PDA

View Full Version : Medusa

manuhyd
03-23-2010, 07:47 PM
I'm trying to create a medusa kind of character and not able to handle multiple snakes on the head. I tried Joealter's Shave & Haircut's Geometry instance for hair.

Is their anyway that we can use instance geometry using maya hair?

kdronez
03-26-2010, 09:44 PM
Just 1 idea,but this will take lots of time :>.So aaaaam maybe you can make some joints for like 10-20 snakes and bind the snake skin(that you probably have) to them.Then you can draw a curves and make them dynamic and after that parent the joints to this new hair system that you just crreated with ik handle tool and after that you can anymate this currves to act like snakes.
I know where you take the idea I watched the movie and I think that all snakes was like independent :>.

I dont know if this helps you man I watch it somewhere when I was learning maya hair basics and I'm sure that I'm missing smth,but maybe this will give you idea or smth to start :>.Ofcourse theres probably much easyer way and pls post it here if you find it with some progress,I rly wana see it :>.

viki164
03-27-2010, 05:30 AM
Maya hair & PFX brush...!

ruchitinfushion
03-27-2010, 07:49 AM
Hey try to start with this Script
cgTkDynChain Enhanced 2.1.1 (http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/downloads/scripts-plugins/c/%E5%B1%B1%E5%AF%A8%E7%89%88-cgtkdynchain-enhanced--2)

And plz try to post ur WIP here(step by step).Enjoy

noizFACTORY
03-27-2010, 01:50 PM
If you use the new Shave and A Haircut (version 5 upwards), you can lock the shave nodes to maya hair system output curves. So you can use maya hair dynamics for simulation.

Since you'll be instancing snake geo on to the shave node, you might get inter-penetrations. I'd suggest this workflow for it.

Create your maya hair on the character with as many curves as you wish. Set your dynamics on them. Then you select the hair curves and grow shave fur on them. In the shave node, check the Interpolate option off. This will create a shave curve on each hair curve instead of bunching them all up together and growing them like fur.

I'll see if I can put a scene file together quickly.

-Sachin

noizFACTORY
03-27-2010, 05:06 PM
Here's a quick setup in Maya 2009 (64 bit) using the latest shave version and maya hair. The motion is horrible but if you use spline chain setups then you can get much better sine type motions which you can control and also get secondaries from the hair curves.

http://sachinmukti.com/uploads/medusa.zip

These files just show how you can setup the shave instances and have them use maya hair dynamics.

The test01 file has shave growing directly on the maya hair output curves. This method is useful for older shave versions where you couldn't lock the shave curves to a maya curve. It also lets you control the shave curve distribution on a per curve basis.

The test02 file has shave growing out of the head mesh itself but its locked to maya hair's output curves. That makes it follow the dynamic motion. Problem is, since its grown with interpolation, you can have penetrating instances if the count is a little high.

-Sachin

CGTalk Moderation
03-27-2010, 05:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.