shading variations. Eg, the B&W scene, you could give it more shade of gray and reveal more details of your models, if you want to keep it B&W. Something like that goes to your other contents too. Keep it up.

MCafarelli
03-25-2010, 12:02 AM
I would like to ask what post of 3D productions you are looking for. Modeling, animation, lighting, etc. Then focus in one of those aspects and make your reel to show it.

From your reel contents, I guessed you like shading and lighting, or VFX. Please correct me if I am wrong. If so, you could give more details and lighting/shading variations. Eg, the B&W scene, you could give it more shade of gray and reveal more details of your models, if you want to keep it B&W. Something like that goes to your other contents too. Keep it up.

I'd suppose my focus is on "cinematography"; camera movements/framing, lighting, atmosphere, pacing, etc. Traditionally, these are not common areas of focus for a 3D artist. I tend to agree on your suggestion on focusing on an element and showing specifically that in a demo reel (animation, modeling, etc). It seems that most people I show this to are confused as to what I do (in a 3D production). They can't place me easily in the production line, which is most likely why I'm still jobless.

The B&W scene, I do agree its very dark. I ended up having to darken it in order to "cover up" some mistakes and ugly textures, which is a terrible thing to do. Everything looked fine from a distance, but once that shot crept up close, the illusion started to break down. So instead of changing the shot, or working on the textures, I just masked the textures in darkness. Not proud of that, but I do like what the shot ended up as (as far as the pacing, DoF, and camera is concerned).

Thanks, and I'm currently working on new stuff (although, its still a bit different), so I hope to have more to post here soon.

weicger
03-25-2010, 04:19 AM
I like this job !!!

almagesto
03-25-2010, 09:40 AM
They can't place me easily in the production line, which is most likely why I'm still jobless.

are you jobless? have u applied for any company?

MCafarelli
03-25-2010, 11:18 AM
are you jobless? have u applied for any company?

well currently i work at a mind numbingly monotonous job, and i do various freelance websites here and there, but nothing that can be considered CG work/a career. I applied for a bunch of companies after graduating college, but got nothing from it. Im going to be applying again, once I get my act together a bit.

almagesto
03-25-2010, 10:02 PM
well currently i work at a mind numbingly monotonous job, and i do various freelance websites here and there, but nothing that can be considered CG work/a career. I applied for a bunch of companies after graduating college, but got nothing from it. Im going to be applying again, once I get my act together a bit.

yes man i dont think that ur reel is that strong, that s my personal opinion...

MCafarelli
03-26-2010, 02:31 AM
yes man i dont think that ur reel is that strong, that s my personal opinion...

And that's why I'm working to improve.

kelvincai
03-26-2010, 05:12 AM
If your interest is cinematography, do you mean director kind of cinematography or cameraman kind of cinematography?

The closest spot I could point a finger on could be lighting/shading, maybe storyboarding/animation too.

I would strongly suggest you choose an area you enjoy, correct all mistakes, finish the shots, and make the reel strong. Keep it up.

MCafarelli
03-26-2010, 12:09 PM
If your interest is cinematography, do you mean director kind of cinematography or cameraman kind of cinematography?
Good question. I'd suppose a little bit of both. (FYI, I have no formal training in cinematography, I just tend to gravitate towards that)

The closest spot I could point a finger on could be lighting/shading, maybe storyboarding/animation too.

I would strongly suggest you choose an area you enjoy, correct all mistakes, finish the shots, and make the reel strong. Keep it up.
Yes, I've thought about that as well. My strengths aren't modeling or rigging. I need more practice in that, as well as animation, and I've had the most experience in materials/lighting/effects/rendering/presentation. Its just difficult to showcase that when I don't have a good base for it (modeling); and I don't like to use other people's models, even if they are free.

Currently I'm working on a short that uses extremely simple shapes, but advanced materials/rendering/lighting techniques. I think after I finish that short, I'll begin working on improving my modeling, rigging, and animation skills.

kelvincai
03-26-2010, 12:24 PM
It is okay to use others' models. Just credit it and make sure the license is fine.

In production, it is usual that someone take someone's models to rig, someone take someone's rig to animate, and someone take someone's animation to render. But, knowing and getting good at all aspects are something very valuable.

CGTalk Moderation
03-26-2010, 12:24 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.